Are the beta modules worth getting?

Jamesp1

Hi, I have the A-10C, Ka-50 and Uh-1H modules.

I'm interested in getting more but was disappointed in the A-10 beta; I found it un-optimised and buggy until the release version was out.

The talk now though seems to be about when each module's beta is released rather than the 'release' version so I wonder if it's different now?

Everyone seems to like the Mig21: Is it fully functional, feature-complete with missions, campaign and documentation?

What about the other betas?

Thanks,

James

Totally worth getting, beta means nothing in DCS in my opinion.

products improve constantly even after not being called beta.

and most people would not even pick up on the bugs there might still be in them.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:

Hi, I have the A-10C, Ka-50 and Uh-1H modules.

was disappointed in the A-10 beta; I found it un-optimised and buggy until the release version was out.

James

Based on your own statement above I highly recommend that you NOT go the beta route... Too many people buy the BETA and then when their own specific pet option is not available or not perfect they want it fixed right now and that is not how things work.. If bugs are not your thing then don't sign up for that kind of pain and just wait for the final release..

And I am not being mean or anything else with this response, I am simply pointing out that you have already stated a distatse for bugs and un-optimized software and that is EXACTLY what a BETA is.. It is designed to flush out those very bugs you don't like and by definition the code CANNOT be optimized.. Now some devs handle betas differently than others and this also adds confusion.. And is all the more reason that someone with ZERO appetite for bugs and waiting for completion should look at themselves realistically and wait for the full product..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Based on your own statement above I highly recommend that you NOT go the beta route... Too many people buy the BETA and then when their own specific pet option is not available or not perfect they want it fixed right now and that is not how things work.. If bugs are not your thing then don't sign up for that kind of pain and just wait for the final release..

And I am not being mean or anything else with this response, I am simply pointing out that you have already stated a distatse for bugs and un-optimized software and that is EXACTLY what a BETA is.. It is designed to flush out those very bugs you don't like and by definition the code CANNOT be optimized.. Now some devs handle betas differently than others and this also adds confusion.. And is all the more reason that someone with ZERO appetite for bugs and waiting for completion should look at themselves realistically and wait for the full product..

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Based on your own statement above I highly recommend that you NOT go the beta route...

Agreed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Absolutely worth it. Since joining DCS 2 months ago, I've experienced the best flight simming and tons of joy at learning the systems of each module. Beta or not, these modules are the real deal and fantastic!

Cheers.

New Rig: Win 7 Home, EVGA x99 Classified, i7-5820K, ZOTAC GTX 980 Amp! Omega, 16GB 2600MHz Corsair Quad Channel RAM, Sandisk Extreme Pro 490 GB SSD, EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PS : Hotas Cougar, CH Fighter Stick, Pro Pedals, Cougar MFD's, CH Throttle Quadrant

What is called "Beta" in DCS would be called "Brand new release version with never before seen features" when published by one of the majors (UbiSoft, EA etc.)

Yes, there are bugs, sometimes they tweak a little on the flight models during beta, but still, beta or not you can have loads of fun flying the modules months or better years before release...

And as others said before, all DCS modules go through a constant iteration process and getting "updates" (for free) even long after "release".

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I bought the P51 read the manual, take her off, flied and was very impressed, and i am every time i fly her, mostly Online.

Than i bought the Dora,read the manual, learned to start and land and fly her Online too. It´s flyable and not bad but the P51 is a class of it´s own,imho.

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

What is called "Beta" in DCS would be called "Brand new release version with never before seen features" when published by one of the majors (UbiSoft, EA etc.)

Yes, there are bugs, sometimes they tweak a little on the flight models during beta, but still, beta or not you can have loads of fun flying the modules months or better years before release...

And as others said before, all DCS modules go through a constant iteration process and getting "updates" (for free) even long after "release".

THAT, is true too !

I love my Mi-8, despite some not finished things it's still a blast and worth every penny but it's usefulness is limited in combat as a nature of the platform. Some AC are more beta in a way that there is a lack of scenarios and missions that include them in a way that just fits. Some servers do have nice missions, some totally lack support for Huey or Mi. The Sabre lacks a counterpart, once the Mig-15 is here, that will be great, but lacks a decent map, like N.Korea...small steps.

It's a constant iteration as said before, update follows update and the puzzle gets more and more finished.

Still, I can enjoy every module I have purchased and as money and time allows I will get all others too. I don't mind beta in DCS for the above mentioned reasons and if there is a severe bug, well, I got plenty other modules to play until certain others get fixed ;)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

DCS is continuously Evolving...

There's likely never to be a build that doesn't have a fix or adjustment of some sort.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Everyone seems to like the Mig21: Is it fully functional, feature-complete with missions, campaign and documentation?

I only spent a few hours in the MiG-21 and as far as I can tell, in its current Beta state this is by far the most complete DCS module as compared to any other module when they were/as they are in Beta.

The MiG-21 module includes a complete manual, interactive training missions, instant action missions, single missions and a campaign. AFAIK the module is pretty much feature complete and, again AFAIK, there are no major bugs.

IMO you can go ahead and get the module without hesitation. :thumbup:

As for other modules, the Beta ones aren't typically in a bad state, but in some cases there have been no updates in a while and long awaited features are still missing. Since there were never any promises regarding the timetable I don't have a problem with that, but it shows that there are no guarantees when buying a Beta.

Are the beta modules worth getting?

... if you want it bad enough ...

do you want it?

do you need it?

do you got to got to got to have it?

(only one has to be true)

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Are Beta releases worth getting?

I would say definitely yes, from DCS.

As has been said, other simulation software makers release so called finished versions, only to be "beta tested" by us folks who buy their "finished versions". You are left with the unknown factor of if the bugs, we find, will ever be addressed?

With the DCS Betas, they are under development and we can be more certain there is a finished version as the goal.

Also we are demonstrating support to the devs.

And the "Do you want it" factor is real as well. I for one would like a European theatre........:thumbup:

Cheers

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Totally worth getting, beta means nothing in DCS in my opinion.

products improve constantly even after not being called beta.

and most people would not even pick up on the bugs there might still be in them.

There are a lot of bugs in BETA versions that are very obvious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I./JG2

Oberleutnant Flieger

Thanks for the advice guys.

It sounds like the betas are better than the A-10C, but that it's best to wait until a beta gets a patch or two (so basically wait for a sale!).

I picked up the P-51D to tide me over - I think just learning aerial gunnery will take me a while based on my current performance!

Regardless of beta or release status, almost all of the modules have their fair share of bugs. Because of the constant updating and upgrading, things that once worked perfectly are liable to be broken in any given update. Beta has more to do with certain things not being implemented yet, like the Fw-190 not having rockets right now.

Bottom line, if you like the aircraft and would enjoy flying it, buy it. If you wait until the "release version" you're just getting the same thing you would have gotten if you got it in beta, except you haven't gone through the hours of learning and trial and error to do something like land the MiG-21 without flipping it and skidding down the runway in a ball of fire.

The concept of beta in DCS is quite unique. First of all you can consider DCS itself a beta, there have been times when it was unplayable, broken, full of crashes. This might well happen again, so just accept it.

Then, belsimtek only produces betas, in that case it's a business model to release a product and label it a beta so they can never be liable of major bugs, because it's a beta. The truth is, even if they are beta, these modules are still better than 99% of what you will find anywhere else, so if you like the aircraft, get it ,)

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• ED Team
The concept of beta in DCS is quite unique. First of all you can consider DCS itself a beta, there have been times when it was unplayable, broken, full of crashes. This might well happen again, so just accept it.

Then, belsimtek only produces betas, in that case it's a business model to release a product and label it a beta so they can never be liable of major bugs, because it's a beta. The truth is, even if they are beta, these modules are still better than 99% of what you will find anywhere else, so if you like the aircraft, get it ,)

The answer, what is a backhanded compliment?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Also during flash sales when modules are 70% off you know it will never be cheaper so might as well get them all...

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]