How to read QNH

Catweasel

Or use QFE if departure airport is also where you intend to land. I always set QFE. QFE is a 'virtual' (so is QNH, QFF is real measured pressure. QNH is calibrated to the international standard atmosphere) pressure at which the altimeter reads 0 when you are on the ground.

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

Or use QFE if departure airport is also where you intend to land. I always set QFE. QFE is a 'virtual' (so is QNH, QFF is real measured pressure. QNH is calibrated to the international standard atmosphere) pressure at which the altimeter reads 0 when you are on the ground.

I do the same! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft I have thoroughly studied: A-10C, Ka-50, Mig-21bis, UH-1H, Boeing 737-800/900, Dash-8Q400, Bell-407

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-8750H@2.2GHz 6 Cores turbo up to 4.1GHz, GTX1070 Max-Q@8GB GRAM, 16G RAM, 512G SSD, 500G SSD, CH Product Fighter Stick, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5.

The other way to "cheat" is to set your altimeter to the current field elevation when first jump in the pit.

I am unsure of how real world ATC works, but from my understanding they do give you the current air pressure which you dial in. But what about at fields without ATC? Wouldn't you just dial it in yourself? And could you do that anyway even with ATC?

I am unsure of how real world ATC works, but from my understanding they do give you the current air pressure which you dial in. But what about at fields without ATC? Wouldn't you just dial it in yourself? And could you do that anyway even with ATC?

Yes, they do give you the current air pressure to dial in. In fields without ATC it is a bit diffrent.

When you take-off from there you just move the pressure setting until the altimeter indication matches the field elevation.

When you arrive there you will use nearby ATIS briefings or maybe ask Flight Information about the current air pressure for your destination.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled