TAS at sea level too low

312_Lobo

Then explain to me how that can be when in the aircraft that have instruments that show TAS it is often very different compared to F2 and in the A-10C GS is always off by 2kn compared to F2 no matter what? Did you even bother to look at the pics I posted?

Same in the MiG-21. If I fly into the Wind TAS is higher than what is shown in F2, if I fly with the wind it's lower. So yep, I'd say it's GS

Or F2 doesn't correct for wind?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Then explain to me how that can be when in the aircraft that have instruments that show TAS it is often very different compared to F2 and in the A-10C GS is always off by 2kn compared to F2 no matter what? Did you even bother to look at the pics I posted?

Same in the MiG-21. If I fly into the Wind TAS is higher than what is shown in F2, if I fly with the wind it's lower. So yep, I'd say it's GS

Or F2 doesn't correct for wind?

I looked at the pictures you posted. Are you looking at mine? A Plane going straight down would have a GS of zero (or near as makes no difference). Has it occured to you that either there is an error in the A-10s instrumentation in game or that you are mis-reading the guage somehow?

It hardly matters. We now have proof that it is True Air Speed, end of story. Unless you think it switches from GS in horizontal flight to TAS when going straight down just to play tricks on you......

Tacview gives me the same speed......you think they are both lying?

Edited by USARStarkey

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

I looked at the pictures you posted. Are you looking at mine? A Plane going straight down would have a GS of zero (or near as makes no difference). Has it occured to you that either there is an error in the A-10s instrumentation in game or that you are mis-reading the guage somehow?

It hardly matters. We now have proof that it is True Air Speed, end of story. Unless you think it switches from GS in horizontal flight to TAS when going straight down just to play tricks on you......

Tacview gives me the same speed......you think they are both lying?

Yes, I did look at your Screenshot and it's a bit puzzling because if it indeed shows TAS something is definitely not right!

The TAS in the A-10C is what I would expect under those conditions (about 900ft, wind coming from the back at around 4-5m/s (not exactly sure what I put there), 220kn IAS, 234GS (according to TAD) so yes, 226TAS sounds about right.

If I fly with the wind, the number in the F2 view goes UP, not DOWN. Exactly what I would expect if it would show GS but the opposite of what I expect if it's TAS.

I fly with wind in my Missions so when I go into F2 I notice these things. This is from memory and I probably wasn't flying exactly with and into the wind but it shows a pattern:

In the MiG at M2.05, 10000m (~33000ft) flying into the wind with wind at 14m/s at 8000m it shows ~1164kn while the TAS in the MiG Cockpit shows ~2200km/h. 2200km/h is about 1187kn. Now, if the wind is coming from the back, the fastest I've noticed was around 1210kn which I do not expect at all if it's TAS.

So I guess what we can take from it is, that at least with wind, F2 is not showing correctly (if it is TAS which your screenshot suggests). I'll look into it some more tomorrow.

Edited by Derbysieger

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Yes, I did look at your Screenshot and it's a bit puzzling because if it indeed shows TAS something is definitely not right!

The TAS in the A-10C is what I would expect under those conditions (about 900ft, wind coming from the back at around 4-5m/s (not exactly sure what I put there), 220kn IAS, 234GS (according to TAD) so yes, 226TAS sounds about right.

If I fly with the wind, the number in the F2 view goes UP, not DOWN. Exactly what I would expect if it would show GS but the opposite of what I expect if it's TAS.

I fly with wind in my Missions so when I go into F2 I notice these things. This is from memory and I probably wasn't flying exactly with and into the wind but it shows a pattern:

In the MiG at M2.05, 10000m (~33000ft) flying into the wind with wind at 14m/s at 8000m it shows ~1164kn while the TAS in the MiG Cockpit shows ~2200km/h. 2200km/h is about 1187kn. Now, if the wind is coming from the back, the fastest I've noticed was around 1210kn which I do not expect at all if it's TAS.

So I guess what we can take from it is, that at least with wind, F2 is not showing correctly (if it is TAS which your screenshot suggests). I'll look into it some more tomorrow.

Since wind seems to effect it, which makes it nothing kind of speed then. But its not GS or TAS.

Edited by USARStarkey

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

Some aircraft had the pitot tube located in a position where the airflow through it was unusually altered by an unintended source. For example, the P-38's pitot tube was too close to one of the engines, and the propwash was affecting the tube, causing the ASI to display a very incorrect airspeed. Hence calibrated IAS. IIRC, there's a chart in the P-38 handbook with a table for calibration...

Here is the Airspeed Correction Chart for the P-51D-5 from the Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions, 5 April 1944:

North%20American%20P-51D-5%20Pilots%20Instructions_zpsjdvpcmdr.jpg

Maybe F2 view speed readout works different for different modules? Doesn't make sense to me, but hey, discrepancies in P-51 vs A-10 data don't make sense either. I never paid attention to this issue, but I may do some testing with other planes later :).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I seem to recall it having been established that it was purely geometrical speed in the game world - i e the absolute magnitude of the velocity vector, ground referenced.

If that matches your findings here, then that's probably it. If not, I may remember it incorrectly. Find the P-51 vertical dive thread, I think that's where it was discussed at length.

Cheers,

/Fred

Is that why AI 109s out turn me?

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I seem to recall it having been established that it was purely geometrical speed in the game world - i e the absolute magnitude of the velocity vector, ground referenced.

If that matches your findings here, then that's probably it. If not, I may remember it incorrectly. Find the P-51 vertical dive thread, I think that's where it was discussed at length.

Cheers,

/Fred

Now that You said it, I indeed recall something like that mentioned in some ancient thread somewhere here. It ain't "proper" TAS nor GS then. Let's just call it DCSS :D !

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 4 months later...

Our P51 doesn't work like the real one.

All indications are that max speed is attained at 3K RPM in the real plane. Ours reaches max speed below that. As a matter of fact it seems to go faster and faster the lower the RPM setting, but... As you get further and further below about ~2700RPM you're really taking a large risk in grenading the engine no matter what temperature you keep the coolant and oil at by manually manipulating the cooling tunnels. Or by leaving them on auto for that matter... but I never do. I can manage the engine/oil temperature much better than the auto systems at this point.

From a good deal of testing while running Shahdoh's Mustang Racing Series (Server in the MP server list and link

here) I've decided that the issue is that the interaction of the MAP setting, the RPM setting and the airspeed is fudged. In theory, as you run 3K RPM and full MAP, the speed at which the prop travels through the air (not the blade tip speed rotationally but the air speed of the plane) will increase... thereby reducing the amount of resistance. This will reduce the Manifold Pressure... which "should" trigger the system to increase the prop pitch angle to maintain the desired Manifold Pressure. I don't believe this happens.

To put it another way...

Say you're at ~2700 RPM and full MAP and running the maximum stabilized speed for those settings (which is faster than 3K/full MAP by a good chunk btw). If you raise the RPM to 3K, that should raise the MAP. The system will then immediately reduce prop pitch to keep the engine at desired/max MAP setting.

The plane "should" have more speed capability but it doesn't.

What "should" happen at this point is that the plane should build speed, moving the prop through the air at a greater airspeed (again, air speed not rotational blade tip speed). This greater airspeed should slightly reduce the MAP so the system should increase prop pitch. This should add air speed which should reduce MAP, system should increase pitch to maintain max MAP, plane speed should increase... and so on and so on until max speed is attained.

What actually happens is this...

Say you're at ~2700RPM/Max MAP. You increase RPM to 3K. The system reduces prop pitch to avoid more than maximum MAP. Plane slows down.

It shouldn't act the way it does.

Something is broken. I would like to have a plane that I can't blow the engine on to find where the RPM vs. HP/MAP curve meets and produces the fastest plane but in looking for it the engine just blows up. It "should" be 3K by all reports but it is not. The plane goes faster and faster the lower the RPM until it goes KA-BOOM!

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)