My WiiMote project is complete!

JonK

Thanks for the tips.

Man you've got a great setup, very neat! If you are planning to work on the touch screen project, you might wanna go with softer switches, like those used in DVD-ROMs to detect disc tray position.

And here's what I said on youtube:

In DCS-BS, a text message pops up when you hover the mouse pointer on a certain switch, which is pretty handy if you're not quite familiar with the cockpit. Is it possible to put a second IR LED elsewhere(say fixed to the monitor frame)that goes ON when you press your screen? Then you may keep the one on your fingertip constanly lit and use it to move the mouse arrow for text messages.

May require some extra wiring, but it may warth the try.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be possible with updated software that has this built in, but as of now you can't do it. when the ir is lit- it is a mouse click. in smoothboard you can select the ir to act as a double, right, or left click, but that is far as it goes.

Sounds like I need to dig deeper into this handy device. I've heard that a lot of things can be done with GlovePIE programing, but never had the time to learn about it. I'm a micro controller system application engineer, PC programing is not my specialty. I may look into it later when my current project is finished.

wip device

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my device.

Sill in wip but works, by that I mean Trackir can see the LED.

Still have not got the Wiimote working but will solve that soon I hope.

For those interested, this device is made by attaching a switch and Led to a steel sewing thimble, I used double sided tape . after connecting the leads and battery, I stretched a rubber finger cover(available at mose office supply stores..12 per box, about $2.50) over the assembly

This creates an area between the switch and the cover. The result is a soft and easily activated device with minimal negetave impact on my monitor( I hope):)

NOW....If I can just get the F'n wiimote workin!

Funny thing is...I already have touch screens that I use with Touchbuddy. So why am I doin this.....

This just seems like a cool project!

powertouch001.jpg

powertouch002.jpg

What Ir led did you use? I just cut the palm out of my glove and left one finger.

(Vista 64)

Here is a pic of my dual Wiimote setup using the IO bluetooth adapter from Walmart- ( Bluesoleil , which I had to buy for 28$ because mine came from broadcom) Smoothboard white board . Using 2 Wiimotes is awesome, when one gets the signal blocked the software switches to the seconday and you cannot tell. I have mine placed over my head now pointing down. I placed my TrackIR in the center and is working pretty well so far!

002-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

Hey Flim very nice pit!

Sorry I cant tell you much about the LED, I just bought the inly one I saw at Radioshack.

I like your glove, might make one like it later after ig get everything working.

Looks like I have alot to learn about this Bluetooth and Wiimote stuff.

not sure what my options are, do I need to buy another Bluetooth adapter with the Blue soleil stacks( what ever that is)

or can I just buy the stacks and use with the device I have which came with Toshiba stacks.

On top af that I cant even tell if my Wiimote is on or not,no indicator light!

If you have any suggestions or pointers I would very much appreciate it.

BTW, here is a pic of my rig running with Touchbuddy and MFD Extractor on a 15"touchscreen. Please excuse the dust

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/Hipshot99/powertouch004.jpg

nice setup yourself! I tried 3 different stacks, Broadcom, Micosoft, and Bluesoleil. My IO gear adapter came from Walmart and had the broadcom stack. You have to manualy hook up the Wiimote each time you want to use it. That is why I chose the bluesoleil stack , because it was the eaisest , plus I heard they were going to add a Wii adapter to their software soon. When the Wii is connected , all the lights will flash - and keep flashing( you hit A+B to start the hook up). Your Wiimote light will search for 20 sec and go off if it does not connect. Again, when connected, the lights will flash the whole time. After connection you need to start the smoothboard software and the wiimote will go to one light.

Thanks for the tips Flim, I was able to get the WII connected but still haning some probs with the calibration part'

I think it might be the intensity of thr IR LED I am using or the WII location.

I'll keep playin around with it n see what happens.

Is it working well for you ?

Have you used it with Falcon4?

Somebody asked for pointers, etc.

http://wiibrew.org/w/index.php?title=Wiimote#IR_Camera

Which includes this tidbit:

"With the IR-pass filter intact, 940nm sources are detected with approximately twice the intensity of equivalent 850nm sources, but are not resolved as well at close distances."

By the way, the most commonly recommended LEDS are:

SFH485P (FreeTrack recommended)

VISHAY TSAL6400 (Johnny Lee's choice)

The High Output: 5mm IR LED that I found at Radio Shack:

Part # 276-0143

Radiant power output (100mA): 16mW min.

