Trim This Beast Out Straight and Level?

jda8818

Hello,

Anybody notice how hard this is to accomplish? It would be impossible to certify an airplane that is this unstable, and it seems to be worse in 'game' flight mode oddly enough. 2000 ft/min up, 3000 ft/min down, etc.

Played with dead spots, curvature, saturation, etc. with some improvement, but still way more difficult than the real thing.

I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog and trying to make trim adjustments as delicately as possible, but the airplane acts like the CG is way aft.

Any comments would be appreciated.

jda8818

Hello,

Anybody notice how hard this is to accomplish? It would be impossible to certify an airplane that is this unstable, and it seems to be worse in 'game' flight mode oddly enough. 2000 ft/min up, 3000 ft/min down, etc.

Played with dead spots, curvature, saturation, etc. with some improvement, but still way more difficult than the real thing.

I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog and trying to make trim adjustments as delicately as possible, but the airplane acts like the CG is way aft.

jda8818

Can you go into the axis setup, or possibly the warthog HOTAS software that all axis are working fine?

Is the stability augmentation system engaged?

Is the enhances attitude control engaged?

For long sessions of flight I do not trim the plane for level flight. I use the autopilot in ALT/Heading mode to travel large distances. I use ALT (Wich also holds bank) in order to orbit. and I use PATH in order to climb.

Check my F-15C guide

Sryan:

The axis controls (pitch, roll, yaw) all work fine; I've spent plenty of time tuning etc. There does not appear to be a way to modify the trim tab response.

I'm not familiar with the 'stability augmentation system' and 'attitude enhancement' controls but I'll look those items up after I post this reply, and I'll try to get back on the forum with some results. I will be a happy pilot if these systems stabilize the airplane.

Thanks for your interest Sryan,

jda8818

Sryan:

The axis controls (pitch, roll, yaw) all work fine; I've spent plenty of time tuning etc. There does not appear to be a way to modify the trim tab response.

I'm not familiar with the 'stability augmentation system' and 'attitude enhancement' controls but I'll look those items up after I post this reply, and I'll try to get back on the forum with some results. I will be a happy pilot if these systems stabilize the airplane.

Thanks for your interest Sryan,

jda8818

You're welcome. Both systems are described starting from page 48 of the manual. I suppose you'll be delighted to read that the first sentence describing the SAS (Stability Augmentation System) reads:

"The SAS improves the handling qualities of the A-10 and allows better and finer control. This results in better target tracking and reduces the amount of trimming needed"

The SAS system is described in detail on page 148 of the manual.

EAC (Enhanced Attitude Control) is part of the LASTE (Low Altitude Safety and Targeting enhancement) sytem. This is described in more details starting from the bottom of page 136. Note that EAC "Demands" certain conditions to be met before it works. To the point that a magnet will pull the switch back to the off position if the EAC is not satisfied. The requirements are described in that chapter of the manual.

I am wondering if you do your own startup? I see you only registered this month (welcome to the forums!) and have a low post count. Many new pilots choose automatic start or a pre-started plane for their first few missions. Those automaticly take care of any SAS and EAC requirements. thumbs up if you start learning the start-up procedure from the beginning!

Check my F-15C guide

Hey,

just a quick tip : the sensitivity of the trim correlate to the length of the button presses. I overcame the problem by reducing the length of a single keydown-keyup event in my joystick programming software (TARGET). This way i am able to perfectly trim the plan for a specific aituation.

• Like 1

Hello,

jda8818

That sounds like some axis conflict, the A-10 is probably the easiest place to trim in DCS.

I don't know how experienced you are, could it be that you are not using the right technique for trimming an aircraft?

Try this:

1 Pull/push on the stick to until your VVI is at 0 (or close to)

2 Let the stick go and see if the plane starts to climb or dive

3 tap a few times on the trim in the opposite direction

Repeat the steps until until you have it trimmed.

With time you won't have to do it like this and you'll just be able to dial in the right amount of trim straight away.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Actually, correct trimming procedure is to add trim while releasing pressure on the stick, not release and then trim.

You shouldn't be flying with the trim.

Yeah, in a real aircraft with proportional stick forces. For a beginner playing with a joystick the stick forces won't be so obvious. And no, you shouldn't be flying with the trim (don't think I suggested it anywhere) ;)

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• 3 years later...
Hey,

just a quick tip : the sensitivity of the trim correlate to the length of the button presses. I overcame the problem by reducing the length of a single keydown-keyup event in my joystick programming software (TARGET). This way i am able to perfectly trim the plan for a specific aituation.

Hi Madog - would very much like to do this. Is it simple to achieve? I use T.A.R.G.E.T with NoID's A-10C profile.

Sledge

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2020 at 9:41 PM, TheSledge said:

Hi Madog - would very much like to do this. Is it simple to achieve? I use T.A.R.G.E.T with NoID's A-10C profile.

Sledge

Hey Sledge, better (very) late than never, i guess:

The default delay (and key pulse duration) can be adjusted with the following function call:
SetKBRate(25, 33); // PULSE is 25 ms, D() is 33 ms

See T.A.R.G.E.T Script Editor Basics User Manual v1.5 – 23/60