Force trim sound

Suchacz

It shouldn't be as loud as the Shark's. I'm pretty sure the UH-1 force trim is about the same as that in a B206, which I've flown, and you couldn't even hear it. From what I understand, the force trim system being so loud in the Shark is one of its unique attributes.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Ok, thx. It was only my notion based on flying BS and watching Mi-8 videos, where this sound is nearly as loud as a gunshot :D

But I didn't find any video with this sound in Huey.

Regarding Force Trim, what does it do? I don't mean the trim button, but the actual force trim switch which can be set to on/off? Does it enable/disable the actual trim functionality? Or is it something else?

Does it enable/disable the actual trim functionality?

Exactly. It is disabling that system, those electromagnets or whatever is there :smilewink:

IMHO this is not far from the real thing

Ok. And why would a real pilot use it? In emergency situations or to "reset" the trim? Like, why not just simply don't trim the aircraft in the first place while leaving the force trim on? Or is the activation of the system some kind of trade off...? ah well, it doesnt really matter, I understand the functionality now, just curious :)

Exactly. It is disabling that system, those electromagnets or whatever is there :smilewink:

IMHO this is not far from the real thing

Where did you get that joystick? That looks just like a Huey cyclic!!

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

TM F/A-18 Stick | Virpil WarBRD | WinWIng F/A-18 HOTAS

Isn't the current force trim sound too quiet? For me it's hardly audible. IMHO that click-clack sound should be louder... :huh:

It was recorded from the real thing. I know, I did the recording. It's not very loud IRL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haha, there's no way you could hear a button's click in a helicopter. It surprises me people say you can apparantly hear it in the Ka-50. Russian old fashioned technology I guess.

Force trim is used to trim out the forces that are working on the cyclic. Pressing and releasing the force trim holds the cyclic in the current position, so you don't have to push or pull the cyclic anymore.

If you don't use the force trim, you're gonna get a sore wrist after not too long :)

Oh c'mon, don't play smarta§§. Of course I know very well what force trim is. I was talking about a loudness of this sound in Huey, because I know from my personal experience that the trim-mechanism sound in Mi-8 is pretty loud and well noticable in all that cabin noise from the engines and rotor.

Haha, there's no way you could hear a button's click in a helicopter. It surprises me people say you can apparantly hear it in the Ka-50. Russian old fashioned technology I guess.

In the Ka-50 and Mi-8/17 (and likely every other Russian helicopter), it's not the button itself that makes the noise.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Russian helicopters have a relay that controls the force trim. Relays on Russian helicopters are...well..archaic is not the right word...more like...heavy duty. Maybe they were designed to be EMP-proof, who knows. At any rate, they are very loud when they energize/deenergize. And the relay for the force trim, at least on Mi-8/17 series and apparently the Ka-50 as well, is located in the cockpit area.

It may stand to reason that people who are not familiar with actual helicopters may think that what happens in one just transfers to another. At least that's my assumption.

In AS365, with engines running you can barely hear it. Although if you are paying attention to it, you can identify the sound. After engines shutdown or before engine start you can hear it perfectly fine "click-clack". :D

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits