The Ultimate DCS World JSGME Guide - If you use mods, you need this.

Ebs

Ok... I made the mod JSGME compatible for you to study and learn for the future.

http://we.tl/M7xSDtpq1R

Note that I did not test it at all. I just followed the instructions in the read me to correctly build a darn JSGME mod.

You still need to put that Payload folder into your user folder...... I think is self explanatory

The files that should have been placed inside the zip file that contains the textures for the F15C cockpit have been placed in an adjacent folder with same name as the zip file so it is safer and easier to work with. This is a very useful trick! When ever you are installing a small mod or you test some textures that are in a big archive you can just place them in a correct folder structure in a final folder with the name of the archive. DCS World will take the files from the folder instead of the ones in original archive... only those in the folder... the rest will take it still from the archive. So no problem if you just place 2 files in a folder that is suppose to replace a zip that has 20 files... the rest of 18 will be still used from the archive.

I seriously don't understand why some people still use ModMan which is obsolete.

My advice. Think of building a JSGME mod like building a kit model. You place the parts in a correct order in correct directory tree and then you place "your mod folder" in "_Mods" folder from DCS World. Provided you configured correctly your JSGME program now you just need to press the Arrow to Right button and the mod is automatically installed. SIMPLE!

For this mod however is necessary to put a folder into a folder from your username folder... JSGME can't do that so you do it manually. Thing is that what you put there should be safe even if you mess up but do remember (Note down if necessary) what you did... and in what order.

When I build the JSGME compatible mod I read the instructions like this:

1. I don't care what mod is and what is named!!! mark this! This is step one!! Yes it sounds odd.

2. My mod or x mod is gonna be named whatever it is gonna be named but the name of it will be the name of the folder in which I put everything!

3. The folder which bares the name of the mod has that fancy name just for me so I know what it is but for JSGME is and always will be "DCS World" root folder!!!! Get this!

4. So now I need to putt all inside my mod folder so it will resemble with the structure of DCS World folder. Of course I don't need to put all the 30GB of it just the parts I will mod..ify.

5. If all is correct when I command JSGME to install that mod it will do these things:

a. it will analyze what is gonna be replaced so it will create backups for all the files in the correct folder structure.

b. he will copy and overwrite the content of the backed up files with the ones from the mod folder which is DCS World folder for JSGME!! ;)

When you uninstall the mod JSGME will revert the changes.

Don't install a mod if it overwrites what other mod had overwritten already!! The warning message is for you to take note who is making the conflict not to blindly say yes continue... and then yo sort it out. So always press cancel!

Don't add mods manually if you use JSGME... unless you really know what you are doing. You could mess a mod and then the restoration when you uninstall it might fail and the backed up files might not be restored correctly.

I hope it helps... Sorry if it is a long explanation. But simple things sometimes take long to explain. JSGME is very simple. :)

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I have noticed the zippyshare comes with a folder named MODS... that's not good for DCS World.

You need 2 things from the zippyshare download in the OP to install JSGME correctly.

JSGME.exe

(don't start the program before you finished with this simple setup)

and

JSGME.ini

put those 2 files in your DCS World directory.

for example your directory C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World

And create a folder yourself in this directory named "_MODS"

Open JSGME.ini with notepad.exe (It is better to use the program notepad++, but for now it won't be a problem)

The first 4 lines must be setup correctly.

the name of the modfolder should be _MODS

And the fullpath directory should be exactly the path for JSGME.exe, so where you have installed DCS World and have put JSGME.exe

for example:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\JSGME.exe

That's it!!

Now you can place mods in the _MOD folder for JGSME to activate and de-activate when you launch JSGME.exe :)

A mod and the name of the mod is always the primary folder placed in this _MOD folder ( and have modded files and more subdirectories inside it.) You see this name when you start JSGME.exe after placing it there.

The folderstructure is simple of the mod, It is a copy of the rootfolder of DCS World when you open the primary mod folder.

So JSGME can understand where all the files need to go and back up the replaced files automatically.

Edited by Cnuke

• 2 weeks later...
if you have already made a JSGME mod can you make it available on files? so it will save some poor sole some time in making one?

First thanks for this tuitorial and all mod makers, of course.

And totally agree with Mastiff.

Compared with the time of Mod making, make a structure is prettry short, but will save all users' time.

why not?

Appreciate!

