advice for buying second video card

I run a computer with a single NVidia GTX 770. Am I correct that buying a second, identical video card will give me the best bang for my buck once DCSW2.0 has been released?

In any case, I need your advise, since I am hardware-illiterate: is it as simple as buying a second identical card and sticking it in the appropriate slot on my computer, or is it more complicated than that? I have heard the terms SLI and Crossfire used for running two cards in parallel. Are those software solutions, or do I need to buy a special cable to connect the two cards, or what?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated, and keep it simple, please, I am not familiar with most computer-speak...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Crossfire is the AMD version and SLI is Nvidia's. Nvidia cards will come with part needed to connect the two cards. Yes, you want the identical card. You do need to have the appropriate slot available on the mobo, of course.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You only need another Gtx770, whatever the brand.

You need the power supply: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

As long as you don't know the distance between the two cards, purchase the flexible one (SLI bridge):

Agreed. I shouldn't have used the word identical and PSU output might be an issue depending on what you currently have.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, identical GPU but I would also try to match memory amount so one card doesn't have wasted memory.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have an 850 W power supply, and this is just what I need (according to Demon's link) for 2x GTX770 SLI (assuming that recommendation includes also enough power for the remaining hardware). So, my question now, in people's experience is 850W enough to run 2x GTX770 SLI plus the rest of the computer?

Thanks!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I also have 2 gtx 980's in sli running off an 850 watt psu, All i need now is a better monitor im limited to 60 fps so a new monitor would be ideal in the next step, Is it true you can get better SLI connectors between cards ? or doesnt it matter.

I run a computer with a single NVidia GTX 770. Am I correct that buying a second, identical video card will give me the best bang for my buck once DCSW2.0 has been released?

In any case, I need your advise, since I am hardware-illiterate: is it as simple as buying a second identical card and sticking it in the appropriate slot on my computer, or is it more complicated than that? I have heard the terms SLI and Crossfire used for running two cards in parallel. Are those software solutions, or do I need to buy a special cable to connect the two cards, or what?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated, and keep it simple, please, I am not familiar with most computer-speak...

SLI is actually really useful and quite fun. Just gotta makes sure you understand not all games support it and sometimes games are just poorly optimized for it, if you're getting it for DCS world 2.0, you'll be set, they are heavily invested into making it SLI/CFX capable.

I bought 2 570's back in the day and was super happy about the buy, just switching from SLI on and off i saw a huge difference (atm using a 980 TI SC).

The only thing you need for SLI is to make sure you're on the same core clock of both cards. A superclocked factory card won't work with a non superclocked card for SLI.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have an 850 W power supply, and this is just what I need (according to Demon's link) for 2x GTX770 SLI (assuming that recommendation includes also enough power for the remaining hardware). So, my question now, in people's experience is 850W enough to run 2x GTX770 SLI plus the rest of the computer?

Thanks!thumbup.gif

PLENTY of space. You're fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolle did you find your second gtx770? I was in the same boat as you was gonna SLi 2 770's. Ended up every where I looked the 770 was same price or close to the GTX970. So the second thing I think Oculus rift consumer version specs was calling for a GTX970. not for sure will hunt down the specs for that to verify...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wolle did you find your second gtx770? I was in the same boat as you was gonna SLi 2 770's. Ended up every where I looked the 770 was same price or close to the GTX970. So the second thing I think Oculus rift consumer version specs was calling for a GTX970. not for sure will hunt down the specs for that to verify...

So i just read the cv1 oculus recommended specs for gtx970.just want to correct my post. I havnt heard on the minimum specs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really like the fact that the new Win 10 has DX12 and my two 4 gig gpu's will now

actually be running 8 gigs of video ram now !!!

:pilotfly:

I was reading on the Linus Techtips Forums: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341982-will-dx12-double-the-vram-in-slicrossfire/.

I don't see why you would want to use the frame buffers independently. The reason that SLI right now mirrors the VRAM is because pulling files from one card to the other would increase memory latency enormously. Video cards rely on being able to access information very quickly. I would think that unless you are maxing out your frame buffer, you would only decrease your performance.

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information."-Michael Scott

System Specs: i5 4570 OC'ed to 3.6GHZ (It was free, what can I say), Gigabyte B85M-DS3H, 8Gb Team Elite Plus, Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming OC'ed to 1600MHZ, 240Gb OCZ Arc 100 SSD, Raidmax Aztec Case, Saitek X55, and GhettoIR.