F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

So I get a free grip for providing you with the drawing for all of those grip that where no longer on the net or accessible any where else. hey great deal thanks so much:thumbup:

The crash wasn't a shock, I saw that one coming, but the airbag that slapped me out of this world, was :)

Thanks for the kind words.

This project will require the whole community to come together and put their talents and abilities into one great effort. That is the only way we can have replica controls at consumer prices, which this great simulator definitely deserves. So freeware software, free graphics and art, free web page design, free drawings and reference pictures for development etc.

Everybody pitches in, and in turn gets a free set of controls, or sets, depending on the amount of work provided. I will provide free 3D CAD designs for every single DCS aircraft, and will build the machinery needed for production. So that the only costs would be materials, assembly and packaging/shipment.

I will contact official parties once I have some working prototypes, so I can send samples and maybe get official support from each module and ED. That would be best case scenario.

Worst case, I release all the 3D models so everybody can print them at places that offer online printing services, and release the plans for electronics.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Just discovered this thread ... wow! I would absolutely be interested in one or two metal, painted(?) grips. I like that these are drop-in by design; would replacing the throttle handles be difficult? As taking the throttle assembly apart wouldn't be something I'm looking forward too.

Also: is this the 'official' place to keep updated on the project at the moment?

Thank you everyone, for the kind words and support. I read every single comment even if I don't reply. It is a great motivation, which I certainly need.

In the beginning I was trying just to make a grip for myself or a few others. Since then this project has grown into a full scale production plan.

I always try to emphasize, I'm not working on producing awesome products, I'm working on producing awesome prices for awesome products. That's why it's taking years instead of months. Manufacturing thousands instead of a couple.

But I'm finally at a stage where people/companies are coming to me with proposals, instead of me begging/searching for them.

This community is always giving up hard earned information/experience for free, so be sure something great is coming out from this. As I said, in worst case scenario you will have the 3D models for free, and in a year or two these will be under 100$ printed at an online service for sure.

Each month DCS is becoming more and more of a legend, and I hope so will these controls. That's the reason I started this, a professional/industrial level simulator at consumer prices, deserves a professional/industrial level controls at consumer prices! And more.

I hope to offer this technology to other sim product makers. If no industrial manufacturers can offer this, it is about time we as a community do it ourselves. It will take a team effort, and it is happening now!

P.S. I am also sorry that there isn't more visual info, but that will come. I will start a thread where I will post updates for every single grip&throttle&pedals for every single DCS aircraft available or in production. Also, I am making these as a personal challenge, like skiing or football or mounting climbing, so there is no chance for other than success, this way or the other this is happening. Thank you again for all you patience and support.

Edited by hegykc

Looks nice! great idea i`m will work more for buy some sticks and throttles for upgrade my TMWH. And any idea about sticks for russian aircfaft?

One big YES. Russian grips&throttles&pedals are a priority. Instruments too. This technology gives me (or anyone else) an opportunity to manufacture products no matter what the demand is. 10 or 1.000 units, it is doable. All one needs is enthusiasm, and I've got plenty of that :D

Just wanted to drop in again and say Thanks! Really excited, especially since DCS: F18 is on the horizon... a very distant horizon. But nonetheless, I wish you luck!

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

• 1 month later...

Hey man, just wanted to check up and see how things are going.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

OK here's the plan. I decided to go all the way.

I'll be getting a 3d printer and a desktop CNC by February 2014 the latest. If most things go according to plan, much sooner.

x1nt.jpg

jhel.jpg

That will in turn help me make a laser metal cutter, laser plexi cutter and engraver, and a different / more advanced 3d printer for large volume production. And a bunch of other machinery.

So, by February 2014 I should be making prototypes like these:

3dprintedprototypes2a.jpg

3dprintedprototypes1a.jpg

↑↑↑↑ These are my models, made by a similar 3d printers. Just basic mockups to check the shapes.

Just some of the planned grips and throttles:

sticksm.jpg

27830792.jpg

After I do the prototypes, send some out for testing, then a kickstarter for buying material and electronics in bulk. And then... production time :)

Now, I'll be making lots and lots of test prints. Everything from non functional shape tests (which can be used as pedestal pieces), replacement grips, up to fully functional hotas sets.

I would like to offer these test prints as a gift to those who pledge to support the DCS WWII kickstarter:

So, a bunch of non functional pedestal pieces to pledges of 10$+, a couple of functional replacement grips for pledges of 40$+, and one full hotas setup for pledges of 100$+: pledgers choice of aircraft, doesn't have to be WWII.

And possibly a metal casting for a hotas of choice for pledges of 200$+.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to do some prototypes before the end of the kickstarter campaign, so a promise is the best I can do at the moment...

All you have to do is, make a pledge, register and drop a screenshot here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563

Those of you who don't post at ATAG forum, can post a screenshot here, but there's a chance for an extra set of rudder pedals if you do so at the ATAG forum.

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 2

Have you settled on a material for the grips? Will you be using the prints to make molds for casting or will the printed material itself be strong enough for use?

plan A: 3d printed grips pass my torture tests

Most affordable option. If that fails

plan B: print molds for plastic casting

this one can't fail, but will be a bit more expensive production

and plan C:

print master molds for metal casting. Most expensive option.

Go for plan C. I'm willing to pay extra just for that.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Intuitively I'd prefer plan B or, of course, C and also wouldn't mind paying more for that, but of course it all depends on how much more that would be.

Still very much looking forward to what you're planning and would be happy to pledge on a future Kickstarter!