Removed

CptSmiley

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I Finish Other Projects, I will come back to this one eventually (3D Art Wise).

And Re-Vamp / Re-Animate and Re-Export the External Model w/ the DX11 Lightning Effects as well as Re-Export the Cockpit and Likely Try to Expand and Animate some of the major gauges.

As Well as Other Advanced Animations for Player Flyable Systems (Benefit of returning to coding in Visual Studio).

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

Landing gear keybinding started working in some version (change in DCS?) so I tested that.

As a result, there's now animation of the landing gear movement working.

Actuator support is not there yet (hydraulics code not done) but this should be a bit forward again.

Edit: ignore the part about taking off from grass.. :facepalm:

Animation support was there in 3D model before, now there's just code to give different angle for DCS when gears are going up/down.

Code pushed into github again in the usual place:

https://github.com/ipr/F-16Demo

Edited by kazereal

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

One large batch of code cleanup finally done.

Finally had enough motivation to finish that. Further changes should be easier to make and code should be easier to follow now.

Some cleanup still likely but should much easier to make sense of the code now.

Again pushed into github in the usual place:

https://github.com/ipr/F-16Demo

Have a look and leave a comment if you care.

Edit: maybe adding airbrake effect to aero drag would be cool in the future etc.

Edited by kazereal
  • Like 1

Hi. High speed fluttering is largely due to the Flight Control Law, since the one by NASA TP 1538 is used for low speed. Try the GD one.

Be sure to implement the law line by line, including every filter. The original version lacks the filter and also the PID so that there's a ton of flutter and 1G trim is broken.

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

Hi. High speed fluttering is largely due to the Flight Control Law, since the one by NASA TP 1538 is used for low speed. Try the GD one.

Be sure to implement the law line by line, including every filter. The original version lacks the filter and also the PID so that there's a ton of flutter and 1G trim is broken.

Thanks for information.

Now it might be simpler to make changes like that so I'll look into that.

Lemme know if you need anything done to the 3d Model (Animation/Collision etc), and I'll try to make the time,

I still plan to go back and re-vamp the entire thing to Newer Standards (Textures, Lighting etc), as well as re-do animations.

Basically throw away the work already done and re-load the original Max file and start from Argument 0 and Go down the list.

As right now I'm Flying an older EFM Build w/ a bunch of external systems scripted to augment the EFM being incomplete.

However the less external systems/definitions the better, I'd rather the EFM Demo be as much contained within the EFM as possible.

ie Integrating the Airbrake and Engine Spool/Fuel Burn, along with trimming etc would be my top things to fix based on the old build I'm still running.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

There's just sooo many systems and components depending on each other it can be slow progress at times.

I started looking at generators and hydraulic pumps and then I was sidetracked when I noticed AB fuel pump is driven by bleed air from the engine.. Yet another thing that needs to be done.

Anyway, top of my list for 3D model would be:

* was the trailing edge flap animation tied to elevator animation at some point? Need to double-check that..

Edit: looks like arguments 11 and 12 have both elevator and aileron functionality tied together, that might be better if both are controlled in EFM at same time instead of linking them in animation, need to check that

* nosewheel steering: now it does not rotate or I'm missing something.

I'll need to go back and fix the code too, I think I commented that away when I broke some time ago.

* refueling trap door would be interesting to try out things needed for air refueling but a LOT needs to be done before that can happen so, just "nice to have" but not essential

* also would be interested in adding at least some damage modeling to figure out how that can be integrated but still much to do before then (landing gear damage would be my first choice)

* bounding box handling seems to be working now when landing gears are in so disregard earlier comment about it.

Sounds like DCS is somehow still thinking landing gears are out (sounds, movement etc. from landing gears) when animation state shows them in.. Maybe something in the scripts instead?

I'm calling this the "Star Wars effect" :P

Engine spool and fuel burn are high on my list for the code, also airbrake drag and integration to hydraulic system with proper actuator functionality. There's plenty of work to do, we'll see how that all goes..

Edited by kazereal

Hey Kazereal, I tried the latest commit and it's getting alot easier for novices like me to start understanding. Really appreciate the updates. :thumbup:

I couldn't get the wheel brakes to work even though I added

PlaneWheelBrakeOn = 74,
   PlaneWheelBrakeOff = 75,

to command_defs.lua

Am I missing something or are they not working?

Hey SkateZilla,

If it's just a matter of not having time due to other projects, I'd be willing to take on some of those 3D updates.

I think I remember that you're also using Max 2011?

I can understand if you don't want to share the Max files, I just don't want to waste an opportunity to further the project along.

Hey Kazereal, I tried the latest commit and it's getting alot easier for novices like me to start understanding. Really appreciate the updates. :thumbup:

I couldn't get the wheel brakes to work even though I added

PlaneWheelBrakeOn = 74,
   PlaneWheelBrakeOff = 75,

to command_defs.lua

Am I missing something or are they not working?

They are not working at the moment.

I messed something in the code and commented it away (disabled it) until I had time to figure out better way to do them. It was something of a quick hack then and I wanted a better way to implement.

I can look into the way I originally implemented them and enable that again until I have better way prepared.

It is high on my list of things to do.

Edited by kazereal

Hey SkateZilla,

If it's just a matter of not having time due to other projects, I'd be willing to take on some of those 3D updates.

I think I remember that you're also using Max 2011?

I can understand if you don't want to share the Max files, I just don't want to waste an opportunity to further the project along.

Yeah, I dont share Purchased .max files,

As it's against the agreement when purchasing (to not re-distribute).

Is this project still active and being improved, I really like it, but I'd have to learn everything from the basics to help with programming/modeling. Maybe I can provide some information about the F-16 engine, if it might help.

