Removed

CptSmiley

The project source files should be in my package, but I dont think there have been any changes to the dll part.

if there has they havent been uploaded.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The project source files should be in my package, but I dont think there have been any changes to the dll part.

if there has they havent been uploaded.

Ok, got that, thanks :)

Just checking that it is the latest known source code so far.

So far I'm just looking at the code, getting to know it and figuring out how it is all put together and so forth.

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Ok, got that, thanks :)

So far I'm just looking at the code, getting to know it and figuring out how it is all put together and so forth.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the interest and your time!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Good (and bad) news everyone!

Here's a bit of status update of progress so far.

I did get it to compile (which wasn't as simple as it may sound, read more below*) and now I can actually check if code works after changing and so forth.

I found a memory leak pretty early (array of doubles was allocated on each call that was not released) and on closer look there's no point in having that array at all: it does need changes that I think it needs anyway but end-result should be cleaner. Especially since that flight model handling is all in one huge method now and adding things like flaps, gears, air brakes and so on would complicate that even further.

So I can upload some initial code changes pretty soon I think. Nothing visible but maybe easier to continue from.

One thing that needs changing: GeneralFilter is now just linker library included in the package without the sources. This is the bad news since either this needs rewriting or replaced with another implementation if the sources can't be found. The problem is with the way VC++ compiler and linker works and that different versions are not compatible, even adding service pack makes them incompatible with each other.

If anyone spots .c or .cpp file that matches the general_filter.h in the sources that might be the quickest and most compatible route for a next step.

* The bit about getting this to compile was in large part due to the GeneralFilter being a linker library instead of plain source code in the project. Since the VC++ compiler and linker is incompatible if there's update like service pack you always need same version of the toolchain for each part that is compiled and linked to a single binary.

Now the GeneralFilter.lib was built using VC++ 2010 (v100) x64 tools. And I have VC++ 2010 installed, what could be simpler? Except that did not include x64 tools by default. Newer versions of Visual Studio (2012, 2013) have x64 tools and can use other build tools from other versions. But I need to install that toolchain in any case whichever VS version I'm using. And that toolchain is included in the Windows SDK..

Windows SDK at some point included check that you should have specific runtime installed for it to be used: it can install this for you if it isn't already. Problems occur if you have NEWER version of the runtime installed (due to bugfixes etc.). Of course the error message can't be anything obvious but only some vague reference to installation error..

So to get that toolchain I need correct SDK and for that it's necessary to find out WHY it won't install. For those interested [1] might be handy information. And the solution is to uninstall Microsoft VC++ 2010 Runtime libraries for x86 and x64 from the computer, uninstall Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 (if installed), install Windows 7 SDK with C++ compilers and check (almost) everything is working as usually.

Now the toolchain (v100) can be used in newer Visual Studio as well but you do need to use that Windows7SDK toolchain instead so that you won't get linker errors (again, due to the way GeneralFilter.lib was built before against certain specific versions of libraries).

Also the downside is that you have to be careful about updating those tools and runtime libraries by some hotfix/service pack unless you want to repeat the whole thing again.

For that reason having source code for the filter would be really useful in the future..

[1] http://notepad.patheticcockroach.com/1666/installing-visual-c-2010-and-windows-sdk-for-windows-7-offline-installer-and-installation-troubleshooting/

Edited by kazereal
typofixes

Attached you find zip with some of the early work I've done on the flight model code.

It's not much yet, mostly changes in code structure to help with further changes.

Only the source code for flight model DLL and pre-built binary of the DLL are included to keep it small package.

You need to have SkateZilla's package to use it with DCS: first install previous package, then unzip and overwrite existing files with those in this zip to use.

Comments are welcome, especially if you notice any bugs that were not there before..

F-16A-20141129-k.zip

I used Visual Studio 2013 Fine.

You have possibly Windows 7.1 SDK or Visual Studio 2010 with x64 compiler installed already, correct?

If you have those you can set VS 2013 project to use those as toolchain. They're not included with VS2013 as far as I know..

Edit: or do you have source of the GeneralFilter class somewhere in the build dependencies?

no idea, i was able to open edit and compile fine when I was toying with it.

now I get some errors.

vs2013.thumb.jpg.42f6d35b5a9b7edbc310413969246f5f.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Attached you find zip with some of the early work I've done on the flight model code.

It's not much yet, mostly changes in code structure to help with further changes.

Only the source code for flight model DLL and pre-built binary of the DLL are included to keep it small package.

You need to have SkateZilla's package to use it with DCS: first install previous package, then unzip and overwrite existing files with those in this zip to use.

Comments are welcome, especially if you notice any bugs that were not there before..

if you have time, could you fix the hud display issue that Skate's version can display speed, alt and heading, now 1.2.11 makes them invisible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

if you have time, could you fix the hud display issue that Skate's version can display speed, alt and heading, now 1.2.11 makes them invisible.

I'll have a look at it.

I'm not certain how those are now handled so may need to dig into those lua-scripts for some time.

Can't promise anything but I'll try.

no idea, i was able to open edit and compile fine when I was toying with it.

now I get some errors.

This is the previous version of the code.

Hit F7 for build and check "output" tab at bottom: that's more useful information about what goes wrong with the build.

Microsoft update did some nasty thing with the result that I could not compile it again.

After uninstalling, installing, repairing and so on until the Windows SDK did not want to install again (something with the registry-entry is corrupted).

End result is that VC++ 2010 x64 compiler version needed (without SP1) won't install..

So I made a quick test with replacing the GeneralFilter with a DummyFilter (that does nothing) and it's not too bad actually.

While accelerating on the runway and taking off there is flutter on the rear wings (elevators) but not while flying.

So it's not due to input I think but some rounding errors accumulating/multiplying in those moments.

Also I think it's not actual surface angle since it's not affecting status of whole aircraft (it would have some pitch oscillation at low speeds or something?).

More likely just something wrong with draw-arguments given back to DCS for animating them.

I'll make some more tests on this and try figure out why landing gears don't work..

Edited by kazereal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm waiting for an authorisation to get the download link. In the meantime I wanted to ask you guys something. Can this project be handled entirely in other IDEs i.e. not MSVS, e.g. in Code::Blocks ?

Hi!

I'm waiting for an authorisation to get the download link. In the meantime I wanted to ask you guys something. Can this project be handled entirely in other IDEs i.e. not MSVS, e.g. in Code::Blocks ?

Yes, if you can tell it to use MSVC compiler and toolchain (nmake, cl, linker and so on).

Usually on Windows assumption is that either MSVC is supported or it is using Mingw (GCC-derivative).

Intel C/C++ compiler is compatible with MSVC so that's not an issue usually.

CLang/LLVM is improving rapidly and might be another usable alternative, not often supported yet.

There has been compilers like what Borland used to make but that is so old it's not even considered any more.

I think I'll upload what I've done so far today.

There's mostly cleanup and reorganizing code into more object-oriented way (and hopefully easier to get into). The many dependencies between parts of code have delayed this somewhat, sorting out large amounts of variables and so on.

Attached is the newer source code for the flight model.

This does not use the "GeneralFilter" so you'll see flutter in rear elevators at speeds of 1200-1700 km/h depending on altitude.

Better solution needs to be worked out sooner or later, at least we can work on it now..

Now compiles on VC++ 2013 without the need for older VC++ 2010 compiler toolchain or specific a Windows SDK version so this should be a lot easier for working on the code.

There is some reduction in memory allocations (malloc()/free() of temporary buffers) replaced with reusable working buffers. Not much performance impact either way but should be reliable and stable.

Code and variables are split into more object-oriented way into new classes now. This should make it easier working on the code (at least I hope so..)

And C-style "global access" to variables is reduced which should help in debugging to see which variables are actually used in specific calculations.

Early start for fuel system and fuel consumption (did not have time to finish it yet): also affects weight distribution and change in mass which affects pretty much everything too..

There's preparations for new inputs (air brakes, wheel brakes, canopy open/close..) but not finished yet either. This needs lua-script updates also so that we can have actual bindings for those and working inputs from DCS side into the DLL. Work in progress continues..

So in summarum, changes affect mostly the code and not functionality that user might see during flight. Don't expect much, there's still plenty of work to be done in the code.

F-16A-20141213-k.zip

• Like 1

I would like to flight a semi-functional F-16 any day, Too much thanks for people working on it and sharing without any money back.

I copy yours files kazereal. start a mission and i see f-16 but cant control it, im only see a map. It happend when copy BIN file

Edited by bertux25

I would like to flight a semi-functional F-16 any day, Too much thanks for people working on it and sharing without any money back.

I copy yours files kazereal. start a mission and i see f-16 but cant control it, im only see a map. It happend when copy BIN file

Have you checked control bindings in DCS options?

It start controlled by IA. with Skatecilla BIN it work fine.

Works for me at the moment. Check you have original lua-scripts from Skatezilla's package.

entry.lua and F16Demo.lua may have been overwritten, if you had modifications to those that might be the cause.

Note that ONLY rudder, pitch, roll and thrust in axis commands are supposed to be working now. The support for other controls is not yet there but planned.

If you can test and debug the scripts that would be helpful, I haven't had a chance to look at those so far (busy with other things).

Edit:

External mouse view is simple to fix by replacing default.lua in ..\Mods\aircraft\F-16A v2.0\Input\mouse\ with same script from another module.

I expect many other input things need similar updates to be fixed and then to add support in the module code for those needed there.

Edited by kazereal