gun and rockets version part of the original package?

WildBillKelsoe

I would think that you would have to much vibration and movement trying to mount a SOFLAM in a helicopter.

Trying to keep a laser designator on target from a moving platform seems like an exercise in frustration.

At least for a human operator anyway.

It would be easier to drop the team off and let them set-up an OP.

No noisy aircraft hovering about then.

Edited by Cool Breeze

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...

So not to get to technical but I have a good amount of experience with the sniper role in a helicopter. Not with gazelle but with black hawks. You can point and designate tgts much easier these days with the modern helis. Now with the gazelle it looks like it's even a better system setup for the anti material rifle as I've seen pics on line of a good mounting system.

Anyway it is very common for non conventional forces to use soflam type devices in the bird and also as mentioned being dropped offset to setup OP/FFP. Would be one of the coolest things in dcs of the sniper team had the ability in the gazelle to at least at minimum to point or designate tgts in the Ir spectrum. My experience is obviously us side so can't speak for the French fellas. But quick answer yes this is all possible from a rotor wing platform and has been done.

Rich

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Just curious, wouldn't it be hard to keep a laser pointed at a target at a great distance (like 5 miles out) in a moving chopper by hand? What kind of ranges did you guys laser at?

So not to get to technical but I have a good amount of experience with the sniper role in a helicopter. Not with gazelle but with black hawks. You can point and designate tgts much easier these days with the modern helis. Now with the gazelle it looks like it's even a better system setup for the anti material rifle as I've seen pics on line of a good mounting system.

Anyway it is very common for non conventional forces to use soflam type devices in the bird and also as mentioned being dropped offset to setup OP/FFP. Would be one of the coolest things in dcs of the sniper team had the ability in the gazelle to at least at minimum to point or designate tgts in the Ir spectrum. My experience is obviously us side so can't speak for the French fellas. But quick answer yes this is all possible from a rotor wing platform and has been done.

Rich

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Yes in certain instances but I've done both close range and out to 1km spot, and engagements. We where mainly configured for out to 1km and in. Out to ranges you mention above is possible but very difficult. Do realize the helicopter is at a hover in most instances and it is very stable depending on environmentals of course. The whole lazing and spot stuff is easy part when taking live shot at dudes on rooftops or what not that is the interesting and same time cursing the pilot time.

Now the longer range Ir spot designate isn't so bad. So as a recommendation it's usually much easier to just spot than it is to actually guide a bomb in. We mainly use it as a co spot to call in Ac 130 and to help SA for other air frames and guys on ground at times.

Problem is school house stopped teaching this to our force because non availability of airframes for the training but it's a very valuable skill set for a Scout/Sniper team.

With dcs world it's still mainly focused on anti armor engagements basically but this skill set along with the gazelle would bring in allot of the other type engagements aka Vehicle ambush and personal interdiction.

Quick tidbit wether it was a long rifle or a designate system sometimes all in one package it was a solid stable platform similar to machine gun mounts and other times field expedient with 1 inch tubular nylon.

Edited by Enduro14

Good info.

Hopefully someday we'll be able to put people or roofs or elevated position in DCS. But for right now, we'll just be taking out armor.

Yes in certain instances but I've done both close range and out to 1km spot, and engagements. We where mainly configured for out to 1km and in. Out to ranges you mention above is possible but very difficult. Do realize the helicopter is at a hover in most instances and it is very stable depending on environmentals of course. The whole lazing and spot stuff is easy part when taking live shot at dudes on rooftops or what not that is the interesting and same time cursing the pilot time.

Now the longer range Ir spot designate isn't so bad. So as a recommendation it's usually much easier to just spot than it is to actually guide a bomb in. We mainly use it as a co spot to call in Ac 130 and to help SA for other air frames and guys on ground at times.

Problem is school house stopped teaching this to our force because non availability of airframes for the training but it's a very valuable skill set for a Scout/Sniper team.

With dcs world it's still mainly focused on anti armor engagements basically but this skill set along with the gazelle would bring in allot of the other type engagements aka Vehicle ambush and personal interdiction.

Quick tidbit wether it was a long rifle or a designate system sometimes all in one package it was a solid stable platform similar to machine gun mounts and other times field expedient with 1 inch tubular nylon.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Well with that it is still do able me personally I have not lazed in a bomb on a tank in a heli but it is possible and more importantly having the Ir spot/designate would add so much to the scout role of the gazelle. Heck you can do it with hand held lasers which pilots in other forces have. Look forward to whatever you guys come up with!