What is the online multiplayer scene like?

Noxos

Is it anything approaching what IL-2 1946 was at its peak? How many servers are up typically? What's the biggest it can get?

Also -- pardon my total ignorance, but which of the DCS games can "interact" with each other? What I mean is, can someone with DCS P-51 play against someone else with DCS FW 190 D-9?

Thanks for any help.

Also -- pardon my total ignorance, but which of the DCS games can "interact" with each other? What I mean is, can someone with DCS P-51 play against someone else with DCS FW 190 D-9?

Thanks for any help.

As long as the planes are in the mission..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Re. first question - I'm mostly offliner, so I can't give solid numbers, but at the moment DCS is nowhere near the old Il-2 numbers "at its peak" for obvious reasons - only 3 planes, no period maps and units, no dedicated server plus general MP performance issues. New content and features are coming, however, so in 1-2 years time it might become a very good alternative for us, WWII buffs.

Re. second question - to put it simply - all planes work as modules installed on one software core (DCS World), so everyone can play with each other no matter what plane they use, unless mission designer has different idea.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There are usally around 2-5 servers with a good amount of people. The 104th server often hits the 50 player mark.

All planes can fly and fight with each other, even WW2 planes and modern high-tech planes.

Re. first question - I'm mostly offliner, so I can't give solid numbers, but at the moment DCS is nowhere near the old Il-2 numbers "at its peak" for obvious reasons - only 3 planes, no period maps and units, no dedicated server plus general MP performance issues.

[...]

Only 3 planes???

A-10C, MiG-21Bis, P-51, FW-190, BF-109 and that's only DCS-level fixed wing.

With Flaming Cliffs there are also: A-10A, SU-25T, SU-25, F-15C, SU-27, Su-33, MiG-29.

And with rotary planes there are: KA-50, UH-1H, Mi-8.

So, only 3 planes?

Edit:

Sry, I haven't noticed that this thread is only about WW2. Now it all makes sense ;)

For servers: There are indeed just a handful of servers for WW2, but there is usally a decent amount of people on them.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yep, servers are not too populated. Once I think I saw more than 20 people on DoW... but that was only once.

Also, yes. You can fight fw190vsp51. DCS world is the game and you just buy modules that are like DLC for the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Each of the aircraft is a game unto itself.

Most people require hours of practice offline before they are ready to be competitive online.

Don't worry, the practice is as fun and challenging as the online fights.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Weekends are usually the busiest with servers reaching over 20 players and if you catch the ACG server in the mornings here (US) they have close to 20 players many times a week. It won't be anything approaching IL2 for quite awhile but that doesn't mean that you can't have a great time. TBH my favorite times are when there are just several good players on the server at the same time instead of vulching, crashing, and lost groups that usually appear when it gets full.

MP servers for WW2 aircraft are generally devoid of life except on weekends. As already mentioned, this really isn't a WW2 sim. It's a modern air combat sim that just happens to have a few WW2 planes tossed in it as an after thought. Substantially more content is planned for the next couple years but until it arrives, the WW2 planes are more of a curiosity than anything else. At least one ww2 plane is typically available in most of 104th's missions (the most popular server) but there isn't much to do there with it other than strafe trucks. And even those are going to win more often than not thanks to the absurdly accurate ground fire.

in regards of the population of the ww2 servers...i think its safe to say, that every ww2 server out there noticed a few more players with every module...

so the numbers are increasing.but slowly.

i think and hope that once we have a ww2 map, the servers will be busy.

its interesting, it seems that a few days after a ww2 aircraft release, the servers are really crowded....but then pretty quickly the numbers decrease again quickly to slightly above the level prior to the module release.it seems that people are buying the modules, but that the modules themselves are not enough to hold their interest....

• Like 1

We need a World War II map, missions, and campaigns.

Right now we mainly have high fidelity FM's and cockpit immersion.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Appreciate all the responses. Do you guys think things will pick up once DCS WW2 Europe 1944 project is released.

Is he lack of WW2 maps only in MP? Or is there no real WW2 campaign either? What are the options atm?

Have the devs said if there are any plans for WW2 campaigns/missions?

Edited by Noxos

Appreciate all the responses. Do you guys think things will pick up once DCS WW2 Europe 1944 project is released.

Is he lack of WW2 maps only in MP? Or is there no real WW2 campaign either? What are the options atm?

Have the devs said if there are any plans for WW2 campaigns/missions?

Currently there is just the one HUGE map for both but more are on the way. WWII units, map, etc are still under development along with a large numbers of new modules from 3rd parties. There are some basic missions but nothing like the BS2 or A10 modules. Really until we get the ground units and maps its going to be pretty hard to do. Try the P-51 trainer model if your interested in trying the WWII planes ... its free. You can catch all the modules on huge discounts from time to time also.

I think there are two huge issues holding back WWII multisimming in DCS.

1. No period maps, AI units or objectives

2. Visibility

The maps and campaings are coming as many have already stated but it's taking a longer time than usual because obviously nothing new can be released on this front until the release of DCS World 2.0 and EDGE.

As for the second point, I would love to venture online in my Mustang, I really would. I love the FM of the plane, and I have no doubt that the other modules are equally well crafted. However the visibility is terrible in DCS, a lot of people have found ways to adapt successfuly but I am not one of them. I also can't afford a huge screen or multimonitor setup that would maybe ease some of these troubles. I already have TrackIR a pretty good rig, a hotas and pedals and yet I struggle against AI oponents due to how much effort it takes just to keep an eyball on them. Hopefully this too will be somewhat aleviated with the new rendering engine, but this is just speculation at this point on my part. The devs have not commented on the visibility issue. (I am not even sure that they consider it an issue)

For reference, I have to add that I have not had problems with visibility in other WW2 sims.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Got to say "Smart Scaling" in Falcon BMS works a treat. F-16's are a bit bigger than our WWII planes but they are still pretty small compared to others.

I can usually track my opponent pretty well and only lose sight if he blends into the ground or in the sun that sort of thing which is quite natural.

Be nice if some function like that could be implemented.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog