The Ultimate DCS World JSGME Guide - If you use mods, you need this.

Ebs

Just got thumbs up for posting Ricardos blue HD pit as JSGME-zip. Updated original post.

Link is also here:

Ricardos Blue HD cockpit.zip

Edited by tietze

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

So let me get this straight. I should uninstall mods before I do anything? Would repair work to remove them? If so, would the file structure in the backup folder that is created after doing the repair is the one I would use to put in JSGME to make my mods in "_MODS"? Just want to be sure before I mess anything up. :hehe:

Edited by Talon-X-

Great thread!

What I don't get is what happens when a DCS update changes a file that is also in the JSGME MODS-folder and used (in an older version) by a mod. Will this break the mod, the game or something different? I mean, not all mods add new files, some also change existing ones and then there's a conflict.

Great thread!

What I don't get is what happens when a DCS update changes a file that is also in the JSGME MODS-folder and used (in an older version) by a mod. Will this break the mod, the game or something different? I mean, not all mods add new files, some also change existing ones and then there's a conflict.

Yes, it could break either the mod or the sim. That is when JSGME is really handy since it easy to insert mods one at a time until you find the culprit.

There is never going to be a completely perfect solution for some mods.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Is it possible to remove a particular file from the DCS World folder with JSGME?

I'm using it to add/replace files ok, but I would like to be able to remove a file. To achieve this at the moment I'm currently having to rename the file i want removed. But this is difficult to keep track of. Being able to do it with JSGME would be much better.

Regards,

Milli

Is it possible to remove a particular file from the DCS World folder with JSGME?

I'm using it to add/replace files ok, but I would like to be able to remove a file. To achieve this at the moment I'm currently having to rename the file i want removed. But this is difficult to keep track of. Being able to do it with JSGME would be much better.

Regards,

Milli

I don't recall the exact method but it can be done. If you read the JSGME doc file, it contains the info you need.

EDIT: Here is what you are looking for:

- MODDERS: You can remove files from the game by including in your package (empty) text files with -remove added to the filename (ie "filename.ext-remove"). Files will be returned when your mod is disabled.

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Content File

I would like to understand better how the operation of this Program.

I will cite an example that will probably expose my doubt:

Assuming I have a file modified (MOD) after the completion of the download.

Assuming that the folder that has the file contained also has several other files.

When using the JSGE is necessary to create a folder within our EagleDynamic \ DCSWord .....

I have created this folder. Inside we have to allocate the file path changed (sequence folder path to allocate the file) to have the program running properly.

However there are some folders containing the changed file with countless other files.

For the modification occurs correctly inside the final folder is necessary that I have all the standard and modified files within the folder or just end the modified file will be needed.

This program reads the folder created inside the EagleDynamic \ DCSWord ..... and forgets the default folder DCS ...... ie ... therefore it will not read other relevant files that are part of the folder if I let you copy it?

Hi 47box

You only need to include the modified file, or files, in your JSGE mod folder. You do not have to include all the unmodified files aswell.

JSGE will simply replace the original file with whatever file that you have in your JSGE mod folder. It will leave any other files in the destination folder, alone, unmodified.

Hope this explains it ok?

Regards,

Milli

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a doubt:

Some of the files I use for modding are now inside Saved Games folder, because the changes ED did on the files structure. How do I recreate the structure to redirect JGSME to that folder?

E.g I have my Export.lua and Tarsexport.lua inside c:/Users/User/Saved Games/DCS/Scripts folder. How do I create a structure inside _MOD folder (that´s inside c:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World)?

Edited by Direwolf

JSGME is able to recognize symbolic links. So one way could (I have not tested this yet) be to use mklink /d to create a symbolic link (requires NTFS filesystem).

There is at least two ways of dealing with this:

• Having JSGME manage ...\Saved Games\DCS and have a symbolic link to the DCS World inside that folder.
  • Having JSGME manage ...\DCS World and have a symbolic link to Saved Games\DCS inside that folder.

I have a doubt:

Some of the files I use for modding are now inside Saved Games folder, because the changes ED did on the files structure. How do I recreate the structure to redirect JGSME to that folder?

E.g I have my Export.lua and Tarsexport.lua inside c:/Users/User/Saved Games/DCS/Scripts folder. How do I create a structure inside _MOD folder (that´s inside c:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World)?

open JGSME\ look in the middle of the UI for TASK, open up look for regenerate game files...

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Symbolic links are the way to go.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

No problem. I don´t think I´m gonna use symbolic links (I am not familiar with the procedure), but I´m gonna keep a Backup folder with the files I have inside Saved Games. And for the mods that are inside DCS WORLD, I´ll use JGSME.

But I noticed ED is migrating to this new files structure (Saved Games), and in a future release JGMSE should think about it.

Using JSGME was always just a 'stop gap' until ED move completely into the Saved Games folder for mods and I'm glad they've made some progress on this.

I doubt JSGME will see another update. It hasn't been updated in a while and it's 'generic' meaning if there was an update I doubt they'd add specific features for DCS.

There's nothing stopping you from running a second copy of JSGME and pointing it to your saved games though. That'll work.

• Like 1

Using JSGME was always just a 'stop gap' until ED move completely into the Saved Games folder for mods and I'm glad they've made some progress on this.

If they intend to go that route completely, then they also need an in game method for specifying/altering the path to the DCS saved games folder. Mods can be quite large and cluttering the C drive with them should be avoidable without the user having to create a symbolic link in Windows.

That´s an interesting statement!

But still - if you're serious about it, it would be easier to just create a symbolic link inside the DCS World folder, than managing the two folders separately with two jsgme-mod directories.

I use symbolic links a lot. They come in handy for development.

Here's my symbolic link if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Had it backwards. You'll want the main Scripts folder to reside in your DCS directory, not Saved Games, otherwise JSGME will overwrite the linked folder and you'll get nothing in Saved Games. Take two! :P

mklink /d "C:\Users\Anthony\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" "C:\MyGames\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Scripts"

1. Create a Scripts folder in your DCS World directory. I recommend "Config\Scripts" so it doesn't interfere with the main Scripts folder in the main directory. This will be the main folder than you can paste files into that will then be sent to the linked Scripts folder in your Saved Games directory.

2. Next, open up a command prompt (Start Menu, type cmd in search and hit enter). Copy the code, and right click in the cmd window and hit paste then enter. If you did it right it should say symbolic link created at blah blah blah... The way to check if it works is to go into your "Saved Games\DCS" directory and open the new Scripts folder that appeared in there, if it works it'll open, if not you'll get an error. If that's the case check your paths in the script and try again, also making sure that there is no Scripts folder in the Saved Games directory before the link is created, only in the DCS directory.

3. When you know the link works, all you have to do to get JSGME to paste your custom export script to Saved Games is to include a "Config\Scripts" folder with the file in your mod, and when JSGME activates it the symbolic link will send the file to the "Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" folder where it belongs. :)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 1

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "