F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

Update, 23.08.2016.

Actual prototypes being built every week:

20160810_205152_zpsyiucplhc.jpg~original20160811_175851_zpsvlxzfvcb.jpg~original

20160819_210032_zpseljgfadl.jpg~original20160816_150816_zpsw7avt8ht.jpg~original

2_zpsgnhxtbob.jpg~original3b_zpsqotxt54t.jpg~original

Update, 06.30.2016.

Here's what you'll see from me in the next 6-12 months, piece by piece (not all at once!):

Priority No.1 is warthog spring mod

Priority No.2 is IR head tracker

after that:

F-18 grips

You know everything, they're ready to go, I just need to see how I can couple them up with my own hotas, again to unify the parts and processes. They are going to be cheap, If you had to take a guess you'd be waay over. However, after simplifying every other manufacturing process, turns out these grips are the most complex thing here. Don't be mad if there'll be other products for sale before them because other products is exactly what will pay for your cheap grips.

General purpose aviation panel (for FC3)2_zpsgliaqynp.jpg%7Eoriginal

Excuse the missing landing gear and tail hook levers. Just another example of why I do multiple developments at once. It took several other products to develop a unified lever mechanism for them all, which speeds up manufacturing, which brings down pricing and drives volume up. Now I'm not the only one who can do this, but you might be farmiliar that single panels/buttons boxes go for 200-300$, I am aiming for 99$, again not really possible on it's own, but with a dozen other products, very possible. With some help from developers, we can make it truly plug'n'play like the warthog.

PRO aviation panels (for DCS)

1ab_zpsvhbstxfc.jpg%7Eoriginal

I started on the A-10 but that thing is a monster, I may have to switch to the F-18 or any other available model because they're at least 4x less complex. And again, you A-10 guys would have to pay a gazillion bucks for something like this if I only did the A-10, but other modules are what's going to pay for your cheap A-10 panels, even if I make them at a slight loss.

General WWII aviation panels

These will be toned down versions of the pro WWII panels.

(see example below)

PRO WWII aviation panels

2_zpszq6a69ct.jpg%7Eoriginal

These will be full blown left/right panels, every single command functional even the rolling canopy open/close, clamp to your desk, put on a stand once you're finished and be the coolest friend to come over for a beer to. Each side will be cheaper then a couple generic button boxes available today. Started with P-51 because it's at least 4x more complex than any other WWII cockpit I looked at, so it gives me the worst case scenario pricing.

Plane specific 'hotas'

4_zps4lfimxvw.jpg%7Eoriginal

Throttle/collective and joystick/cyclic bases, with replaceable grips.

Instruments, for everything eventually.

1aabb_zps6p9tcejg.jpg%7EoriginalWorking mechanical instruments, including digit counters and lcd/digit displays for modern jets.

Save

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 4

Nice! How easily is it to make molds for pouring aluminum? I know the original is made out of resin, but it'd be awesome to feel metal in your hands...

One concern I have is the hat switches - they look like they have small throw... One of the things that makes Cougar/Warthog stand apart from the earlier TM sticks (F22 pro and etc) is the larger throw hat switches, making them feel more industrial.

you cant submit the design to thrustmaster?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The molds are 'easy' to make if you know what you're doing :)

I did this to see how much it would cost if printed directly. Next I will make internal changes to the model to make it cast-able.

If the original is made out of resin, even better. I'll be buying resin casting equipment anyway. Just have to stock up on models, so I have something to work on as soon as I get it.

The switches have 8 degree throw, that comes out to 2mm at the top of the hats (in any direction). If the general opinion is that it needs more, I just put the switches deeper into the housing.

I would submit the design to TM, if they could price it less than 120$, otherwise I can make them cheaper myself. And I would have to design it to be injection molded which is not something I am farmiliar with, yet.

On the other hand I see simple extension tubes going for 120 bucks, so the joke could be on me :)

This is what I know for sure. 250$ per piece if printed from an online printing service. With the throttles, probably around 400$.

When I make my own 3d printer, for 400-600$ I would include a whole set, including 4-8 different stick and throttle grips.

'Cause in the model above, there is 6-8$ worth of plastic, whether printed or cast.

Oh and forgot to mention, the buttons and switches in the above model are good quality, 5-6$ a piece. The buttons have a 5N operating force.

I wouldn't mind it at 120$ either. Good price for a replacement grip.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

When the F-18 module is released i think you'll do a good trade in these...

Might be tempted myself if an aluminium version became available.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

This better be put in a sticky in the F-18 section because as a thrustmaster owner this is interesting. But only if it would be possible to get it done out of metal or aluminum.

If you are also interested in doing this for the F-15 version, it would be the BEST POSSIBLE USE for the thrustmaster warthog as the throttle is already from the F-15 anyway, and you would only need to change the joystick.

Either way, a very nice job here.

images_zps9a5ab3fa.jpg

For $120,I'd be interested.

Add me to the list for a stick. I'm Curious how much time you have invested in this. It kills me that someone with an interest can produce something like this and a company like TM with the resources to really do it properly...(mass produce, not quality :smilewink:) can't be bothered to take a look.

(Any chance for an Mudhen stick if ED every gets around to it?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Definitely something I would be interested in; being able to interchange it with the 'vanilla' Warthog grip is genius!

Oli 'Scarecrow' Lusk

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.20Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard

16GB DDR3 RAM

EVGA Geforce GTX 680 4GB

I'm Curious how much time you have invested in this. It kills me that someone with an interest can produce something like this and a company like TM with the resources to really do it properly...(mass produce, not quality :smilewink:) can't be bothered to take a look.

(Any chance for an Mudhen stick if ED every gets around to it?)

That would be the best solution, but I'm afraid it will never happen. Because anything less than, what, 5.000-10.000 units and they can't make it profitable. Gotta pay all those secretaries:D

Me, I'm a one man operation (for now), and it's a labor of love, and I would say curiosity, so even if I sell a single unit.. happy as a clam:D

Ok, so the general consensus is metal, aluminum. Not a problem at all, even better since it's cheaper than plastic anyway. So I'll start working on master molds and making changes to the model to make it cast-able.

Yes, I do plan on making other grips, all the grips. As I said, it's a challenge, and I do like me a good challenge..

On a side note, anyone have (or know someone that has) a broken, useless TM warthog? I would like to disassemble the throttles and see how to implement throttle replacement grips.