Conformal Fuel Tanks

I don't care if it makes it look ugly, please include it. Everything to keep me from being forced to be dependent on air to air refueling to loiter more than five minutes (especially since the tankers just love to start doing very slow turns, because apparently it's not hard enough when they fly straight and level) :P

CFTs can only be carried by block 20 aircraft (Tranche 3) which aren't in active service yet. The ability to use them in a physical change to the aircraft structure and fuel system, so block 1-15 cannot use them.

They may be ugly, but for strike missions where you can't use wing tanks (Storm Shadow can/will only be carried/cleared on the centre wing station that carry tanks), they'll be pretty useful.

Although unless VEAO are doing a block 20+ we'll not be seeing them anyway.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Can't help noticing they appear to come a little too far forward to gain access to main avionics bays... think there may be a little tweaking to come yet!!

Damn good point that, hadn't paid that much attention to them, but now you mention it. They overlap the AV bay doors by around 6 inches or so.

Of course, that is only a model and they've never been fitted on an actual flying aircraft so we'll see.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

CFTs can only be carried by block 20 aircraft (Tranche 3) which aren't in active service yet. The ability to use them in a physical change to the aircraft structure and fuel system, so block 1-15 cannot use them.

They may be ugly, but for strike missions where you can't use wing tanks (Storm Shadow can/will only be carried/cleared on the centre wing station that carry tanks), they'll be pretty useful.

Although unless VEAO are doing a block 20+ we'll not be seeing them anyway.

When CFTs are mounted on a Typhoon, can they be removed? I mean, can they be added/removed depending on the mission?

Yes they are role equipment just like pylons, launchers, tanks, etc. although as they aren't in service and there is no data etc I wouldn't like to say how easy it is to fit or remove them.

Spoiler

Hmmmm, another very good point. I'm sure the designers have thought about such practical things though, especially when dealing with deployed aircraft and/or landaway's. :music_whistling:

Spoiler

Is it true that they're going to scrap the Tranche 1 (and maybe some Tranche 2) airframes long before end-of-life in order to get the Tranche 3 updates into the fleet?

Best regards,

Tango.

No.

However the out of service date for UK Tranche 1 jets isn't all that far away, but that's down to the number of hours they've flown and fatigue life etc. We've flown considerably (at least a third from the last number I saw) more hours than the 2nd place nation (Germany) and more than double the Italian and Spanish. Although there are some talks of extending them a bit further.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

"CFT's also free hardpoints for weapons or fuel tanks and only insignificantly increase an aircraft's radar cross-section."

The fact we don't have any active aircraft carriers it might be worth it!

Seen this F16?

800px-Israeli_F-16s_at_Red_Flag2.jpg

An Israeli Air Force F-16 from Ramon Air Base, Israel, moves into refueling position July 17, 2009 over the Nevada Test and Training Range during Red Flag 09-4.

Edited by TimeKilla
Adding more info

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.