Rocket accuracy

Puma

Hey hawg pilots. Im working on maple flags a2g aft mission. Flown it 6 times. I have a great gun attack profile and get kills over 95% of passes and feel very in control.

Rockets are causing me a great deal of difficulty. I use the same profile. Via dsms launch only one side at a time and offset the pipper accordingly. They just seem random, hitting within a 75' range. Often flying long so I increased my dive angle. I used 14 rockets and got 4 hits 2 of which were kills.

Can anyone offer advice for plinking trucks with rockets?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Kimi from the 476th posted video last year consisting of different bomb runs, rockets, and guns.

Take a look at how he's tipping into the target(s) and lining up. If you can catch his kneeboard he pulls up a few times, it would help in understanding the profile and how he's executing it.

He's got links in the description to skip to the relevant parts of the video.

Ensure you're at 1g on firing, and negative (or positive) G will top the rockets as they leave the launchers, causing them to go short/long.

What are your release parameters? Knowing that would help give more guidance.

Post a video (or track, with what version is was made it) if you can as well.

....and offset the pipper accordingly.

Offset according to what?

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Great feedback guys. I will try wind correction, watch those vids and post a track if that doesnt help.

When I say offset, if im launching from the left rocket pod I aim about 1/8th piper right. Im missing by way more than the offset of my aiming and it feels pretty random.

Wind is promising. Gs are possible too. I guess bullets are faster so less susceptible to g effects?

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Great feedback guys. I will try wind correction, watch those vids and post a track if that doesnt help.

Forget wind correction, it's one of the biggest red herrings in DCS. Wind will only have a noticeable effect if your delivery is already bad from the start, unless you're employing is very bad weather and/or from high altitude. This will almost certainly not be your prime issue.

If your delivery is sound from the outset, the the standard IFFCC wind correction will be more than adequate.

When I say offset, if im launching from the left rocket pod I aim about 1/8th piper right. Im missing by way more than the offset of my aiming and it feels pretty random.

And why are you doing that, where did you hear that it was necessary? It isn't. Aim at the target/desired munition point of impact.

Wind is promising. Gs are possible too. I guess bullets are faster so less susceptible to g effects?

All ordnance is affected by aircraft Gz/Gy and aircraft attitude at release. However all will have more noticeable affects on some ordnance and less on others.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I got the pipper offset idea from recon stewarts aft06 youtube video. He used it but never claimed it was an official technque, so roger that. Will aim dead center tonight. Cant wait to try.

Not much more luck tonight. I have attached TRK. I'm not going to claim this is textbook flight, but several are good released IMO and still no kill. Interestingly in tacview almost every one gets credit as a hit but still very few kills.

AFT07 Rockets Suck.zip

Several visually exploded ON the target truck, but still nothing. Could this be a bug or setting issue? Looking forward to feedback.

Does anyone else press the gun trigger to stage one for PAC and then fire rockets? I've found that to help with my runs as it does the same stabilization as a gun run. I know the manual doesn't state to do it but I've found that it works just the same.

Does anyone else press the gun trigger to stage one for PAC and then fire rockets? I've found that to help with my runs as it does the same stabilization as a gun run. I know the manual doesn't state to do it but I've found that it works just the same.

Good question! I tried it earlier but it didn't "feel" like it worked like it does when you pac-1 during a gun run. I'll try it again though, and am interested to see if any others can confirm.

I suspect that your problem is mostly that in DCS rockets with a calibre less than 100mm have a tiny explosion radius. As a result you practically need a direct hit to kill a target (even the likes of a truck). It might be worth trying a few different kinds of rocket: the HE rockets should outperform the HEAT ones against soft targets. You can also try launching from a closer range to get a tighter spread- the pipper will probably tell you that the target is in range when you are around 2 nmi away, but closing to 1 nm before firing will give you way better accuracy.

As far as firing is concerned, rockets are less affected by G and more by angle of attack/sideslip. This is because they are aerodynamically stabilized: once their fins deploy they will want to point into the apparent wind regardless of what else is happening. The rocket engine is accelerating the rocket at the same time- net result is that if you launch from anything but low AoA coordinated flight they will travel in a curve, causing them to miss.

Flew again last night; tried increased attack speed to naturally reduce aoa. Might have helped a little but didn't eliminate it. With all this practice My runs are more consistent, so I noticed I consistenly miss short. Thus I started aiming long. In a steady run with the pipper tracking from short through the target I pickled with the primary aiming dot about 1/3rd of the pipper radius passed the target, and got a kill on 2 consecutive passes; massive improvement.

I hate having to adjust like this and still suspect something is wrong, either configuration, bug, or me! At leat this seems to be a passable technique.

IIRC in one of the interviews that was posted on these forums, the pilot stated that the problem with rockets is that the pods are holding in four screws and this can have impact on accuracy. Although if that is true, I believe that this probably is not the reason of low rocket accuracy.

With enough training you will be able to use them proficiently, in my experience you will get best effects with launching at close range - the explosions are quite tiny and as was stated before you need a direct hit to get a kill. Also try using ripples of two for each pull of the trigger.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png