Pitot never freeze

bob_baer

Yeah I had it freeze on me the other day.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

LOL, I read "pilot" never freeze. Made me think if airco is simulated :D

It does work, when it freezes you will normally get constant speed value and weird alt readings.

LOL. I read it that way as well and I was thinking to myself "What the hell are these people talking about?" :D

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ever heard people complaining that their stall warning is not working or won't shut up? It's because they're flying up high with their pitot heat off and their AOA sensor froze. I've had it happen to me a few times.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I've had the pitot freeze up once. After that I always make double sure I turn on pitot heating

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the other side of the coin, is there any serious concern for NOT turning off the Pitot Heat after landing for a refuel/reload/repair when you're on the ground for 30 minutes or so....especially in an environment like Nevada? Just curious

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

On the other side of the coin, is there any serious concern for NOT turning off the Pitot Heat after landing for a refuel/reload/repair when you're on the ground for 30 minutes or so....especially in an environment like Nevada? Just curious

Not sure if it's modeled, but pitot heating makes the tube really hot (I've felt one on a F-16 pre-flight), and I would assume you want to turn it off as part of the "cleared runway" procedure. If you look at Snoopy's Launch Procedure video (

), he says they turn on pitot heat, CC verifies it is hot, then it's turned off again. I assume it's left off until final checks before entering the runway.

Edited by SnorreSelmer

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know. Military technology can sometimes be self-contradictory. You want things low-tech to minimise points of failure, but you also want them to be high-tech enough to keep maintenance to a minimum... ;)

So you might want a heat-sensor to keep the pitot from overheating, but if the sensor breaks then the pitot will either overheat or not heat at all...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]