Forward voltage: 1.2V

Forward current: 100mA

Viewing angle to 1/2 intensity: 45 degrees

Wavelength: 940nm

The following topic on the FreeTrack site has good info on LEDS:

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=413

Their website also has a handy LED assembly calculator (choose the single point model for a finger tracking glove build):

http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/calcled/

Here's a link with tons of useful info:

http://wyxs.net/web/wiimote/digital_whiteboard.html

It includes info on using USB to power the Wiimote, and also an AC adapter pointer:

http://wyxs.net/web/wiimote/digital_whiteboard.html#h7.2.2

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-Battery-Eliminator-Camcorder/dp/B000XQTH28

A google search on using a Wiimote with a PC will turn up plenty of other sites to check out also.

Hope that helps someone!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Dont know if this has been mentioned before, but wouldnt it be cool to have the wii tracking your finger all the time, so that the mousepointer is always at your fingertip?

It should be like

- 1st LED always on = translate to mouse movement

- 2nd LED only on when press = mouse click

Great to see that kind of innovation.

But has anyone thought about how to simulate the mouse wheel for the rotary knobs in the cockpit?

It might be posible to use a wheel or rotary on the throttle while the glove LED is on...

Or, maybe a click and hold with the LED, and dragging left or right (or up and down).

Edited by CyBerkut

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dont know if this has been mentioned before, but wouldnt it be cool to have the wii tracking your finger all the time, so that the mousepointer is always at your fingertip?

It should be like

- 1st LED always on = translate to mouse movement

- 2nd LED only on when press = mouse click

*THAT* would rock!

It might even not be that hard to program (modifying existing whiteboard or smoothboard code)....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Redtail,

Not sure which switch you're using, but I found on mine it was best to use epoxy. Placing this glue around the edges of the switch, away from the pole itself, secured it very well.

Glad to see others are having success with this!

My pursuit of moving this towards a professional product is on hold for a little while. Real life junk (taxes) are currently screaming and sponging the majority of my funds for the near term.

thanks, i'm just about done. I have a Rocketfish Bluetooth adapter. Installed software that came with it on my Vista64. It detected the wii but it won't stay connected, so I think I'm going to have to get a different software for it.

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flim, nice setup indeed. I see you have a Cougar. I haven't used mine in a long time because the flimsy pots are all shot :(

Is yours modded, or is it just new?

hey don't look like you have much room, but a tripple monitor setup with that would rock! Thats what I'm running. If I wasn't in NY, Id love to come over to check out that pit :)

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to open this up again. I was wondering from those people who have done this what size monitor they are using and what is the resolution of that monitor. In addition, are you finding that the switches and stuff on the screen are large enough for you to interact with, or do you find that you need to move your head forward to "zoom" in to get a larger area to "hit".

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Corsair8X

Sorry to open this up again. I was wondering from those people who have done this what size monitor they are using and what is the resolution of that monitor. In addition, are you finding that the switches and stuff on the screen are large enough for you to interact with, or do you find that you need to move your head forward to "zoom" in to get a larger area to "hit".

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

I'm using a Samgsung 22" lcd at 1680x1050. Some of the buttons on the left targeting panel are alittle small and I zoom in a small amount to hit'em. But I found any switch can be hit without zooming if need be.

I'll try to post some pics later if I get a chance.

Edited by Dykefish

Ok, finally got around to posting the pics of my glove. First off thanks to Jonk for sharing his idea and Mr. Lee for his awesome project. I also picked up some ideas from the other posters in this thread...thx!

This is actually the 2nd glove. The 1st glove I made was almost exactly like Jonk's with the switch glued to the front on my index finger. I didnt like the pressure it was appling to my monitor so I went with a side switch that could be activated by my thumb. I also cut the thumb off so I could have more touch sensitivy to the hats on the throttle. The precision is pretty impressive. So far the only downers are the kids are mad at me for swiping there wiimote and the awesome looks I get from my wife when im walking through the house with my trackir and glove on. Neat stuff.

now for the pics...

wii_1.thumb.jpg.4cdee0202202bf4a0f784b6bce1284d3.jpg

wii_2.thumb.jpg.a13a59b81f9ca5b5370a8a506018ea39.jpg

wii_3.thumb.jpg.4af46ffadd2cfb12d207c6026e868c3a.jpg

wii_4.thumb.jpg.43b10514af54365c0bdb5df3428c8c27.jpg

wiimote016.thumb.jpg.ba515dfe9ef0d6742ca907f858951024.jpg

Thanks for the photos. We've actually got the exact same monitor. Glove looks just about professionally made. I hadn't considered that there would be a slight zoom anyway just by having to lean forward to touch the screen. Thanks for the help.

Corsair8X