Black Shark 2 Released

Wags

Can I upgrade my russian version 1 with the patch version?

Quite happy for BS2 to be in english...

Cheers

Keith

I think you can. I have the spanish version 1, and I've installed the BS2 perfect, no problem.

P.D. I love the new control tower :thumbup:

Edited by xifu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Great news! Just the AI updates are worth the $20 bucks for me. I was just starting to get back into BS and now ... a major upgrade!

Thanks ED!

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

Wow. First of all, than you ED for the great sims you've created. I personally won't be buying any BS titles as I have no interest in that particular bird. I have wanted a serious A10 sim since Microprose teased about it (and never delivered), and now I have it! I do look forward to any future additions for the A10. And apparently unlike more than a few here, I will GLADLY give you money for providing me with something I'd like to have. Again, thank you.

Jason aka Evil Bonsai

You see, this is exactly where you show that you don't quite understand the complexity involved here. This is not a case of copy-paste. The entire thing has been given a work-over. (There is a lot of things that aren't on that list - listing everything would make for quite a few pages of tiny details that were improved.)

The DCS series claims to be a modular design where previous releases can be made compatible with newer releases. Can you explain which things have been given a work-over, and what the bottle necks were for making BS compatible with A-10C?

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

P.D. I love the new control towels :thumbup:

Cool, it's always good to have a towel!:megalol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Great awesome news bro!

But I like others thought this was a free patch for something we already paid for once ,

but I suppose it is a niche sellers market these days on sims.

But before I bite the bullet and buy this.

I have a couple of questions first

Are there any reviews of this yet ?

Not yet

Where can I download the demo out to test this out to see if it is worth buying ?

DCS has never had demos, sorry

And if I do buy it will my old version of BS remain un-molested

It will install separately to BS1

and will still work in LAN mode without master server approval/authentication ?

Identical to Warthog in this regard

Will missions created in one version be useable in the other or will mission

makers now be divided and have to choose which ver to use ?

V1.02 missions are openable in 1.1.1.0 but do require a little bit of work to fix stuff like target points. There is no backwards compatibility to 1.02 from 1.1.1.0, sorry.

Cheers and congrats on the new upgrade

Nate

1. Is it safe to open and edit my almost finished mission in the DCSBS2 ME, that I initially made in the DCSW ME? I've waited for the new mission editor so I can enable Black Shark clients.

2. Will the mission editors in future patches be identical?

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

Xifu is a "hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is"

:)

Nate

Indeed.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

^^Well....................

If things got boring in the cockpit I could totally understand you. never experienced that though, except for the weapons training I did one year ago. took me 5 attempts to get it viewed without falling asleep.

1. Is it safe to open and edit my almost finished mission in the DCSBS2 ME, that I initially made in the DCSW ME? I've waited for the new mission editor so I can enable Black Shark clients.

Should be OK, Back up first though

2. Will the mission editors in future patches be identical?

I believe so.

Nate

The DCS series claims to be a modular design where previous releases can be made compatible with newer releases. Can you explain which things have been given a work-over, and what the bottle necks were for making BS compatible with A-10C?

+1

If the DCS is modular as it was supposed to have been, then ideally the amount of work needed to upgrade the Black Shark is limited to compatibility upgrades of the Ka-50 code (and its missions and campaigns) to align with the new features. When I look at the BS2 "feature" list, I see only DCS Warthog features so it feels more like a compatibility patch to bring the BS to the current DCS engine level. The FC2 was not part of the DCS so it made sense to pay for that, but DCS BS should be something else.

Now, this was asked when the whole DCS thing started and IIRC it was clearly stated that there would be free compatibility patches to bring the common engine up to standard which was increased with the release of the new module if you don't want to purchase the new module. That was supposed to have been the whole point of the DCS - to have different modules interplaying together and only buying those that you want. If it was determined that this was not a good business concept, then this should have been clearly stated.

I can understand that it makes little business sense to provide compatibility patches for free to people who don't want to buy the next module (though, I believe it was stated to be like this and they do exactly that with Strike Fighters series), but then at least the people buying the next module should get those "engine" patches for free.

And this Black Shark 2 thing where (if I decide to buy it) you need to have the original Black Shark installed which is then not patched, but a completely different build is installed in addition AND completely separate from the Warthog installation brings all this talk of modular platforms in question. If so, fine, but is it too much to ask ED to come out and clearly state the planned business model of the DCS and how it will work out with future modules (will we have FC4, BS3, WH2 with the next module, each costing $20?).

I hope we can at least uninstall the original BS installation after the BS2 is installed? Sorry if it was stated already..

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 2

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Well...I'm not sold either, Gents. :huh:

Tell me why I should pay for this and I just might do it, depending if you persuade me well enough! :D

H.

Personally I believe it is worth the cash, but better than me trying to persuade you, maybe wait for others to finish downloading and see what they think? That way you'll get an impartial view.

Nate

Well...I'm not sold either, Gents. :huh:

Tell me why I should pay for this and I just might do it, depending if you persuade me well enough! :D

H.

Wait a wee bitty for screenshots and the like to filter through. Would be uncouth of me to presuppose that you would take my word for it - gonna have to rely on the verdict of your peers in the morrow :D (or later today judging the time)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'