And one question need illumination

For instance, DCS F-86, there is no F-86f folder in Bazar\liveries\ by default, originally.

to make sure, MY qustion is I should create f-86f saber folder before generate the DCS snapshot? or just generate snapshot first and then creat the f-86f in Bazar\liveries?

this answer will help me to understand JSGME better

thanks

You can create it. I do place new skins for modules moved in coremods in old bazar liveries folder. Be cause is more clear for me and it works.

You should definately create the empty folders first anyway so if you install 2 skinpacjs or 2 mods in the new adress you will not get a false alarm from JSGME.

Snapshots you can create and recreate later with all mods disabled and maybe the content of _Mods folder moved temporarely away from DCS World foldrer

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this has already been said in the huge number of posts here but I followed the OP's instructions in post one and found one discrepancy. Having installed JSGME and made a _MODS folder I made a snapshot. I unzipped a mod package to _MODS and opened JSGME expecting to see it. In fact I had to go to Tasks... Import mod.... and browse to the /_MODS/[ModPack]/ folder before JSGME would see it. Perhaps the OP needs amending?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Inside that _Mods folder you say you have you should have also some hidden files and folders (backup... snapshot...) Do you have them?

I can put any empty folder inside my _Mods folder and immediately it will appear in JSGME as a mod. It doesn't even need to be a working mod.

So what you described sounds like an error somewhere in your part. I think your JSGME does not work in your expected _MODS folder and works elsewhere... probably in MODS folder (which would be bad). Sure you can import any mod from anywhere else and then it will see it because it will import it inside the working (wrongly set up) folder.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@klem Check your JSGME.ini file. It will tell you what folder it is looking for mods to be placed in.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Inside that _Mods folder you say you have you should have also some hidden files and folders (backup... snapshot...) Do you have them?

I can put any empty folder inside my _Mods folder and immediately it will appear in JSGME as a mod. It doesn't even need to be a working mod.

So what you described sounds like an error somewhere in your part. I think your JSGME does not work in your expected _MODS folder and works elsewhere... probably in MODS folder (which would be bad). Sure you can import any mod from anywhere else and then it will see it because it will import it inside the working (wrongly set up) folder.

I can only tell you that I put the mod package in the DCS World subfolder I made called _MODS per the instructions at step 4. When I opened JSGME I didn't get the welcome window shown in step 5, just an empty JSGME window. I had to "Tasks...Import" the mod pack by pointing to the DCS World _MODS folder.

I can see what has happened. On importing it has transferred the mod pack to the JSGME MODS folder leaving the DCS World _MODS folder empty, so I suppose I should have placed the mod pack in the JSGME MODS folder in the first instance and not in a DCS World _MODS subfolder.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

As chihlidfan said. If you didn't get that pop up you need to set the working directory manually to _Mods from DCS otherwise it will work with default Mods from JSGME folder and it will install the mods in JSGME instead of DCS World.

I guess you will need to do a snapshot again after modifying the ini.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

finally

Actually, I meant a pic like this. I wanted to see what folders were inside the Horse of War mod foder.

This one picture in this thread was what made all the difference with me figuring out jsgme.It finally showed exactly how the file structure should look in the _mod folder. One minute i was frustrated the next i was ecstatic. I went crazy fixing all the broken structures i had.One rep to you.

thanks cichilfan.:thumbup:

Edited by snafup
  • Like 1

Question

This seems like a nice Mod Manager but I do have 1 question, does JSGME use only file level control or will it do line by line tracking as in a particular .LUA file? Reason for asking is some mods require that you just edit a particular lua file and not add any additional files. For instance the Hud font size, Ive seen several others as well. When DCS updates it sets these files back to default (I guess if they have an updated version) and saves a copy into a _00backup directory, at least it did for me. The lua file being replace back to the modded version after an update might not be a good idea depending on what has changed in the updated file. But doing the line modification to the new file should work. Beyond compare v4.03 seems to work for detecting changes to the LUA files so maybe that is also an option as well for the line level stuff. Curious how everyone else does this.:unsure:

Cannot manage to make ground textures or cockpit to work while aircraft skins work perfectly, can someone explain the steps for mustang's shader for example?

this is for mustangs terrain,i made the file structure in a folder i called mustangs terrain, in the_MOD folder, and unzipped the terrain modes into the vfxtexture folder. and i copied the high lua into the config/terrain folder.

the folders in the vfx texture folder are just the un zipped files.They unzip in their own folders.I do it this way.

1._MOD folder

2.ADD Mustang Terrain folder in _MOD folder

3.ADD Two folders in Mustang Terrain folder---Bazar and Config

4.In Bazar Folder:add Terrain Folder---In Terrain folder:add vfstextures folder-----Put All land textures in here

5.In Config folder:add terrain folder---copy high lua here

You can see the difference with it off and on, in jsgme.

Hope this helps in some way.

Edited by snafup

• 3 weeks later...
This seems like a nice Mod Manager but I do have 1 question, does JSGME use only file level control or will it do line by line tracking as in a particular .LUA file? Reason for asking is some mods require that you just edit a particular lua file and not add any additional files. For instance the Hud font size, Ive seen several others as well. When DCS updates it sets these files back to default (I guess if they have an updated version) and saves a copy into a _00backup directory, at least it did for me. The lua file being replace back to the modded version after an update might not be a good idea depending on what has changed in the updated file. But doing the line modification to the new file should work. Beyond compare v4.03 seems to work for detecting changes to the LUA files so maybe that is also an option as well for the line level stuff. Curious how everyone else does this.:unsure:

+1

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not Sure, but I'm having major issues with this Installer. doesn't matter what mod is installed my dcs Games Crash. Before I had JSGME the the same mods were installed manually and the game ran fine. when I got the JSGME I ran a fresh install updated, install the JSGME, created a snapshot and installed the mods using JSGME and boom the game crashes about 75% thru the mission. I ran several tests and concluded that if the mods are installed using JSGME that is what's causing the crash's. because when the mods are uninstalled and the game is mod free it runs fine. Remember the mods were once installed into the core game not with and installer like JSGME and it ran fine so its not the mods nor the game is the process the installer uses to add the mods files over the core games. I have v2.6.0.157 of JSGME.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander Jason "Punisher" M

Hardware:
i7 10700K 5 GHz Quad Core, Water-cooled , 32GBs 2400 DDR4 RAM, MSI Intel Z470A GAMING MB, MSI RTX 3080 GPU W/10GBs GDDR6X, 512GB NVME.2 SSD, 1TB NVME.2 SSD, 2TB External SSD, 2 512Gb SSD's & 1 350 Gb HARDDRIVE, WinWing Orion 2 Stick Base and Throttle Base, Quest 2, Windows 11 (64bit)

Not sure what to say to that? there is no website for the software. Cannot launch a ticket to report the bug. so I was left with this site. I was told by DCS that the code has gone thru major changes and the mods themselves are out of date just like the Mod installers and to wait for DCS World 2. I'm one person having issues i'm not saying other will not have the same issues. I'm asking how to fix it, so my game doesn't crash every time I have a mod installed

Thanks,
Lt. Commander Jason "Punisher" M

Hardware:
i7 10700K 5 GHz Quad Core, Water-cooled , 32GBs 2400 DDR4 RAM, MSI Intel Z470A GAMING MB, MSI RTX 3080 GPU W/10GBs GDDR6X, 512GB NVME.2 SSD, 1TB NVME.2 SSD, 2TB External SSD, 2 512Gb SSD's & 1 350 Gb HARDDRIVE, WinWing Orion 2 Stick Base and Throttle Base, Quest 2, Windows 11 (64bit)

• 4 weeks later...

Guys can you tell me pls what version of JSGME I should download for current version of DCS World? I am looking to get some f15C and SU25T mods. The version on the first post of this topic is for 2012...I wonder if it is the one that I need to install before I screw up 20GB of game data.

Thanks!

Edited by Saeid

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EMBEDONIX all about electronics!

I don't even think there's a newer version than 2.6.0.157. It works just fine ;)

Also, there's nothing to screw up, really. You just put your mods to specific folder and then JSGME move them for you to appropriate places, when you tell it so. It doesn't really overwrite anything. If you follow the guide, you're good.

• 1 month later...

I need help pls

I want over JSGM to activate GermanWW2 Unit mod pack but without success.

My JSGM Folder is separate, my shortcut D:\DCSWorld and in DCS JSGM is linked with D:\DCSWorld\_Mods.

I installed the the Mod in the _MODS folder in this way _MODS\tech\germanwwii.

Can anyone help?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Couple of things, make sure any spaces are in your paths that need to be, as in DCS World is different than DCSWORLD.

Think the problem might be with this path though. _MODS\tech\germanwwii

Should probably be _MODS\Mods\tech\germanwwii so maybe just missing the /Mods in the path.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip