Jedi's A-10C home made cockpit

jvanes

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job! That turned out very well with lots of room for possible addons like panels. I'm working on getting a UMC 2.0 seat from flim then its on with the pit build. I really like your setup.

Edit: You could put a 1920/1080 touchscreen in the front console and run helios.. just a thought.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Thanks for the comment TulsA-10.

I am not familiair with Helios, tell me more

Man your missing out..lol Here is the link to the developers website. http://www.scsimulations.com/ and it's free now! SC Simulations has great group of knowledgeable people ready to help.

The software will allow you to run a touchscreen lcd and simulate panels. You can push buttons and throw switches. It can even output information to phidgets for led control and other devices like servos for gauges

Here is the link to cap loz profile i use for my setup.. Check out the screen shots. http://www.scsimulations.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=81

Here is another link to Flim's video of him using helios.

I could see you mounting a big touchscreen in the center of your front console. Your on the diving board.. now it's time to jump!

Edited by TulsA-10

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Those guys put work into and put it out for free. The choice is yours if you want to pay for it or not, but don't feel like you have to. However is is a very nice thing to do.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 3 weeks later...

Received plans and they are very complete. However, since I have zero skills in cad, has anyone figured out the dims for the plans. If so can I get them from you. Have a friend who is helping but he has limited to help me with this. Thanks for any help.

Lumper

-------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough, the smart cutout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Got the plans from Jedi. Can't wait at my try at this.

Quick question though...

I sent over the files to a shop that does cnc material. The guy told me that...

"Ok, now that I have had the opportunity to view the files, I would suggest that you laser

cut these pieces not CNC them. If you laser cut the pieces, you will get crisp inner corners,

if you CNC the parts, you will have a radius all inner."

What exactly does he mean? Would it be better to laser cut or just have him CNC?

Ryyy,

He's talking about the inside corners. A CNC machine cuts using a round milling bit and can not make a 90 degree inside corner. It will have a curved inside corner the same radius as the cutting bit. Try to picture a round drill bit drilled into each corner of a square and then connect the outside edge of each circle. With out a straight cutting edge you can't make the actual corners square. You would have to use a handsaw / jig saw to finish cut the inside corners to square if you need them that way.

A CNC machine can make a 90 outside corner by just extending the cut past the corner in both directions.

That's right Gadorc

My brother who CNC'd it all has used 2 types of milling bits.

A small bit for the panel (like the cut outs for the MFCD's) and a large bit for the the large parts.

Unfortunally i don't know the diameters but let me say that the roundness just give a fine look to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jedi, I don't know if you got the chance to read my e-mail but I will post it here again to see if any other members can chime in.

From other previous AutoCad plans I have looked at, I noticed that they look like they are in 3D and I could rotate, turn, flip, and etc.

It looks like a finished product which is very cool. But I noticed that the cad file you sent me Jedi, it looks more of just like a normal photo of all the parts needed.

I got in touch with a CNC studio/shop to see if they could cut the pieces for me and this is the e-mail I got from them,

From looking at the file, may i assume you downloaded it from someplace???? if so, may i have that link? if you have autocad and you saved it how you

said you saved it, it should work, "I" however am getting codes that the file is corrupted... it's like you gave me a flattened jpg instead of it being like a photoshop

layered file, i can't do anything with it, it's just a drawing.... if that helps you understand my challenges...

I'm assuming that he won't be able to cut these pieces out without them being "3D"?

Edited by ryyy

@ryyy

Well it is possible that the parts are 3d.

Let me explain what i have done here.

I build my pit not in Autocad but in Revit wich is a 3D modeling program wich i use for my job as a building enigeer.

When the model was done i took it virtually apart flattend it out on a sheet.

Then i had it exported to Autocad, so it is possible that the object still have a 3D shape/thickness.

For CNC work it only uses the 2D shape of the parts.

Hope that this will clear things up a bit.

@all

I have started to do the dimensions for the plans to help you out.

Expected end of this week.

Edited by jvanes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]