Glass material

Jacks

I am trying to add a glass cockpit to a mod I am working on but cannot get it to work.

I have created a blue dds texture (DXT 5) with an alpha channel and opacity set to 2% (using gimp and not photoshop). I have assigned this map to the diffuse channel (100%) and the opacity channel (5%). I have set the blinn parameter opacity to 5 also. For the diffuse and opacity channels I have set the mono channel to alpha and set the alpha input to image input.

I have made the material 'cool' and set it to glass in material attributes but in modelvirwe right it is not transparent at all although it has the blue colour used in the diffuse map.

What I am doing wrong?! Can you use dds textures for diffuse and opacity maps or do you have to use TGA images?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Save as DXT5

In alpha channel:

White = Opague

Black = Transparent

attachment.php?attachmentid=135982&d=1457120086

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks, hopefully this is possible in gimp 2.......

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Thanks for the help, after more playing around I got it to work!

So if the transparency is controlled using the texture images alpha channel, what effect does the opacity channel in the materials editor have. Currently I have the glass texture map assigned to both the diffuse and opacity channels with 100 and 15 set respectively.

Thanks in advance,

Jacks

• 3 weeks later...

Make Cool

I don't think you need opacity...diffuse set to 100%. Alpha on the texture handles transparency, hit 'make cool' one time on ED Model Tool. Check in the model viewer. I was having issues because I wasn't correctly saving my .tga file alpha layer, but looks like we can use .dds

On the ED-specific materials, you can look at the attributes of each material to tell which 3ds attributes affect what. For glass, use diffuse only, and I think you can adjust three other properties as well, so have fun! You can likely make umpteen different layers of scratches on your canopy, but you would need a spec map to gain mastery over it. That's a different story for a different thread.

For Glass:

specPower=SPECULAR_LEVEL();

specFactor=GLOSSINESS();

reflectionValue=REFLECTION_AMOUNT();

So, you can see no opacity for Glass.

| A-10C | Ka-50 | F-86 | Mig-15 | P-51D |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]