Battleships Bismark.

Markindel

Dirt not grass unless Maligno has updated the textures see http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2766127&postcount=164

There are Marsden mat ones somewhere too. I have the mod but can't recall where I got it.

<edit> found it, also by Maligno http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2284823&postcount=50

@ESA_Maligno - actually if you do have some grass strips as well as dirt or marsden matting that would be great too!

Thanks Stonehouse. Link is broken for the desert map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Markindel is revising some of the model to see if some theories we have will improve the damage model on the DC3 and if it works probably mean a revision to what has already been posted at some stage for other aircraft.

Tu4 variant is nearly ready - I tried to define a different set up for the 23mm single barrel cannon from the Mig15 and while I partially succeeded the guns would not act like a flexible mount - ie I would have to also define a new gun mount template and was not sure how exactly - and while it looked like a nice fireworks show with tracer shooting out at 90 deg to the fuselage I didn't think you would find that much use Rob :music_whistling: ......so I ended up using the twin barrel 23 mm cannon which has an existing gun mount definition instead and simply gave one gun to a turret but increased the ammo. I thought for a while that the twin barrel guns were not working but then realised they just have a shorter max range than the M2 in the DCS world setup and so enemy aircraft had to get closer for the TU4 to fire back. Bombs are also a bit of a problem as there is nothing the right mass in DCS at present so I had to compromise and put in a load out as close as I could to what I've read was used in the real life Tu4. The guns shooting out the side did give me an idea for a DC3 Vietnam era version though maybe try to see if it is possible some time. Does "Puff" ring any bells? :lol:

Now have to finish testing the Tu4 for basic functionality and figure out how to put it somewhere accessible but make it obvious it's DOLs work still plus the DC3 WW2 stuff and maybe a small He111 revision in the lua.

So while I can't really say how soon for the DC3 as we're not sure how the experimentation will go and whatever way it goes there will be some rework necessary probably it won't be that long before it gets released either.

Very nice skins there Eddie :thumbup:

Edited by Stonehouse

Glad you like them, and two more Aussie Skins just for you, 1 x RAAF and 1 x RAN (The RAN had two, for a short time on loan from the RAAF).

Plus 1 x Buffalo Airlines for our Canadian Cousins. Won't post the images, I feel like I'm hogging the thread !!

If I get bored I might do another couple of Airlines, it keeps me off the streets ... ... !!

Love the work you guys are doing on this, Next question, is there any way to create the guns as turrets so that only the guns on a certain position fire at you rather than all of them?

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Me neither, I've tinkered and played around, even going so far as to try and mount turret mount scripts from tanks and ships and haven't gotten anywhere.

Just a suggestion, but for the time being until we find it, it might be worth reducing the amount of guns, and increasing the ammo count to simulate only 2 or 3 turrets being brought to bear on you rather than all of them as they have an unlimited field of fire.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys, let us remember all that the DCS graphics engine was born for other reasons.

It was not born for aircraft of WWII.

We can only hope in the future with DCS World WWII.

Meanwhile we can only put the passion and do what we can.

Ammo counts are already very high lol. Mainly because the AI tend to fire nearly non stop and historical load outs will see them stop shooting after a very short time. I guess it is all about play balancing but we've already had complaints that the B17 was too easy for instance and therefore damage values were increased. Not disagreeing with you but it's hard to take a line that makes everyone happy so I have gone for as close to history as seems reasonable and possible within DCS at present for the first pass at least. Have you tried lowering the crew skill? It should affect their shooting theoretically at least.

I guess these are all WIP and I know full well they are not perfect so all I can say at present is that I take note of what you say and will keep it in mind and try some more tests as time permits. Unfortunately the only large scale use of these models so far is Shadoh's online campaign and he basically sets the planes on rails to avoid them breaking formation by setting the react to threat as no reaction and therefore the guns are not active and he simulates them via a script. So what it does mean is that no one is really testing them on a large scale where they are as is released.

Me neither, I've tinkered and played around, even going so far as to try and mount turret mount scripts from tanks and ships and haven't gotten anywhere.

Just a suggestion, but for the time being until we find it, it might be worth reducing the amount of guns, and increasing the ammo count to simulate only 2 or 3 turrets being brought to bear on you rather than all of them as they have an unlimited field of fire.

Guys, let us remember all that the DCS graphics engine was born for other reasons.

It was not born for aircraft of WWII.

We can only hope in the future with DCS World WWII.

Meanwhile we can only put the passion and do what we can.

I guess these are all WIP and I know full well they are not perfect so all I can say at present is that I take note of what you say and will keep it in mind and try some more tests as time permits.

So what it does mean is that no one is really testing them on a large scale where they are as is released.

Please don't take my comments as negative criticisms, more critiques in a intentionally helpful manner :)

I can honestly say that the work and efforts of you gentlemen and a couple of others is what breathes at least some life into the WWII aspect of DCS beyond pure dog fighting. I for one am incredibly happy with what you have produced (as are many others) and I've hosted a few sessions in Australia recently within our group hunting down the He-111's.

