Arrester Hook - Can you help?

Hi Guys,

None of the available air worthy Bearcats we have access to have their original hook in place. All bar one have them removed entirely and the one that does have the hook is no longer functional and is fixed internally as such we are unable to get a good look at it.

What we are after is any available information on the hook and its operation.

Especially important is any high detail photos of the hook deployed or one in storage or a museum.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pman

Well, I can't go there myself, but it seems the Bearcat in the Aviation History Museum in Portage, Michigan, USA is on display with its hook out. Perhaps that helps to find pictures on the net or you know some guy in the area who could go there.

source: this site: http://www.skytamer.com/Grumman_F8F-1.html

EDIT: Or you could even give the museum guys a call. In my experience the guys at museums are often quite friendly people. :)

Edited by Aginor

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 7 months later...

Hope it helps.

Bearcat+sideview+comparison.JPG

F8F+Crash+Belly+Up.jpeg

A lot of other of F8F during carrier landings : http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/cv-32/32c.htm

c05l.jpg

c06a.jpg

It seems that one is still having its tail hook (but it can be from the F4U behind her, i'm not sur) :

Grumman F8F-1 "Bearcat" (NL9G, s/n 18) circa 2003 at the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum, Portage, Michigan (Photos by John Shupek) (Photos by John Shupek)4453.jpg

Edited by Lib
  • 4 weeks later...

:cry: That updside down 'cat..... hurts to look at it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Member of AEF | 161 SQN

3D Modeler, Texture Artist, Designer, Flight Simmer:joystick:

Check out my liveries :http://www.jrolfedesign.com/texture.html

PC Specs:i7 3770k @ 4.3Ghz, EVGA GTX1080ti Black Edition, 16GB Adata XPG 2133Mhz, 1x 128GB SSD [OS and work programs], 1x 240GB SSD [DCS World install], 1x 2TB HDD [Data and games], 1x 500GB HDD [Video recording], VKB Gladiator Joystick

Thanks for sharing them :thumbup:

I note that either I got a corrupt download or that pages 37 and 40 of the manual didn't come out properly showing only about 1/4 of the top of the pages

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Thanks for sharing them :thumbup:

I note that either I got a corrupt download or that pages 37 and 40 of the manual didn't come out properly showing only about 1/4 of the top of the pages

Pages 39 & 40 are the the same image just on different pages. They will have to be combined in photoshop to give 1 picture due to page width.

Just checked. Several of those pages are 1 larger image but spread out on several pages.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pages 39 & 40 are the the same image just on different pages. They will have to be combined in photoshop to give 1 picture due to page width.

Just checked. Several of those pages are 1 larger image but spread out on several pages.

Yes, I see that, but the image on page 37 which is the left hand side of the image on page 38 is only partial, I have tried downloading it again in case I got a corrupt download but it is still the same, for me at least.

Page 40 is the incomplete right hand side of page 39

Page37

Page37a_zpsrfprciar.jpg

Page40

page40a_zpsihpdopyi.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron