Why not release a Beta Patch ?

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Why not ? a late Beta Patch?

No, please, do not release beta!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Why not? we could even provide useful feedback.

I know I could not! That's why there are beta testers!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Hi all.

:icon_wink :icon_jook :icon_weed :biggrin:

I'd be a great beta tester.................yep, sure would, uh-huh, yep.

I could provide all kinds of feedback about how every jet I fly isn't working the way I THINK it should. That every missile I fire is porked. Hell, I'd even provide useful feedback about the depleted urainium rounds. I have a load of freinds who could help with the feedback too. They know someone who talked to someone who is related to someone that watched Discovery Wings and they say that it is not modeled right.

Yep, I'd be a great beta tester. So what do you say ED? Having me on the team would just speed the process right along.

-KILSEK

Some sort of auto-updater for LockOn would be a cool addon. But the patches should be moreoften. yes.

Maybe ED has a huge mess in their code, and that's why with even a little change of something, like minor missaligned text, they break 3 other major things. ;)

jk ED :P

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I would prefer that they make smaller patches, but more of them (and more often). This waiting for 4-6 months for 1 patch sucks!! Most other companies would have given 3 or 4 in that time (Lead Pursuit for instance).

We don't need IL-2 patch situation, do we?:)

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Because it isn't out of Beta.

Aka not acceptable for consumption.

End of discussion, it will be released when its ready. OR let the whining start.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Second that. Im playing old games while I wait. LOMAC is resting for now. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Guest ThomasDWeiss
End of discussion, it will be released when its ready. OR let the whining start.

The whining season is on. Maybe a less ambitious patch would be best.

How about we just wait.

But that's the very thing we're trying to avoid; it's going to happen by default, anyway ;)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Guest ThomasDWeiss

I am waiting. One of the problems of BIIIIG patches - is that it takes so long to create them. I would rather see smaller patches being released every three months.

By the time this MEGA-Patch is released - late November, early December LOCK ON Black Shark 1.2 will be just around the corner, and it will be completely useless as most of us will move on to 1.2 .

Only those that buy at the bargain-bin will be happy.

Thomas, I understand how you feel, but there is effort involved in the act of releasing a patch so I can understand ED's attitude in getting "One patch to rule them all" so they dont have to expend the effort several times.

And it isn't really the effort of creating them, it is the effort of testing them. I worked on Air Traffic Control radar software for over 20 years - 5% of my job was the actual writing of the code, 20% doing design and documentation, 75% was testing.

So releasing (eg three) smaller patches takes even longer as you have three times the amount of testing to do. Much of the testing is regression testing, ie. checking that your patch hasn't mistakenly messed up areas that (should) be unaffected.

Also when you patch over older patches, it makes things tougher still, I know - I have had to do it back in the day at work - it is a real pain in the ass.

As for Black Shark, anyone who really thinks this will be out before (at the earliest) late summer 2006 is an eternal optimist and has no experience of Software Development.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

• ED Team
Hi all.

:icon_wink :icon_jook :icon_weed :biggrin:

I'd be a great beta tester.................yep, sure would, uh-huh, yep.

I could provide all kinds of feedback about how every jet I fly isn't working the way I THINK it should. That every missile I fire is porked. Hell, I'd even provide useful feedback about the depleted urainium rounds. I have a load of freinds who could help with the feedback too. They know someone who talked to someone who is related to someone that watched Discovery Wings and they say that it is not modeled right.

Yep, I'd be a great beta tester. So what do you say ED? Having me on the team would just speed the process right along.

-KILSEK

ROFL

Guest ThomasDWeiss
Much of the testing is regression testing, ie. checking that your patch hasn't mistakenly messed up areas that (should) be unaffected.

True - I noticed how LO AI is sensitive to minimal changes when building missions, many times small changes resulted in the AI acting in a completely different way, showing how much coding went into creating the AI routines.

Even so, If the patch is released very late, it will be very disappointing.

Come March 1st, LO-BLACK S. be better ready, no BS.;)

It seems like people are getting frustrated waiting on this patch :confused:

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

ok here we go i do not know why thay call it a patch becose to patch is not to make something better its to cover or to stregthen a weak spot so do we need this?

or are we talking about- to produce or bring together roughly, crudly, or hurriedly or to piece together lazy like.

or to bring to an end ; to make right.

so we are in the state of patchiness :)

sixersig4iv.jpg

do not run fly!

Thomas, I understand how you feel, but there is effort involved in the act of releasing a patch so I can understand ED's attitude in getting "One patch to rule them all" so they dont have to expend the effort several times.

And it isn't really the effort of creating them, it is the effort of testing them. I worked on Air Traffic Control radar software for over 20 years - 5% of my job was the actual writing of the code, 20% doing design and documentation, 75% was testing.

So releasing (eg three) smaller patches takes even longer as you have three times the amount of testing to do. Much of the testing is regression testing, ie. checking that your patch hasn't mistakenly messed up areas that (should) be unaffected.

Also when you patch over older patches, it makes things tougher still, I know - I have had to do it back in the day at work - it is a real pain in the ass.

As for Black Shark, anyone who really thinks this will be out before (at the earliest) late summer 2006 is an eternal optimist and has no experience of Software Development.

Thanks Brit_Radar_Dude. I was going to write a reply to this thread, but you just saved me the trouble - your reply is 100% spot on! :D

Especially this bit...

Much of the testing is regression testing, ie. checking that your patch hasn't mistakenly messed up areas that (should) be unaffected.

....which answers Thomas´s question in regards to smaller patches :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