We found the same issues that you mentioned above trying to get them to hold formation and shoot back and I tweaked the lua's of the ones that were using as I mentioned to only fire half of the available turrets. Still trying to get both happening at the same time ;)

If there is anything we can do to assist you with testing these, we would be more than happy to do so and wait eagerly for what comes next!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No worries, I didn't take it as negative and my reply was exactly what I meant when I said that I will take note and think about it. At present there are quite a few compromises required though as far as accuracy goes (eg using M2s on the HE111 as I couldn't successfully get the guns from the BF109 and FW190 set up as a flexible gun mount) and I just prefer to keep it as close as I can for now and Markindel is generally of the same mind set I believe. I had some interesting side effects recently putting together the Tu4 version of the B29 in that it uses the Gsh_23 but the single gun version from the Mig 15 is not defined as a gun mount template and my attempts failed to create one so far. However the B29 has gun connectors for each muzzle so I could create it so that it acted like a fixed gun mount with the result that I had tracers streaming out at 90 deg to the fuselage on both sides like a firework show. There is a azimuth and elevation variable available so perhaps you could get a directed fixed gun mount but I fear the arc of fire would be very narrow as typically it is intended for use as a fighters forward firing guns. Long story short it ended up with the TU4 being assigned the Gsh_23_2 which is the twin version and therefore it only has 5 of these to keep the muzzle count where it should be. My mistake earlier too, the shorter range comment was incorrect and the Gsh23 actually fires out 300m more than an M2 in the game definitions so it must have just been a glitch in my mission.

Interesting about the Australian connection. I am Sydney based myself and have been a member of 457 Squadron for the last 16 years coming from an EAW/IL2 background from the group viewpoint with Falcon4/Lockon out of my own interest. It'd be really nice to be able to stage a local regional version of the recent Case Blue or something along those lines one day. We tried to take part in Case Blue but the latency/kick requirements to join the mission always defeated us.

Please don't take my comments as negative criticisms, more critiques in a intentionally helpful manner :)

I can honestly say that the work and efforts of you gentlemen and a couple of others is what breathes at least some life into the WWII aspect of DCS beyond pure dog fighting. I for one am incredibly happy with what you have produced (as are many others) and I've hosted a few sessions in Australia recently within our group hunting down the He-111's.

We found the same issues that you mentioned above trying to get them to hold formation and shoot back and I tweaked the lua's of the ones that were using as I mentioned to only fire half of the available turrets. Still trying to get both happening at the same time ;)

If there is anything we can do to assist you with testing these, we would be more than happy to do so and wait eagerly for what comes next!

Edited by Stonehouse

It seems like one of the recent patches has changed something that the bombers used for bombing above 2000m. Not entirely sure and perhaps people who have previously working missions where the bomber was above 2000m when they bombed can see if they still work under 1.5.4. Maybe also confirm that 2000 is the magic number ie does 2001 work etc?

Details of temp workaround via script if things have gone wrong http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2849565&postcount=5

We have been tied up on the DC3 - no bombs - so just haven't noticed any issues. lol I think Markindel and I do more modding than flying or mission building.

Won't able to do much on it until tomorrow and possibly not even then as my wife has some tasks lined up for me this weekend.

YAY! :clap:

Now all we have to do is figure out how to 'Arm' it with P51D mustang pilots and get it to Bomb targets with paratroops!

Any way you Super heroes know of to make a weapon that would call the bailing out pilot shape?

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YAY! :clap:

Now all we have to do is figure out how to 'Arm' it with P51D mustang pilots and get it to Bomb targets with paratroops!

Any way you Super heroes know of to make a weapon that would call the bailing out pilot shape?

This idea is very attractive. Eddie also had already asked me.

We are ready to make any necessary changes to the DC3 but believe us, to be able to bomb targets with the paratroopers, we need to ask help the experts of DCS. A good idea would be to ask for help from Wags.

I do find it hard to write well in English, some of you could do this.

I have had some thoughts on it for a while. I also have the French C130 Mod that you can fly in formation using a different classfile (See my C130 skinpack downloads) and I tied to work out how to do it with that - multiple formations of C130's dropping paras would look great. Tried all sorts of things, no joy.

I wondered if you simply changed say a bomb type for a para model, would that work, but would the para explode on landing, and there is no para model to substitute anyway, so that never got very far.

Still thinking about it but as Mario points out I think we are probably going to need the help of DCS to make it happen, the game engine and hard coding are just not set up to do this.

Never say never, it might happen, something might just work, but these things take a huge amount of time to work out.

Back to skinning the DC3 for now - 16 skins and counting, including several airlines.

Mario

It would have to be something like that I think, but how to put 20 pilots into the model and make them jump out in sequence without crashing the aircraft or having it shot down.

Scott mentioned using the WW2 pilot model instead of the modern pilot model, and that would look much better I think.

It is a puzzle, but we will get it. Uploading my skinpack to the site today.

Eddie