TrackIR or Oculus Rift?

Depends on how long you want to wait. We have no idea when CV1 will be available, we also have no idea whether the resolution will be enough to accurately spot targets or even read gauges without zoom.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hi,

I'm considering either TrackIR 5, or to wait for Oculus Rift.

The biggest issue with Oculus seems to be that it will be fairly difficult to use the keyboard at the same time? Is there any indication that this problem will be solved?

In DCS the keyboard matters less with the ability to mouse click the virtual cockpit, I won't go back to TIR now I have the Oculus.

Depends on how long you want to wait. We have no idea when CV1 will be available, we also have no idea whether the resolution will be enough to accurately spot targets or even read gauges without zoom.

I see!

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that this was also was an issue.

I see!

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that this was also was an issue.

it's not an issue, it is a perception generated by the current developer kits which are not up to the task, but they are not intended for consumer use anyway, people remain sceptical but I am not as my experience of the DK2 is that it is only just slightly short of being good enough.

I understand.

Are there any estimates for when there will be a consumer version ready for DCS available?

The consumer version is most likely due out next year, so far that is the indication, probably in the later part of the year, DCS already supports the rift so it's not an issue.

I am waiting for the full retail version and some reviews to come out before I even think about moving to the rift. I also need to make sure they sort out as much as the motion sickness issues as possible since I am susceptible to it.

I just recently got a Track IR and I am loving it.

if TrackIR is not agitating your motion sickness then the rift is probably not going to affect you, it feels natural, trackIR is not so natural considering you have to move your eyes in the opposite direction to your head.

I'm not sure Oculus can do much to guarantee no motion sickness if someone is susceptible.

VR is much better and Oculus rift`s technology is very mature (head tracking etc... ) but like said , for our use its still not ready , you need much higher resolution than what it has now

You cant read gauges well or even read the the HUD properly at the moment, not to mention spotting targets...

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If money is not an issue (not the gating factor), get the TrackIR since consumer version of Rift won't be ready for another 6-12? months.

But I've had TrackIR for years. And comparing the Rift experience with TrackIR is would be like comparing a ride on Toyota Corolla to a Ferrari. It doesn't even come *close* when compared to what Rift brings to the table.

hsb

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Rift Dk2. Sold it on eBay a couple days ago. Made about $150 profit after fees so I'm happy. The VR experience was better than I expected. 3D effect was, you just have to try it. Amazing really. Drawback was the resolution. Once they get that fixed I'll buy another. As of now I'm much happier with my TrackIR 5

for DCS, the rift isn't really a thing... best get the trackIR, cause you'll actually use it for DCS...

the consumer rift won't work for dcs either, its not the display, its the fact that even the fastest computer you can't even buy yet is still many MANY times too slow... and will be for years, because even at 1920x1080, it brings any machine down to less than 60 fps on any graphics settings, and for a good experience we're gonna need 4K+ at 90fps+ and trying to do that on even the very fastest pc is, at least for a few years time, impossible.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think I agree with that. 75fps is the sweet spot and that is not impossible with todays machines and GPU's. A quick reading of the rift thread here shows people consistently getting 75fps using a variety of cards. I personally have two 660ti PE cards in SLI and routinely get 100+fps in the most graphics intensive games around. I expect a little judder using those in SLI mode but if you purchased gtx980 GPU just as a stand alone that would deliver. I agree resolution will continue to be the sore spot for most folks but as far as just the "immersion" factor you get from VR that alone will make it worthwhile to a lot of folks.

The key is 75 fps at dk2 resolutions is obtainable. I have a 4k monitor with sli 970s and while i can at times get 75 frames and usually well above 30 i am _far_ from a steady 75 at all times. If its going to take 4k to look good ad 75 fps to not stutter and make people puke, its going to take quite some optimizarion.

VR is much better and Oculus rift`s technology is very mature (head tracking etc... ) but like said , for our use its still not ready , you need much higher resolution than what it has now

You cant read gauges well or even read the the HUD properly at the moment, not to mention spotting targets...

Same here, DV2 res is way too low, 1080p is not even near what we need. 4k would be better.

Just my toughts after DV2.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/latency-the-sine-qua-non-of-ar-and-vr/ <= 1000+ fps would be better, but 90+ is ok, the dk2 is only 75 cause it's the only panel samsung would give them...

if you don't know who abrash is, then you shouldn't be giving your opinion here.

and i use a GTX 780, i easily get 120+ fps with settings turned down on 1920x1080 on my 2d monitor, but running it with the rift, it goes down into the 20s using the exact same settings.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am waiting for the full retail version and some reviews to come out before I even think about moving to the rift. I also need to make sure they sort out as much as the motion sickness issues as possible since I am susceptible to it.

I just recently got a Track IR and I am loving it.

Are you by any chance the same player known as Cow that I managed to wipe out with my top gun maneuvers last night in the VA server? LOL

Anyway back on topic, I did some looking into Oculus Rift myself - specifically the DK2 but what put me off were all the reviews saying the clarity just isn't there yet to read the dials / cockpit text etc.

I'd love to try out the Rift but I wouldn't buy one until I knew I was going to be 100% happy with it. I'm loving what they are doing and where they are going so I'll be keeping an eye on it. Would happily trade in my monitors when the rift is ready :D

At the minute, I use freetrack and a Frankenstein cobble up headset thing I made myself. It's not brilliant but it gets the job done enough to casually fly. I started out just using the pitch and yaw axis but now I'm slowly getting used to the zoom axis and the roll. It takes some getting used to for a start, I know that.. kinda disorientating for a start.

Edited by Tumbleweed

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

??? really, can't "opine" on anything? I think I will, if I like - you don't have to agree or like it - but I can say what I wish, non offensively of course. have a good day

you still can of coarse, but giving your opinion on what is acceptable and what isn't, when you haven't even read up on how it all works, means anything you say has no evidence to back up your claims, so you really shouldn't...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Questions:

1. Someone had mentioned that using zoom allows them to interact with gauges and HUD. Is anyone here using DK2 for every flight? You never revert to monitor?

2. Does anyone know of a post that outlines advanced methods of optimizing DCS with DK2 (beyond the basics of settings to increase FPS, etc.)

Opinion:

-DK2-

I just received my DK2 and I'm very pleased with how it works in Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation. During my research before purchase I noticed one word repeatedly used to describe the Oculus Rift experience; indescribable. I didn't understand this until trying it myself. There really is no way to describe it, there's no context. It really is that awesome. I spent a lot of time screaming wow when first trying it.

-DCS-

The amazing thing is the depth and scale you perceive while in DCS. When you look down from the aircraft, you can intuitively discern your altitude and anticipate a sense of the Gs. Until I got used to the experience I was dizzy as my inner ear was trying to compensate for abrupt movement.. it's really that realistic. Concerning the graphics in the cockpit though, the fine lines in instruments in DCS aren't rendered properly. I think this will be remedied in DCSW2 as fine lines and details obviously work well in Alien Isolation. DCS does implement DK2 better than any other software I've seen yet though. The 'auto detect oculus' feature makes setup a breeze, and the terrain and depth perception looks great. I think ED is ahead of the cut in all areas but the cockpit rendering, and that's probably due to the age of the engine. I feel sorry for people who spent time and money on home cockpits, because oculus really puts you IN the cockpit.

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Opinion:

-DK2-

I just received my DK2 and I'm very pleased with how it works in Elite Dangerous and Alien Isolation. During my research before purchase I noticed one word repeatedly used to describe the Oculus Rift experience; indescribable. I didn't understand this until trying it myself. There really is no way to describe it, there's no context. It really is that awesome. I spent a lot of time screaming wow when first trying it.

-DCS-

The amazing thing is the depth and scale you perceive while in DCS. When you look down from the aircraft, you can intuitively discern your altitude and anticipate a sense of the Gs. Until I got used to the experience I was dizzy as my inner ear was trying to compensate for abrupt movement.. it's really that realistic. Concerning the graphics in the cockpit though, the fine lines in instruments in DCS aren't rendered properly. I think this will be remedied in DCSW2 as fine lines and details obviously work well in Alien Isolation. DCS does implement DK2 better than any other software I've seen yet though. The 'auto detect oculus' feature makes setup a breeze, and the terrain and depth perception looks great. I think ED is ahead of the cut in all areas but the cockpit rendering, and that's probably due to the age of the engine. I feel sorry for people who spent time and money on home cockpits, because oculus really puts you IN the cockpit.

Good review. Enjoyed that. Made me think differently again about the rift and now I'm back in two minds again hehe :megalol:

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

One thing I personally think would be good for complimenting the rift and that's a pointer gauntlet for the fully clickable cockpit models. That would be soo cool.

I mean since rift is VR, why not?