Can a Gazelle really do this?

Holbeach

• ED Team

guys if you have short tracks showing these issues attach them.

It is way more helpful than describing them or you tube videos.

Also a reminder for some going forward

1.10 Product feedback and constructive criticism is encouraged when provided in a mature and courteous manner. However, feedback that is abusive, insulting or condescending is not welcome

http://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If I had my hardware next to me I would do that, maybe I will be able to record a track later today.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes guys, a lot of things were fixed and modified on the next update, we don't tell you this only to keep you quiet ^^

So you should perhaps wait for the next update to see if the issues you meet are fixed or not. From Chizh on the russians forums, it seems that 1.5.4 may be out on next friday, perhaps, if as planned, Saturn meets Venus in Canis major.

:D

Nicolas

on next friday, perhaps, if as planned, Saturn meets Venus in Canis major.

I hope not, because that is completely impossible! :D

EDIT: We actually had that conjunction in January, but it was in Scorpius. Canis Major is too far away from the ecliptic, there aren't any planets there ever.

Edited by Aginor

I hope not, because that is completely impossible! :D

EDIT: We actually had that conjunction in January, but it was in Scorpius. Canis Major is too far away from the ecliptic, there aren't any planets there ever.

It's perfectly possible, it's just a matter of perspective. :D

Move away from Earth a light year or two in the right direction, and you'll see all the planets in conjunction in Canis Major. The Canis Major may look a bit different from there though. :smartass:

• Like 1

It's great that people are so passionate, but unfortunate that they can't communicate positively.

Perhaps damage modeling is the issue, not the flight model? As mentioned earlier, crazy moves lead to serious damage.

Keep up the great work. Ignore the negative comments that can't be phrased constructively.

Oh dear! Leave the kids alone for a few days and they start playing with the stars.

As my question was a rhetorical one, I will answer it myself.

No, the real Gazelle can't do the things shown in the video and walk away unscathed and in full control.

A test pilot would have rotated the helicopter at max and if he had achieved the 90 rpm as shown, his eyeballs would have been stuck on the inside of the front screen, It just couldn't be done.

The Gazelle is also descending. This would create in upward force on the horizontal tail stabilizer, pushing the nose down causing the speed to increase, a roll would start and a violent downward spiral at this kind of rotation would end in destruction.

It simply could not revolve at this speed , in a stable state, until the fuel ran out. There appears to be no air resistance on the large tail surface, which is moving at 120 kph sideways.

With the regards to the full stick forward roll, I was expecting at least the rotor to come off and maybe the tail, in this 2.1 negative G push, but nothing happened and I flew away unaffected.

For those that say, you shouldn't be flying a helo like this, I say you shouldn't be able to fly a helo like this. I fly it till it breaks to see what the limits are, but this one doesn't break.

I feel we have a FM and damage problem here and I have asked this question, as feedback to Polychop, who I hope will treat it as such.

Regards.

Edited by Holbeach
Grammar.
  • Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Currently the G damages are under work and testing, some should be implemented on the next update for high G maneuvers.

Here are a couple of tracks I hope might help.

The first is total hands/feet free (except last 2 secs,) 90 rpm rotation, landing.

The 2nd is, hands/feet free 90 rpm rotation, then full fwd stick, full aft stick repeated, followed by full left, then full right stick, then full ground contact.

The Gazelle is impossible to damage in the air, this is why you can do stuff you shouldn't be able to. Only the ground will kill it.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Thanks.

I will be looking forward to trying it and comparing against the previous tracks and video.

Is the next update for 1.5 beta or 1.5 stable?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Is the next update for 1.5 beta or 1.5 stable?

The plan was to update 1.5 stable to 1.5.4. When they do those updates it usually includes some fixes so is actually newer than what was previously released to the open beta branch, so they push the update to both 1.5 branches.

So if all goes well, we should see an update released for 1.5 beta and 1.5 stable, bringing both into sync.

If it doesn't go well, then I'd guess another update to 1.5 beta would be most likely, but also 'no update at all' is possible.

Edit: just to clarify, this is last I heard of ED's release plans, not Gazelle-specific. I don't know if Polychop have further updates pending release from ED at this time.

Edited by nomdeplume

The version 1.5.4 is delayed, so I will put these v 1.5.3 "before" videos, now, with the "after" vids. when the latest version FM becomes available, for comparison.

T/o and landing without any input from me except collective. To be fair, you can also do something similar with the Huey and Mi-8, although not in such a solid stable way, with its consistent 90 rpm rotation.

Same again, but with full cyclic movements to overcome stable condition.

Update 1.5.4 arrived today, so I had a few flights, replicating the above videos.

With regards to the first one, this can still be done in exactly the same way, except that the rotation speed is much lower.

The second one now can't be done at all. The helicopter will become unstable and break up.

The forward roll, shown at the beginning of this thread, now can't be done.

I can't try the overall handling on my power line slalom, because somebody stole all the Copper wires between the pylons, so that will have to wait.

Overall a great improvement. :thumbup:

Well done Polychop.

Edited by Holbeach
Grammar.

Update 1.5.4 arrived today, so I had a few flights, replicating the above videos.

With regards to the first one, this can still be done in exactly the same way, except that the rotation speed is much lower.

Sounds good, now you might want to replicate this lady's moves (remembering the L is still carrying ~500kg over the civil version)

The second one now can't be done at all. The helicopter will become unstable and break up.

The forward roll, shown at the beginning of this thread, can't be done.

Guess we might have to wait for Polychop's BO-105 to do that manoeuvre (@ 2:30)

Overall a great improvement. :thumbup:

Well done Polychop.

+1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Sounds good, now you might want to replicate this lady's moves (remembering the L is still carrying ~500kg over the civil version)
Nice challenge, but there's no way I could do what that pilot does in the video and I'm pretty sure, that pilot can't do what I did, take off and land whilst rotating, with no control input whatsoever, apart from the collective, which can still be done after the update.

Guess we might have to wait for Polychop's BO-105 to do that manoeuvre (@ 2:30
)

The BO-105 has a solid rotor, which allows aerobatic manoeuvres, but it can't do a full forward roll as seen in my first video, close but it's not a full rotation. The BO-105 is not cleared for the large amount of negative G required to complete the roll.

The Polychop Gazelle can no longer do this since the update.

Regards.

• 3 months later...

The Polychop Gazelle can no longer do this since the update.

Regards.

Or can it?

I made this for the bug report, but it fits in here nicely.

Edited by Holbeach