At this point it is not so much about information but more about making suitable simulation code and integrating DCS.

When there is more code ready then getting accurate parameters becomes more important but there's many steps to do before then.

There's now some simple support for trimming plane in pitch, roll and yaw axis.

While I was looking through the code I found a way to add it without much work and binding happened to work out easily too.

Values are not realistic (too large per notch) but can be something to play with.

Airbrake does have limit in opening too (forgot to mention earlier): that is part of flight control logic when landing gears are down and locked so that airbrake won't hit runway. It needs improvements of course but something to get started.

Code is in the usual place. I'll go back to looking at code now, figuring out how to add various stuff later..

Edit: and the trimmer does not have limits yet either so it can get out of control..

Edited by kazereal

Airbrake does have limit in opening too (forgot to mention earlier): that is part of flight control logic when landing gears are down and locked so that airbrake won't hit runway. It needs improvements of course but something to get started.

You can Add to an LUA System to control if needed (but wont effect the drag),

local Gear_Deploy = sensor_data:getLandingGearHandlePos()
 local Air_brake = sensor_data:getSpeedBrakePos()
 local WoW_Nose = sensor_data:getWOW_NoseLandingGear()
 local WoW_Left = sensor_data:getWOW_LeftMainLandingGear()
 local WoW_Right = sensor_data:getWOW_RightMainLandingGear()

Local WoW = 0

if WoW_Left = 1 and WoW_Right = 1 and WoW_Nose = 1 Then
 WoW = 1
 End

if WoW = 1 and Air_Brake > 0 then
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<LeftAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake)
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<RightAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake)
 Else
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<LeftAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake - <Numeric Value to close Airbrake>)
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<RightAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake - <Numeric Value to close Airbrake>)
--ie Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<RightAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake - 20.0)
 End

Edited by SkateZilla

You can Add to an LUA System to control if needed (but wont effect the drag),

local Gear_Deploy = sensor_data:getLandingGearHandlePos()
 local Air_brake = sensor_data:getSpeedBrakePos()
 local WoW_Nose = sensor_data:getWOW_NoseLandingGear()
 local WoW_Left = sensor_data:getWOW_LeftMainLandingGear()
 local WoW_Right = sensor_data:getWOW_RightMainLandingGear()

Local WoW = 0

if WoW_Left = 1 and WoW_Right = 1 and WoW_Nose = 1 Then
 WoW = 1
 End

if WoW = 1 and Air_Brake > 0 then
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<LeftAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake)
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<RightAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake)
 Else
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<LeftAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake - <Numeric Value to close Airbrake>)
 Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<RightAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake - <Numeric Value to close Airbrake>)
--ie Set_aircraft_draw_argument_value(<RightAirbrake ArgID>, +Air_Brake - 20.0)
 End

I'm not sure what you are after with that..

Maybe I was unclear: airbrake angle limiter is in EFM code now. Simple keybinding in DCS options works to control it.

I also want to move stuff away from Lua into EFM whenever possible so it is simpler to follow and understand.

I do have an idea about calculating the drag and integrating it to calculations but I need to research that a bit more before implementing it in code.

Btw, can you PLEASE separate trailing edge flap (aileron) and elevator animation in the 3D model? (args 11 and 12 I think)

That is really problematic since those are conflicting with what the flight model wants to set in specific conditions.

Just to Confirm, Delete Roll Control Animation (ARGs 11/12) from Elevator Mesh?

F-16DCS.EDM.zip

Edited by SkateZilla

Just to Confirm, Delete Roll Control Animation (ARGs 11/12) from Elevator Mesh?

Yes :)

That should help setting the surfaces with better flexibility for different conditions.

Thanks for the attachment, I'll test that now :)

Edit: Yes, this is exactly right, thank you! :)

Edited by kazereal

There's a new prototype for actuator code in the github, it is simpler than what I was originally planning to add:

idea is to get more experience and testing with this code and gradually introducing more things to it.

Only airbrakes use that now (not real values, just for testing), if it seems to work out ok it might be useful in other cases too in the EFM code.

is there a compiled dll + package (luas etc) or do I have to download and compile myself?

I'd like to at least update the base LUA code and UI elements before playing w/ this.

Likely start working on external again and maybe re-vamp the pit after my other projects are finished.

Some items (ie HUD and devices) will have to be LUA Scripted regardless.

Edited by SkateZilla

Hey SkateZilla,

Kazereal always includes the latest dll with the updates.

Here is the direct link if you want to save some time.

https://github.com/ipr/F-16Demo/archive/360fa65bd233ec6c23958ced7c336d34efbe2168.zip

Next time you get a chance to mess with the external can you add arg 114?

Would be nice to not see the external pit when testing cockpit stuff.

Hey SkateZilla,

Kazereal always includes the latest dll with the updates.

Here is the direct link if you want to save some time.

https://github.com/ipr/F-16Demo/archive/360fa65bd233ec6c23958ced7c336d34efbe2168.zip

Next time you get a chance to mess with the external can you add arg 114?

Would be nice to not see the external pit when testing cockpit stuff.

Possibly this weekend, remove the Internal Cockpit, Seat, etc, Should I Leave the Glass, I dont remember if the Pit model had the cockpit glass or not.

Im at a stand still with some of my other projects, so I might come back and start over w/ materials, animations and lighting for the -16c external.

Likely replace the exhaust nozzle as well with geometry, textures and animations that better represent the Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220E.

Likely start with re-doing entry and data LUAs etc etc, then the external EDM, then the Cockpit EDM,

Materials and Lighting will be a big improvement and require texture changes, but it'll look tons better.

I'd pack as a new pack sans DLL.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1