4k UDH TV discussion/ help

Hey guys,

just looking for some advice when it comes to UHD Tv's. I looked through a couple old topics, but couldnt really figure out a good answer.

My first goal was to buy a 40" curved 4k UHD TV, but that Idea was quickly dismissed when looking at the prices. Found a Samsung one for about 800 bucks, but unfortunately its out of stock everywhere.

I found this VIZIO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889262504&cm_re=uhd_tv-_-89-262-504-_-Product)

The price is just unbeatable, however I cant seem to find a good tech sheet for it. Looks like it does have 120hz but, does that mean it has HDMI 2.0, etc.....?

This Samsung looks nice too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354956R&cm_re=uhd_tv-_-89-354-956R-_-Product

120 motion rate. Is that really 120hz?

This one is from LG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P04BV4300&cm_re=uhd_tv-_-89-356-157-_-Product

So, if you cant tell, I'm really indecisive. I know I need HDMI 2.0. 60hz at a minimum at 4k, 120hz at 1080.... etc. Any of you run one of those TV's?

And then there is also the VR headsets. I researched a little and figured that the resolution is just still not good enough to do competitive dogfights online, etc....

Thanks for your help already!

• Like 2

I am using the Phillips monitor, not TV, in my sig. I might not want it for competition FPS gaming but for DCS it is going to be quite adequate.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So, what exactly are the differences to using a monitor rather than a TV. Of course, the size, but besides that? I think 40" is big enough if you sit right infront of it anyways.

Monitors always run HDMI 2.0?

This one looks nice... price wise not too bad either

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY37G8567&cm_re=computer_monitor_UHD-_-9SIA2RY37G8567-_-Product

Edited by tribundf

There are two things, that differ TV from monitors. First, is available bandwidth, which results in FPS count on UHD resolution. In theory, every HDMI2 input should give 60 Hz at 4K. In practice, and I had learned this the hard way, manufacturer support will claim they have HDMI2, going to blame your cables and stuff like that. For mine TV I was never able to have it run at UHD@60Hz. So, make sure that there is some independent confirmation that TV you planing to get can indeed go UHD@60Hz. Don't trust manufacturer.

Another concern with TV's is input lag. This problem wasn't noticeable with HD TV's, but it is a much bigger problem with UHD panels. Input lag, is a time between input, and the moment inputted changes (for example, mouse cursor move) are displayed. It source is TV signal processing. It is ok for TV but very, very bad for PC usage, especially gaming.

Long story short, I ended up with Philips 40' UHD computer monitor. No problems at all, refresh rate is 60 Hz, input lag is minimal. Crossover variant also looks OK.

Edited by Lehmen
  • Like 1

If you go on 4K TV dont go below 55". Point of the 4K resolution is you can look picture from closer distance. So if you use if from 20 to 30" distance and resizing and seting up proper FOV you will get realistic and immersive feel similar as VR without 3D and got feeling like you are inside cockpit. Even better will be if it is 3D model so with 3D glasses will be like rift.

• Like 2

If you go on 4K TV dont go below 55". Point of the 4K resolution is you can look picture from closer distance. So if you use if from 20 to 30" distance and resizing and seting up proper FOV you will get realistic and immersive feel similar as VR without 3D and got feeling like you are inside cockpit. Even better will be if it is 3D model so with 3D glasses will be like rift.

Are there 55' computer monitors available? I do not know any. Secondly, big screen is good and immersive, but not as immersive as VR like Oculus. On another hand, 4k resolution on big screen makes HUD symbols better readable, and you simply see more. Therefore, using canons or unguided rockets become more fun. And visually looking for the stuff on the ground is easier. Less need to zoom.

PS But be warned, single Nvidia 970 GTX is barely enough for DCS in 4k. For me at least. 970 SLI is ok.

Edited by Lehmen

Actually, 4k looks absolutely awesome on a 40" screen. Higher pixel density is a good thing.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the info guys.

I have been trying to find a curved 40" tv but for some reason there aren't many. I think curved is the way to go for immersion, given that I'm sitting pretty close. Isn't 55" total overkill? That thing is gonna look huge on my desk.

/edit: I will probably get a gtx 980. Running an i7-4790k with 16gig ram. That should be enough to run dcs decently on 4K, right? Or should I go with a Titan? oO

/edit2: so, what about the 3D? Is dcs even possible to be in 3D on a 3D screen? How does that work, the tv transforms it into a 3D picture?

Edited by tribundf

1. From my experience, 970 GTX is almost enough. So, 980 GTX probably (I haven't tried) will be OK. But Titan, or 1080 will be better :D

2. 3D on TV, I wouldn't even considered. Also, remember about input lag, now you are discussing TV features. I strongly recommend to look at PC monitors (which do not have such features, to my knowledge), otherwise, make your research how particular UHD TV model performs as PC monitor. It could be useless, as it was my Philips 6400 UHD TV.

Edited by Lehmen

Isn't 980Ti the same price as 1080 (or close enough)?

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have 55' curved 4K samsung in my cockpit and I dont regret it.

BUT be aware...check the details/specs carefully!

When the TV says 120Hz for example then that usually means MAX!

In other words it can do 120Hz at 1080p but still 60Hz only in 4K.

60fps is sufficient for me and I dont get much more on full quality settings and 4K so I'm cool with it but you should know to not be disappointed if you expect more.

