P-51 simpit by hegykc

hegykc

Well I guess it's time I start building a simpit myself.

This is stuff I manage to squeeze in along with warthog replacement gimbals and other stuff with more priority than this. But in a couple of months the pace will explode.

It's designed in 3 modules, to be clamped to a working desktop. Left module, right module and front module with instruments. Every switch/button/lever/instrument will be functional and will include features found on the real thing: if it clicks, has a detent on a certain position, needs a push through or pull up, it will have it. Like the oxygen regulator for example, both the turning knob and the flip-up lever are fully functional as in the real thing. So is the canopy eject and open/close. You just can't see the internal mechanisms on the renders, and they are 90% of the work.

First prototype, engine control panel:

computer render

1c_zpsxqocajcx.jpg~original

first prototype

3b_zpsx9hmxxg0.jpg~original

Final version will have much more pronounced white lettering and rounded edges. This also goes to show that all my "renders" and "pretty pictures" are really cad designed, manufacturing ready files. All I did was press start on the machine and 5min later I had a finished product. That's why my "renders" took a couple of years to do. They're screenshots that show at best 5% of the actual cad design work behind the picture.

This is not only about a P-51 simpit, it's about developing tools, techniques and processes to manufacture hundreds of these at 1/10 the cost they are now, even less.

Save

3a.thumb.JPG.e333190c60b962142e50c1fe5751bd2f.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.da074d9d93e948fd834d5babc1683997.JPG

3c.thumb.JPG.bd339d97eec1bd4eb924d0272cde0cac.JPG

3d.thumb.JPG.ba6600eee65eddc6b4f60cacf3919ffe.JPG

3e.thumb.JPG.2fa758656c4e544e69bada4856f987b2.JPG

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1

Thanks, yes I can't wait to have it machined. It has all the throttle and mixture detents, functional and separate friction knobs for throttle and prop pitch, working twist grip for gun sight reticule control. All the axis on top of the line 12-bit 3d hall sensors etc...

Fixed the white color lettering, and went for the black toggle cover for the supercharger switch, but will still increase engraving depth some:

3b_zpsqotxt54t.jpg~original

Save

Indeed the thorttle looks really great (and about to be the only thing I could probably afford). Definetly on my tracking list!

Creators of quality DCS content, especially free ones like your sound mod, will never have to worry about paying for my products, your money is no good here. Once I start turning out dozens of these, you'll be able to pick and choose whatever you like. I will have many sponsorships like this.

I'm really glad and proud you pulled it off despite all that criticism you had to bother with!

Bravo majstore! :thumbup:

P.S. Can't wait to see cockpit of MiG-21 in live if possible.

Edited by Mrgud

I'm really glad and proud you pulled it off despite all that criticism you had to bother with!

Bravo majstore! :thumbup:

P.S. Can't wait to see cockpit of MiG-21 in live if possible.

Hvala! You can count on testing the very first Mig-21 left/right/front modules. I just need a simple WWII prop simpit first, to test some code and switches myself.

all looks great

let me know if you have any throttle mechs spare I'll buy one

They'll be for sale as soon as they get machined and tested.

New prototype for today, P-51 front switch box. Missing the red sticker where the emergency text is, and missing "RX to be fired wheel":

2_zpsgnhxtbob.jpg~original

Save

Edited by hegykc

Creators of quality DCS content, especially free ones like your sound mod, will never have to worry about paying for my products, your money is no good here. Once I start turning out dozens of these, you'll be able to pick and choose whatever you like. I will have many sponsorships like this.

This is very gracious, thank you very much. In my opinion, if you really manage to realise all those wonderfull projects you deserve to take money for it.:thumbup:

The switch panels look superb.

Edited by 5tuka

Creator of the

Immersive Daimler Benz Soundmod

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is incredible. I do almost all my simming in the P-51, I'd buy any of these in a heartbeat.

Stick around, everything I make will be for sale. And I'd love nothing more then to have a flight of P-51's flying on full simpits. And against a flight of Germans on the same full blown simpit configuration, now that would be something!

Fw-190 and Bf-109 are way simpler in number of cockpit elements, so I'll probably prototype them both in half the time it takes me to do the P-51. But that's why I chose it, P-51 cockpit has every kind of lever/switch you can think of, it's great practice for the rest of the lineup.

I'm in for a Bf-109 simpit :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Stick around, everything I make will be for sale. And I'd love nothing more then to have a flight of P-51's flying on full simpits. And against a flight of Germans on the same full blown simpit configuration, now that would be something!

That's awesome. If you have a newsletter or anything I could subscribe to let me know, otherwise I'll just keep an eye out. There's a bunch of us who fly P-51 missions regularly and this sort of thing is right up our alley.

If these boards work as great as they look, you can bet most of us flying the P-51 would snatch them up-- even those of us who couldn't fit a full pit in their homes would love to own an engine control panel or similar sitting on their desk, I'm sure.

• 3 weeks later...

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!! (can't find the Futurama graphic right this second...)

I'd be so in for any of these panels, but I'm wondering if you'll make a simpler set without the cockpit sidewalls in the renders. Like the prototypes you've got displayed here... the housing and switches only. I fly in a Obutto Rev, and I don't want to mount entire sidewalls or front instrument cluster around the chair, but could easily mount switch boxes like what you've already made.

Even 'generic' switch panels not based on any particular aircraft of that quality would be very desirable. I use a Warthog right now but never fly the A-10, so I 'make up' what all the switches on the 'hog do for my WWII aircraft and am used to adapting what I've got available for whatever I'm flying.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
21.07.2016 в 18:21, hegykc сказал:

Well I guess it's time I start building a simpit myself.

This is stuff I manage to squeeze in along with warthog replacement gimbals and other stuff with more priority than this. But in a couple of months the pace will explode.

It's designed in 3 modules, to be clamped to a working desktop. Left module, right module and front module with instruments. Every switch/button/lever/instrument will be functional and will include features found on the real thing: if it clicks, has a detent on a certain position, needs a push through or pull up, it will have it. Like the oxygen regulator for example, both the turning knob and the flip-up lever are fully functional as in the real thing. So is the canopy eject and open/close. You just can't see the internal mechanisms on the renders, and they are 90% of the work.

First prototype, engine control panel:

computer render

1c_zpsxqocajcx.jpg~original

first prototype

3b_zpsx9hmxxg0.jpg~original

Final version will have much more pronounced white lettering and rounded edges. This also goes to show that all my "renders" and "pretty pictures" are really cad designed, manufacturing ready files. All I did was press start on the machine and 5min later I had a finished product. That's why my "renders" took a couple of years to do. They're screenshots that show at best 5% of the actual cad design work behind the picture.

This is not only about a P-51 simpit, it's about developing tools, techniques and processes to manufacture hundreds of these at 1/10 the cost they are now, even less.

Save

3a.thumb.JPG.e333190c60b962142e50c1fe5751bd2f.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.da074d9d93e948fd834d5babc1683997.JPG

3c.thumb.JPG.bd339d97eec1bd4eb924d0272cde0cac.JPG

3d.thumb.JPG.ba6600eee65eddc6b4f60cacf3919ffe.JPG

3e.thumb.JPG.2fa758656c4e544e69bada4856f987b2.JPG

Cool project. Do you have models to make? I want to make these panels

• 4 weeks later...