POLL: BEST PLANE IN A2A ROLE IN DCS WW2  

218 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: BEST PLANE IN A2A ROLE IN DCS WW2

• P-51
    • Spitfire
    • FW-190D
    • P-47
    • 109K4

Agree with Yob and USARStarkey about pilot skill and also about the level of simulation we're getting in these new crates is going to be beyond anything I've experienced before in combat sims and makes me really relish the thought of flying them all. My money is on the Dora or Kurfurst though.

I'm a little surprised at the love the mkIX has got in the poll, I was thinking it will be off the pace compared to the other later models but I'm still going to love flying it loads.

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Spitfire gets the votes because it has always been made ez-mode in other flight sims. I really don't see how a Mk IX is going to match the 109K and 190D-9, unless people are silly enough to turn on the deck, which they will be.

Well it was inevitable that someone would start the indignant whingeing because a plane they hate got votes.

Come on bongo, there is a bit of truth in what he said the spit has always been an easy late war aircraft in other sims, however Yo-Yo has stated that the spit will come as a bit of a surprise to everyone in DCS so hopefully the same will not be true for DCS WWII :)

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Agree with Yob and USARStarkey about pilot skill and also about the level of simulation we're getting in these new crates is going to be beyond anything I've experienced before in combat sims and makes me really relish the thought of flying them all. My money is on the Dora or Kurfurst though.

I'm a little surprised at the love the mkIX has got in the poll, I was thinking it will be off the pace compared to the other later models but I'm still going to love flying it loads.

Very true, now imagine if we had a XIV :)

Of course I would prefer a Typhoon or a Tempest.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Come on bongo, there is a bit of truth in what he said the spit has always been an easy late war aircraft in other sims, however Yo-Yo has stated that the spit will come as a bit of a surprise to everyone in DCS so hopefully the same will not be true for DCS WWII :)

Yes, hopefully all we are getting is accuracy and things perform as they did, I was slightly concerned when I read yo-yo's post because it seemed he was referring to a NACA test report of a MkV to qualify the statement, one thing the Spitfire should not be is a surprise.

Bit of a biased vote towards Spitfire for me. Although i prefer the very late war ones, especially the Griffin versions, over the IX's Unless they are the Clipped Wing models.

Mustang, although easy to guess being the D version, should have made it visible on the post, as could have the horrible Allison engined versions.

Sadly though, my preferred aircraft in a fighter role isn't going to be added being the Hawker Tempest, Followed by Typhoon in a joint first with Mosi' for ground attack for Brits at least. P47D is brilliant for that role.

Yes, hopefully all we are getting is accuracy and things perform as they did, I was slightly concerned when I read yo-yo's post because it seemed he was referring to a NACA test report of a MkV to qualify the statement, one thing the Spitfire should not be is a surprise.

Ditto: the vast majority of Spitfire IXs had the elevators with the extended horn balances which completely altered their characteristics: I have a set of Spitfire VII/VIII Pilot's Notes published in December 1943 (NOT reproductions) which describe the differences: the Spitfire IX PNs have almost identical comments:

SpitfireVIIIcov-001_zpsa05dd24b.jpg

SpitfireVIIIPNTP-001_zpsb8d8e569.jpg

SpitfireVIIIPNs1-001_zpsf40f669f.jpg

SpitfireVIIIPNs2-001_zpsf44b63bb.jpg

Spitfire gets the votes because it has always been made ez-mode in other flight sims. I really don't see how a Mk IX is going to match the 109K and 190D-9, unless people are silly enough to turn on the deck, which they will be.

The fundamental problem with the Spit IX is that its some 40 mph slower than any of the others. It can't dictate the terms, basically its like shooting at a Soviet biplane in Il-2 - it might be annoying or time consuming, but unless you behave very silly, sooner or later you will land a crippling hit. Or someone else will.

Not to diss the plane, by late 1944 this Mark was obviously becoming tactically obsolete - it was an 1942 plane after all. And the awkward control characteristics are too well known.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Also, Just posting my 2 cents. I don't want this to be a debate so if you post don't start making direct responses to other people if your intent is to be contentious.

If you don't want people to argue about politics, then don't ask them to vote in an election! :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Top speed was only good for running away as combat took place at a much lower speed that max speed.

The only fighting that takes place below max speed is the kind you hope not to get into.

Beyond that, if one is to consider some arbitrary combat speed as a fraction of the total max speed then still the Spit IX should be inferior since if you in any other craft lose 40 MPH in the first turn, you're still 40 MPH faster than the guy who had 40 MPH less than you at the merge.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

If you don't want people to argue about politics, then don't ask them to vote in an election! :)

What? Are you instilled with some kind of irresistible urge to argue? This post is intended just to see what people are expecting. I don't want this to turn into a debate, which some people seem to have just ignored regarding the spitfire.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

This arguments don't lead to anything.

On another forum i have seen people that were thinking the p51 was better than me262 .

I like german planes.But i don't think i'm biased when i say all the planes above are about equal.Depends on the pilot.What plane he or she preferes and can do well with.

Are you not aware that this forum can be accessed by people on the internet?

HAHAHA :thumbup:

Genuine LOL at that thanks, have some rep :)

Project IX Cockpit

What? Are you instilled with some kind of irresistible urge to argue? This post is intended just to see what people are expecting. I don't want this to turn into a debate, which some people seem to have just ignored regarding the spitfire.

No. I was merely pointing out the futility of posting an opinion poll and expecting nobody to defend their opinion.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I am excited about getting to use a fighter which is designed for turn capability rather than energy fighting. So that makes me interested in the Spitfire.

I forsee most of my time being spent in the P-47 though, the complexity of its controls interests me. I don't think I can get behind the German design priority of having everything automated, I want levers to push and handles to spin.

That's why I want a Russian fighter at some stage.

• Like 1

The constant through out all the Luftwaffe pilots accounts I have read is that the number one most feared and respected of all the allied aircraft was the Spitfire.

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team

It will be much like the reaction the P-51D got from most, they will be surprised when their tricks and tactics from other sims dont work quite the same, its much like the F-15C PFM, people are having to adapt to a more realistic flying experience. I think that is the basis of Yo-Yo's post.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

It will be much like the reaction the P-51D got from most, they will be surprised when their tricks and tactics from other sims dont work quite the same, its much like the F-15C PFM, people are having to adapt to a more realistic flying experience. I think that is the basis of Yo-Yo's post.

:thumbup: That's what I got from his message.

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
Seeing as Kurfurst is such an expert on the Spitfire, would it be possible for him to elucidate us on what these well known awkward control characteristics were, and how they affected fighter vs fighter operations as conducted by 2 TAF in 1944, and how these awkward characteristics can best be simulated and how they will influence combat in this flight sim? Hopefully some good documentation will be provided so we can all learn. TIA :thumbup:

Or better yet, just accept someone has an opinion and not worry about how it affects your opinion and then we can all wait till these birds are released, and settle it in the virtual skies...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The constant through out all the Luftwaffe pilots accounts I have read is that the number one most feared and respected of all the allied aircraft was the Spitfire.

Bah! rubbish! they never met up on the business end of "whistling Death"! ;)

http://www.classicfighters.org/content/chance-vought-f4u-4-corsair-history :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control