My VKB Black Mamba MkIII arrived today... Unboxing Pics!

It finally arrived: VKB Black Mamba MkIII. :thumbup:

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xap8bybsuetfd3m/AADwvG0Fb-C3Wfc_k5nS3v9_a

That steel gimbal with soft-center cams (the default) is a dream! Unlike my old CH Pro Fighterstick, there is absolute no felt "clank" when transitioning axes. It's silky smooth across axes and adds additional tension when moving to the extremes of either axis.

Overall I am very happy with this stick; I can even rotate the stick in order to adjust for whether I use it as a side-stick or center-mounted stick. My wrist will be happy about this!

There are additional cams in the package, as well as different springs for a softer/stiffer feel. The strongest springs are used when using the stick extension, which I plan to use in the future once I got me an Obutto.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratz and thanks for the pictures, rrohde!

(the CH Fighterstick comparison shot is very welcome)

Once you'll have some flight hours with that beast, please tell us what you think about the axes progressive resistance. I'm particularly interested in the feeling with the extender, specifically for piloting the helos.

I'm also curious about the movement range with the extender (both axis). I'm guessing the top of the stick would move in a rough 50 cm / 20 inches diameter circle area…

At least, you'll be able to answer that when you get that interesting Obutto.

I'm using the stiffest spring on the pitch axis with the soft center cam (on my BM MkIII) and I really like the feeling with the Su-27. I kept an asymmetrical configuration as I also use the hard center cam and a weaker spring on the roll axis.

Imo it's a good match (at least for me), as the Su-27 is longitudinally unstable and requires a careful control on that axis. I also have more force pushing and pulling the stick (used as a side-stick) (so more resistance on the pitch axis feel rather natural) - but it might be a personal preference of course.

The ability to customize the flight stick feeling is an amazing feature!

I wish you (and the furry copilot) many lovely flight hours with that great flight stick!

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Once you'll have some flight hours with that beast, please tell us what you think about the axes progressive resistance. I'm particularly interested in the feeling with the extender, specifically for piloting the helos.

!

Would like to know this as well.

My VKB Black Mamba MkIII arrived today... Unboxing Pics!

Do you live I Europe ? I have one on order too...

Edit : never mind, saw you were in the US :-)

Ryzen 3600X - RTX 2080 - 32 GB Ram - DCS on SSD.

DCS Modules : M2K-C, F18-C, FW-190D, Huey, Gazelle, Black Shark, Mig-15, all maps.

So far, the progressive resistance is really a game-changer compared to my CH Fighterstick which literally had the same resistance (at that, a rather loose one) across the whole range of movement; The Mamba's progressive resistance feels natural and suggests a far more believable "being connected with the aircraft" feeling. Hard to put into words, but it feels quite tight during wild maneuvering, building up resistance gently, while at the same time very smooth and accurate during times of minimal inputs, e.g. during landings, because of far less resistance being offered. :thumbup: Those steel cams are really amazing.

I won't be able to test the extension until I have my Obutto.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Okay, so I changed the springs on my Mamba in order to prepare for some testing while using the extension.

Here are some pics I took while changing the springs (I went from the default to the stiffest ones, made to support the extension); I've also added a dab of grease to the cam rollers - for good measure (not sure if that's needed):

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hne1z2aial0txrj/AACVN3IhYey_dql91_99bsaOa

By the way - that cam and gimbal design is simply brilliant. I don't think there's anything like it in the flightsim industry... just sayin'! :thumbup:

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Quick follow up on testing the Mamba with the extension:

I've "jerry-rigged" my setup a bit in order to use the extended Mamba by placing the Mamba on a little stepping stool, and then rearranging my office chair and T-Rudders. See pictures here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y4ks4hm3wuy0s9q/AADeE73HfY_2A9-B0Gp1cEOWa

This whole test I did on a whim, just to get a feel for the Mamba with the extension, and all I have to say is "wow!". Even though the stick wasn't bolted down, and everything is a hotpotch setup, the feeling from going from a desk-stick to a center-mounted stick with extension is unreal! One of the biggest pluses of the Mamba is the fact that I was able to rotate the grip to the left, to fly with a straight wrist. That alone made a huge difference in the overall feeling and handling.

The sensation of flying the Huey (my testbed for tonite) changed dramatically, and the controllability of it went through the roof. I saw myself constantly making the smallest inputs, and I've never flew the Huey this smoothly before. I also tested the M2000C and the Su-27, and the experience is similar.

The Mamba with extension just feels perfect to me. The resistance is just right, thanks to the extension's leverage maybe a tad soft around the center, but it progressively stiffens towards the extremes, and that feels just right and very satisfying. The stiffer springs keep the extended stick centered when letting go of it, which is another plus.

Overall, I am blown away. Having tried the Mamba with extension just now, I have inadvertently justified me ordering an Obutto because I cannot go back to a stick on a desk. ;)

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm guessing the top of the stick would move in a rough 50 cm / 20 inches diameter circle area…

Without having measured it, it didn't feel quite like 50cm, more about 35-40cm - which isn't bad at all!

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Damn you rrohde, damn you for making such compelling arguments in favor of the Black Mamba! :D

Seriously, man, for years I was content and happy with the TM Warthog. I know some people complain about the stiction problems, but it was never really a problem for me, and I know I could take it apart and probably reduce the stiction to even smaller levels.

But now... knowing there is hardware with superior interiors, right where the Warthog stick is lacking... it's nagging at me: "Go for it... grab the extension as well... should be worth the wait... and the cash."

And the worst part? It's currently sold out. Damn! :D

The idea with the cams looks awesome, reminds me of the ingenuity of the MFG Crosswinds. So, who am I fooling - when the next shipment of Black Mambas becomes available and I'm not broke at the time, I'm probably going to go for it. :lol:

Thanks for all the images, that really looks like an amazing stick. Now like I hinted before in another thread, put the camera away and get some more flight hours with the new toy. :thumbup:

I am falling for the same 'trap' as Yurgon, except I can't seem to find any indication of when, and if, it will be possible to order one since the Pre-order is long since over.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

SO jealous. I wish they would make another round, but apparently they won't. We'll have to settle for the Gunfighter model, which will have a WWII style grip (to be immediately replaced with the HW one when I get my hands on it.)

Thanks for the kudos, Yurgon! You might like this setup then. ;)

Oh, and cichlidfan - it's not a trap.

The Mamba is "dead", long live the Gunfighter!

Since the Mamba was only revived for one final production run (luckily I preordered back in November '15), VKB now focuses on the Mamba's successor - the Gunfighter. It's basically a modern Mamba, with the same new gimbal/cam setup in the Mamba, but certainly a newer design concept. The Gunfighter will also come with swappable grips, with Warthog adapters, and extensions - just like the Mamba did.

The first batch of Gunfighters will come with a somewhat of an entry-level type grip (WW2-style), but VKB already works on an Su-35 inspired grip - and a throttle quadrant.

So yeah, VKB is doing well, and have a lot of hot new stuff in the pipeline, yet they're also a small team and need time to deliver the goodness. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Ok, now I need an extender. Thanks for that contagious feedback rrohde!

I'm glad you finally couldn't wait to test the extender. The increased precision and general feeling is well worth the effort apparently.

It was already a great pleasure to fly the Ka-50 with a side-stick configuration and the MkIII gimbal, so I can only imagine how smooth and accurate it should be with that extender now that you've given us a glimpse of the center-stick experience.

Also for those who don't own a Black Mamba, keep in mind the Gunfighter will still be compatible with the Warthog grip. I'm now also considering buying one to use that excellent grip with my BM. And from what I've seen, Thrustmaster is about to reveal some new products this month (for their 25th anniversary, April 18, in NY).

I can't wait to use a fully modern HOTAS with the upcoming naval operations ED is cooking…

And btw, I can only agree with rrohde about the gimbal and the BM ;) Top-notch gear!

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

The Mamba is "dead", long live the Gunfighter!

Oh, I see. So the Gunfighter's interior is equal to that of the Black Mamba, but the grip will be new?

But... the base of the Black Mamba looks like it has so many switches and rotaries - and they're not going to produce another batch? I mean, one can never have too many knobs and buttons and switches on a HOTAS. I've got a feeling they could sell them by the hundreds, seeing as the word is spreading by satisfied customers. :music_whistling:

But... the Black Mamba... - and they're not going to produce another batch?

No, VKB Mambas now "is history". The end. :)

Gunfighter is a new concept of joystick - a modular one.

It was planned from the beginning as "floor" joystick, to be use with extension (20cm) - so no buttons/knobs on base, since is no practical use then with toes. :)

Notice that inside Gunfighter metal base are only the all metal CAM gimbal (same of Black Mamba LE) and sensors, no USB controller.

The USB controller are inside the "Black Box" (in appropriated color), that can control other peripherals, eg. a button panel with extra switches and knobs through BUS connectors. ;)

VKB_1.jpg

image hoster

Gunfighter can be used as desktop joystick too, without extension. :joystick:

Initially will use the grip from Gladiator, based on KG-12/13B grip used by Luftwaffe fighters in WWII, as in some Russians fighters, and later in several 50's eastern planes, e.g. Mig-15.

This is the only grip produced by VKB for now.

The (no longer available) Mamba models use grip borrow from Defender Cobra M-5 (VKB project) - a joystick sold basically in Russia/CIS market - but this is an uncertain production and will not be used more, also to not depend on third parties.

A adapter for Warthog/Cougar grips is available for Gunfighter, with specific CAM profile and more strong springs due the additional weight of this grips.

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

And from what I've seen, Thrustmaster is about to reveal some new products this month (for their 25th anniversary, April 18, in NY).

That sentence caught my eye. Where did you hear about this?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spotted on CheckSix (main french sim community website):

Thrustmaster_news2.jpg

That's terrific news Bourrinopathe, I look forward to seeing what they have for us. Fingers crossed it's a high end hotas.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]