DCS: Black Shark - Q&A **READ FIRST!**

EvilBivol-1

Got questions about DCS in general or DCS: Black Shark in particular? Ask here!

Note, your question might have already been asked in this thread, so please try using the Search This Thread function before asking. You can also try a search in the DCS General Discussion sub-forum.

Finally, we have put together an extensive FAQ list, which may also address your questions. Please, be sure to read through the FAQ before asking.

Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark FAQ:

Q: Everyone thought that Black Shark was going to be an add-on to Lock On, why did this not happen?

A: As we evaluated the concept of doing a helicopter simulation with a 6DOF clickable cockpit, new terrain area, very detailed avionics and a new mission and campaign structure, it became clear that we could not use the Lock On code, and we would have to develop a highly-modified version of our existing 'The Fighter Collection Simulation Engine' (TFCSE) with new code. Additionally, whereas Lock On was a survey simulation that featured several aircraft at a medium level of fidelity, we wanted to start a new product line that studies one aircraft at a time in exquisite detail.

Q: Why are you publishing Black Shark yourselves?

A: The entertainment PC-based Flight Simulation market is very specialized and very different from the console market that the major publishers focus on. Through our experience of self-publishing Flaming Cliffs, we have developed the knowledge and expertise to sell and market directly to the Flight Simulation market through both on-line and retail channels.

Q: The public demonstrations at shows indicate that Black Shark looks already completed; why are you waiting until 2008 to launch?

A: Black Shark can be played as either a serious study simulation or as a casual game. For those who wish to have the complexity of a serious study simulation, we need to create training lessons with voice-overs that guide the user through the complexities of the various systems, avionics, engines, weapons etc. This can be a very time-intensive process. We also need the time to write the manuals, create exciting missions and campaigns, fully de-bug the code, and get the product into the market place with proper marketing.

Q: What will be the retail price of Black Shark?

A: We are currently evaluating pricing strategies for both retail and online and will announce this prior to launch.

Q: Your press release indicates that Black Shark is the first in a series of DCS modules, with more aircraft/helicopters to follow. How soon will these new aircraft become available?

A: We are already developing the A-10A “Warthog" and AH-64A “Apache” (with planned front-seat / back-seat multiplayer) and other western and eastern aircraft will follow with an approximate interval of every nine months. To announce these later aircraft now would be premature because plans can often change and lead to delays due to numerous factors such as our work in the equally important military simulation market.

Q: Does the launch of the new DCS series mean the end of Lock On?

A: Absolutely not. The DCS series and Lock On will live side by side for many years to come. The Lock On community is extremely active, with many websites, and new users are purchasing Lock On and Flaming Cliffs every day. Modifications are continually being launched by the communities that enhance the Lock On experience. Though we will not be launching new aircraft for Lock On, we are evaluating a 1.13 patch to meet the continual demands of the Lock On community.

Q: What copy protection system will the DCS series use?

A: We are currently evaluating several protection methods that we hope will balance the protection of our investment with customer concerns.

Q: How will multiplayer compatibility be ensured between players with different DCS modules?

A: The base DCS simulation environment will be continually upgraded and improved with release of new modules. However, as each new DCS base version is released, all DCS users can upgrade to the same base version to ensure compatibility. The only difference between players would be the selection of what aircraft would be player-controllable versus AI-controlled according to which modules were purchased.

Q: There was earlier discussion of the use of “Speed Trees” in Black Shark. Will DCS use “Speed Trees”?

A: For this first iteration of DCS the answer is no. We experimented with “Speed Trees” in earlier builds but found that our proprietary tree generation technology provides much better results at medium and high altitudes and provides much better frame rates. We will revisit this technology in later iterations of the DCS.

Q: I own “Lock On”, which was also developed by Eagle Dynamics, and I want to know if “Lock On” aircraft will be part of DCS?

A: DCS is a whole new product line and is not compatible with “Lock On”. The only flyable aircraft in the initial release of DCS will be the Ka-50. DCS and Lock On will not be multiplayer compatible.

Q: Will DCS include a dedicated server option?

A: Not in the initial release, but this is a feature we plan for a later iteration of DCS.

Q: Will infantry be included in DCS?

A: We have been experimenting with animated infantry but the technology is still incomplete and it is still uncertain if this feature will make it into the initial DCS version.

Q: Will there be a DCS: Black Shark demo?

A: Right now our primary focus is on finishing DCS: Black Shark and making it available to you. Once this task is complete, we will evaluate the creation of a playable demo. No decision has been made at this time.

Q: How modifiable will DCS be?

A: Our number one goal of any tools to modify the program will be to maintain multiplayer compatibility between players and as much as possible neutralize online cheating. With that in mind, we will provide an extensive set of options using LUA code to modify certain systems, replace models and textures, and modify the GUI.

Q: What are DCS: Black Shark minimum specifications?

A: Although not final, we project the minimum specification to be as follows: CPU: 2 GHz; RAM: 1 GB; Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce FX with 256 MB of RAM / ATI Radeon X1300 with 256 MB of RAM or equivalent; 3 GB free HD space; Operating system: Windows XP SP2 and Vista with DirectX 9 or 10.

Q: Will DCS: Black Shark be Vista-compatible and take advantage of multi-core processors?

A: The initial release of DCS will use a heavily modified version of our TFCSE simulation engine that will run Windows XP SP2 and Vista equally well using either DirectX 9 or DirectX 10. However, DCS versions based on the TFCSE engine will not take advantage of DirectX 10 unique features or multi-core processors. We plan however to provide such features in our new simulation engine that is currently in development for later versions of DCS.

** Additional FAQs can be found here. **

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the following statements correct?

BS will now be stand alone.