EDIT: Never mind your post says you are aware of it :) I should read more carefully myself I guess, hehe

• Like 3

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Yeah that 3D feature makes sense.

And yes, I think the prices are quite similar, however the 1080 is still quite new. Better get a overclocked 980 or so. Well, or the titan!

How far away do you sit from a 55" monitor. Does the curve really make a big difference when it comes to immersion?

• Like 1

Are there 55' computer monitors available? I do not know any. Secondly, big screen is good and immersive, but not as immersive as VR like Oculus. On another hand, 4k resolution on big screen makes HUD symbols better readable, and you simply see more. Therefore, using canons or unguided rockets become more fun. And visually looking for the stuff on the ground is easier. Less need to zoom.

PS But be warned, single Nvidia 970 GTX is barely enough for DCS in 4k. For me at least. 970 SLI is ok.

True VR is VR no match in immersion but I want to say 4K larger screen is closer to VR immersion than any other screen. VR vs Screen is completely opposite approach. VR is go more to immersion when screens aim more to pictures sharpens and clarity.

About 4K GPU lets wait Radeon RX 480 8GB 230$ be released this month and see some first real games and independent benchmarks. At least will show us is it worth it wait for R9 490 which will definitely be somewhere between 980ti and 1080 with performance but for about 250$ less.

Actually, 4k looks absolutely awesome on a 40" screen. Higher pixel density is a good thing.

40" is border size for 1080p any larger screen on that resolution is annoying pixelisation. With 4K is completely different 4K looks better even on 65" than 1080p on 40". Same distance off course. My point was not to question about picture quality, it is normal that on smaller screen same resolution looks better. When I was talking about 55" I was referring on whole experience not just resolution.

I will compare it like seats on basketball, both of us are on same match but one with better seats have better experience.

If I'm aiming on 4K I will think on all aspects not just resolution.

• Like 2

now how big of a deal is the curve. Having a curved 4k TV vs a flat 4k.... that big of a difference to justify spending that much more?

If you play from closer distance 20 to 30" and have 55" and above curved screen could give you around 20° larger FOV than flat screen same size.

I am giving up on the whole curved TV idea. For some reason there is just nothing out there.

Probably gonna settle with an actual monitor, as 40" or 43" is plenty enough for me.

What do you guys think about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465688693&sr=1-2&keywords=uhd+monitor&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547809011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011

Did you think about Ultra Wide 34"?

It is sweet spot now for work and gaming.

I'm using 29' Ultra Wide (21:9) at work and regular (16:9) 40' at home. For work yes, Ultra Wide screen is great. But for gaming, personally I prefer bigger 16:9. For watching movies is even better.

• Like 1

I'm using 29' Ultra Wide (21:9) at work and regular (16:9) 40' at home. For work yes, Ultra Wide screen is great. But for gaming, personally I prefer bigger 16:9. For watching movies is even better.

Agreed. For having a lot of windows open, ultra wide is great. For gaming, perhaps if it is a racing sim where everything is in the same plane. Not for flying, IMHO.

• Like 1

Quick question guys:

what if those 4K TVs are used at lower resolution? Are they going to deliver a fuzzy picture or are still good?

I have a 3 27" monitors and thinking of upgrading to 3 40" monitors but don't need to go to 4K resolution, because I still need to have a playable DCS :D

• Like 1

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

Quick question guys:

what if those 4K TVs are used at lower resolution? Are they going to deliver a fuzzy picture or are still good?

Fuzzy, but I doubt you will be able to see it in DCS. But if you not going to use 4K, you can consider FullHD TV's (1920x1080). Cost less, same result...

I was playing DCS on 1080p 40" TV

Picture is little pixelated but in game you are not noticing that because of moving. Static picture if you want to work for example in Photoshop is noticeable but at 40" is bearable. With increasing size is increasing pixelization but how much you are noticing it depend from distance you will use it. I'm talking about distance fron 20 to 30" from TV.

If you go for full HD TV take some better model with 3D and don't go above 46-48" 50" max. Just for gaming it is OK and relatively cheep solution.

Also you can force higher resolution on computer for example 1440p which will smooth picture a little give you more movie feeling.

i have a 4k tv (see sig) --- but vid cards aren't powerful enough to push 4k at the framerates i want/need (consistent 60fps @ max settings)

my opinion? aka "if i knew then what i know now........" might aswell spend less and get lower res mon/tv to tide you over until VR headsets get up to speed (res+FR) to handle DCS adequately

[edit - fyi.. i'm currently running 1440p w/ settings maxxed]

• Like 1

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i have a 4k tv (see sig) --- but vid cards aren't powerful enough to push 4k at the framerates i want/need (consistent 60fps @ max settings)

my opinion? aka "if i knew then what i know now........" might aswell spend less and get lower res mon/tv to tide you over until VR headsets get up to speed (res+FR) to handle DCS adequately

[edit - fyi.. i'm currently running 1440p w/ settings maxxed]

Can you pleas describe little more how are you satisfied and how it is run lower res than native 4K?

Did you try 1080p too?

Thanks.

sure ----- i'm actually perfectly happy with it at 1440

yes, i ran it at 1080 for a while - that was fine

but now that i've gotten used to it at 1440, i can't go back : )

i use vsync, i keep the FRs locked at 60 ----- it only ever dips below 60 over downtown las vegas

one caveat, i delete all the trees - the only trees that appear are around towns/cities

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]