BS will only include 1 flyable (Ka-50)

BS will get more flyables, (for free?) presumebly beginning with the Su-25T as there should be least work to be done on that one.

BS will get a new flyable only when it meets the standards set by the Ka-50, meaning clickable 6DOF cockpit, AFM, WAFM and so on.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Are the following statements correct?

BS will now be stand alone.

Yes.

BS will only include 1 flyable (Ka-50).

Yes.

BS will get more flyables, (for free?) presumebly beginning with the Su-25T as there should be least work to be done on that one.

No.

BS will get a new flyable only when it meets the standards set by the Ka-50, meaning clickable 6DOF cockpit, AFM, WAFM and so on.

Yes.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

For me, as a fan of as-realistic-as-it-can-get, the last statement in AirTito's reply is just great...

And i' have a question that is concerning probably a lot of the future players of Black Shark...there are System Requirements given in the FAQ...but AirTito, could you as a part of the test team give us some more information on the subject. How does it run in comparison with FC 1.12? What's your configuration, and how the game is running on it? The answers are just to give us some orientation about possible future upgrades...in a way, should we start collecting money for new VC or CPU ;)

For me, as a fan of as-realistic-as-it-can-get, the last statement in AirTito's reply is just great...

And i' have a question that is concerning probably a lot of the future players of Black Shark...there are System Requirements given in the FAQ...but AirTito, could you as a part of the test team give us some more information on the subject. How does it run in comparison with FC 1.12? What's your configuration, and how the game is running on it? The answers are just to give us some orientation about possible future upgrades...in a way, should we start collecting money for new VC or CPU ;)

Well, my specs are Athlon X2 4200+, 1Gb RAM and 7800GT video- and with that system the beta runs.. well, lets say not bad :) Upgrade is always good, though my hardware knowledge isn't that good to suggest you something specific. The more the better, pretty lame but true ;) But if you run Flaming Cliffs at reasonable frame rates (30+FPS at medium to high settings) you shouldn't be affraid of how BS would run at your PC. Note, it's still in beta hence it's still optimized. What we have now is a WIP (beta) which will differ from the final product.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

No to Su-25T being the next aircraft or no to being free? :)

The FAQ says nothing about the Su-25T, so anything concerning that particular aircraft is nothing but a speculation. The aircraft in development is the Ka-50, next will be the AH-64A and the A-10A- that's all we know at the moment. And it's not bad if you ask me ;)

=RvE=

Maybe asking this could be just anticipating to much but i need to ask.

ED are considering to add another " module " in the future like the A-10A and AH-64 Apache to DCS Series involving Mig-29, Su-27, F-15 or something like that?.

The posibility or imposibility to obtain real info about systems, flight dynamics, perfomance and combat & weapons data about this fighters could be determinant to adding them?

( because now is almost impposible to obtain the info about F-15 and i think this order of things could not change in near future and this could represent that we could never get this fighter or fighters in DCS Series)

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Oh.. so ED is abandoning Su-27 and other fighers then, that is sad :cry:

...Following the Ka-50 “Black Shark”, TFC/Eagle Dynamics will introduce additional aircraft modules to the “DCS” world like the A-10A “Warthog”, AH-64A “Apache”, and other aircraft at the same exacting level of detail..

See? DCS will have a modular design- theoretically that means that every aircraft could be modelled. So I prefer rather look at this as a future investment than abandonment.

=RvE=

Is there a download version planned? (cause I hate dongles like other highend military simulations)

MultiCore is not supported yet but planned?

Right; check the FAQ, with new modules, the engine core will be updated ... that means even if you don't buy the new module, you'll get to upgrade the core and get the same benefits in terms of DX updates, using multicore CPUs etc, and of course, playing with people who have different modules.

Will FC and BS be compatible as far as multiplaying is concerned?

No, they are way too different.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Is there a download version planned? (cause I hate dongles like other highend military simulations)

Through our experience of self-publishing Flaming Cliffs, we have developed the knowledge and expertise to sell and market directly to the Flight Simulation market through both on-line and retail channels.

EDIT: I see GG already answered your other two questions :)

=RvE=

See? DCS will have a modular design- theoretically that means that every aircraft could be modelled. So I prefer rather look at this as a future investment than abandonment.

See the point. This means that in the far future we can get MiG-29 and F-16 as a additional module? Is this code able to simulate physics in supersonic speed? If not now theoretically can it be add in code later?

Yes and yes and yes ... basically. :) In theory we can get whatever aircraft - which aircraft they will BE will depend on factors which may not necessarily be in ED's control.

See the point. This means that in the far future we can get MiG-29 and F-16 as a additional module? Is this code able to simulate physics in supersonic speed? If not now theoretically can it be add in code later?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It's not about the code. If you have the data- the equations are well known and will give you the solution. But there's a commercial part also ;)

=RvE=

Right! Vikhr goes supersonics and it's known that it will ahve AFM. So they managed this problem already? I mean those horror change in forces while going supersonic. Can you confirm this GG?

EDIT:

It's not about the code. If you have the data- the equations are well known and will give you the solution.

Ah ok! Thanks AitTito!:thumbup:

Well ... without seeing the computations being done, no, I cannot confirm it ... but keep in mind that a missile's FM does not need to be quite as complex as that of a flyable AC either, even if the missile has WAFM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure what it is that worries you - the game core will be upgraded as well, and those who own any part of DCS will be able to do this upgrade to remain compatible - as far as I know, this will be free of charge (ie. you are not required to buy every module)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well if its their project who else's control would it be in?

Yes and yes and yes ... basically. :) In theory we can get whatever aircraft - which aircraft they will BE will depend on factors which may not necessarily be in ED's control.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.