Hello everyone ! Need a little help to start flying and fighting !

bernek

What is the basic commands that I need to have mapped on my joystick ? (I have a modest TMASTER HOTAS X)

What about combat ? Take-offs and landings ? I dont mind using a keyboard or using a modifier on my joystick but I need a point to start from :)

I love the F15 and the SU27 and I would love to be able to use them with HOTAS X.

I also use FaceTrackNoIR with a PS3 EYE (old version moddable) camera for TRACKING. (it works really well so I dont need camera or view on my HOTAS X)

I did a few flights but I really miss the fun since I dont know what should I have mapped on my joystick.

If anyone is using this modest TMASTER HOTAS X please post here your settings or profile ! (I've found on the forums an old TMASTER HOTAS X profile but its from 2011 and the extension for it its .lua not diff.lua - I tried changing it but still doesnt work)

Please help me out guys ! :cry:

I dont need for now the most advanced tactics just some basic aviation tips and combat tips :)

Also some mapping ideas for HOTAS X (TMASTER) would be really appreciated !

I've bought FC3 and honestly I'm a little dissapointed beacuse I dont know where to start learning :)

Thank you again !

Sincerelly,

Bernek

Having a TFLIGHT HOTAS-X, and having tried it with DCS, I'll tell you what I did... It's not what you want to hear though.

I bought an X-55 Rhino. Now, there are many reasons for this. First, as you have realized, there's just so many damn commands that are normally controlled by the HOTAS, that with the HOTAS-X, you just can't control. You only get one hat switch on that stick, and if you look at the stick and throttle in the game, you'll notice that there's 7 hats, as well as other switches and such that need to be available to control everything. Even the X-55 has to have some things modded to get most of the functionality of what is actually used.

Now, I was looking at playing A-10C from the get-go, so I don't have as much knowledge of the F-15 module. When I just looked through the controls though, things seem a bit simpler. Looks like the only real thing you need to be able to slew around is your target designator, so you could map that to your hat on the stick. Then have another button to lock the target. Have a button for weapons fire and weapons release, as well as to switch to cannons on the stick. I'd say put counter measures buttons on the throttle. Things like landing gear and flaps can be on the keyboard, but I'd also put speed brakes on the throttle.

What I've been doing to get things feeling right, is loading up the instant action mission for the F-15 and assigning different commands and testing them.

I can't speak for the Su-27, but I have a HOTAS X that I use with it. Right now I mapped the throttle for, well the throttle as DCS will detect the rudder input by default as the throttle. I disable the rudder and just use z and x as sometimes I inadvertently twist the stick when turning, and rarely use rudder in flight. If you want to turn the nosewheel to steer you need to hold "s" by default while steering.

otherwise I use:

Throttle buttons -

5 - Beyond visual range mode

6 - Close cmbt vert scan mode

7 - Close combat bore mode

8 - longitudinal missile mode

9 - nav modes

Stick -

trigger - Fire cannon

Hat switch - slew radar cursor

2 - target lock

3 - weapon release (missiles)

4 - countermeasures.

I also like a curve of 12 on my pitch and roll axis

Edited by Mike5560

Hi bernek, I will try to explain how I setup mine and why. First, as Echo179 has said, the Hotas X doesn't have that many buttons, I have the A10C and this is a pain to deal with, but you can still fly without much problem, it's just not that comfortable.

For FC3 on the other hand it's perfectly fine, I won't go into specific keybinds but since FC3 has many aircraft it can get confusing too.

First, you have to think what do you need on your HOTAS. Things like the gear are used twice per flight, so you don't need to map them, you have to map all the controls that you find yourself using more often, unfortunately for this the best thing to do is to actually fly different missions and see what do you use more.

The next thing I have into account is survivability, there's things that can use a modifier and things that cannot, i.e countermeasures. Your life depends on them so it's better to have them on a single button press.

In FC3 there's more than one aircraft, things can get confusing so I like to keep my keybinds consistent between them. For example, the previously mentioned countermeasures would be mapped to the same buttons on all aircraft, to minimize the number of specific controls you have to remember. Other examples are: the trimm modifier key is the same on all, the modifier to slew the sensors (Shkval for the Su25, the radar on the Su27....) and so on

Hope this tips help, I can get into specific keybinds if you want them but I think it's better if you set them to your liking.

Hi bernek, I will try to explain how I setup mine and why. First, as Echo179 has said, the Hotas X doesn't have that many buttons, I have the A10C and this is a pain to deal with, but you can still fly without much problem, it's just not that comfortable.

For FC3 on the other hand it's perfectly fine, I won't go into specific keybinds but since FC3 has many aircraft it can get confusing too.

First, you have to think what do you need on your HOTAS. Things like the gear are used twice per flight, so you don't need to map them, you have to map all the controls that you find yourself using more often, unfortunately for this the best thing to do is to actually fly different missions and see what do you use more.

The next thing I have into account is survivability, there's things that can use a modifier and things that cannot, i.e countermeasures. Your life depends on them so it's better to have them on a single button press.

In FC3 there's more than one aircraft, things can get confusing so I like to keep my keybinds consistent between them. For example, the previously mentioned countermeasures would be mapped to the same buttons on all aircraft, to minimize the number of specific controls you have to remember. Other examples are: the trimm modifier key is the same on all, the modifier to slew the sensors (Shkval for the Su25, the radar on the Su27....) and so on

Hope this tips help, I can get into specific keybinds if you want them but I think it's better if you set them to your liking.

When you have time please share with me a command set. I can even tell you why I want to see it :) because I sadly dont know yet the essentials in targeting and combat. I can only fly for now civilian style and when a combat situation arrises I'm as good as dead ... the basic on flying taking off and landing I know but when it comes to radar and missles and combat settings I'm lost. I only know how to fire the cannon and honestly I'm missing shots 90% of the time.

So would be great if you can tell me more about combat and about the essentials (like radar usage missle lock etc and the keybinds that I really need to have)

You can share this with me only if you want and have the time for it !

Thanks in advance,

Bernek

Hi,

You described the situation most begin in. The way to learn the combat part is to set up some solo missions in the editor first, once you think you have that nailed then go online and work out what you don' have. BVR combat can be a little harsh for everyone, even experienced pilots, so have realistic expectations and keep practicing. Your study is a bit like modern university, you aren't spoonfed and need to learn how to teach yourself. But remember that this part is fun too so don't rush and set yourself little goals on the way!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

When you have time please share with me a command set. I can even tell you why I want to see it :) because I sadly dont know yet the essentials in targeting and combat. I can only fly for now civilian style and when a combat situation arrises I'm as good as dead ... the basic on flying taking off and landing I know but when it comes to radar and missles and combat settings I'm lost. I only know how to fire the cannon and honestly I'm missing shots 90% of the time.

So would be great if you can tell me more about combat and about the essentials (like radar usage missle lock etc and the keybinds that I really need to have)

You can share this with me only if you want and have the time for it !

Thanks in advance,

Bernek

First I'll say that I'm not a pro, but I'll share what I've learned while struggling to blow up things off the sky.

WARNING! Wall of text ahead.

Pikey has given you a great advice, give yourself little goals. In FC3 there's many roles and many aircraft, so if you try to do everything from the get go you'll get confused and frustrated. Focus first in one combat type, like CAS or Air to Air, and then progress with the rest as you start to feel confident. Also focus on one aircraft at a time to minimize the time learning new systems. Since I started flying the free Su 25T, I found that the Su 27/33 were the easiest to learn as I was already familiar with the HUD and some other systems. I will use the Su 27/33(they're almost the same) to show you my keybinds and also explain a bit about combat.

Before I start note that you don't need the POV buttons to look around so you have one extra free modifier button, as I don't currently have TrackIR.

Flight Controls: I have set button 7+POV to trim the aircraft, and I have this on all my aircraft, even the P51 and the A10C. I like to trimm the aircraft without taking my hands off from the controls, having it the same on all aircraft helps when you are in a tense situation, you don't wanna waste time thinking on your controls.

The landing gear and the flaps I have left them on the keyboard, as I don't use them that often.

I have set Button 7+Button 10 for the wheel brakes, again the same on all aircraft. This is for landing when you don't want to move the hand to the keyboard to brake.

I have set the airbrake to Button 7+ Button 3, I don't use it that often though.

You might have noticed a pattern, all my flight related controls are set to the same modifier key, button 7. This way I know that when I want to do something related to flying it's going to be Button 7+ something else.

Now Combat, including BVR controls.

I have set my countermeasures to Button 8 for Chaff and Button 10 for flares, no modifiers. The reason behind this is because your life depends on these, so I chose two buttons that I can press quickly at any time, with no modifiers to prevent mistakes. Flares are extremely important because they are used to defeat IR missiles that give no warning and are usually launched from short distances giving a short period of time to react. More on this later.

You will use your radar to track targets and engage in BVR combat, I have set Button 11 (it's on the base of the throttle, says SE) to turn it on/off, but the keyboard command should work just fine. you don't want the radar On all the time because it gives away your position, but you won't be turning it on off constantly either. Next to it, I have set Button 12 (ST) to Return to Search, this will deselect a target and return to search mode, allowing you to select another target.

Next is Select Scan or Track While Scan mode (TWS), Button 8 + 9. In scan mode the Radar will only show you the targets while on search and you have select one and press the lock on button to track it. On TWS mode selecting a target in search mode will begin tracking it, without the need to press the lock on button.

Radar Pulse Frequency mode, I have set this to Button 8 + 10. This is used to change the radar detection mode between High (HI) and Medium (MED). High frequency mode is used to detect targets flying head on to you, and Medium frequency mode to search for targets between side and tail on, not using the correct mode reduces your detection range.

I have set Button 8+POV to change the radar scan zone to both sides and up and Down, this is useful to keep your target on the radar while you maneuver.

Button 8+2 increases the scan zone, and Button 8+4 decreases it. This might not seem obvious, but I also have set my zoom view controls to another modifier + 2 and 4, so it works in a similar fashion where you "zoom" your radar.

As you see I used button 8 as my modifier for my radar controls, next is the target designator and target controls in general, I used Button 6 as a modifier for this.

Button 6+POV slews the target designator, this is used to select targets in the radar while on search mode. Button 6+ 2/4 decreases or increases the target designator size.

I have set target lock to Button 3(side of the joystick), without modifiers, also to avoid mistakes during combat.

That should cover everything you need to get your target, now weapon systems.

Weapon fire is set to Button 1, note that some aircraft have a different key for the gun and for weapon release (like the A10A) so you need another key for that, I would suggest button 2 without modifier also.

Button 2 for the Cannon, this only selects it, and Button 4 to change weapon.

I haven't done it yet, but I will set Button 5 as my HUD modifier, so Button 5+POV left/right will cycle through the different modes and up/down to select waypoints, or something like that.

That's all the controls I have for the Su33 , there's still room to add some more but that's what I use more often and should be a good guideline to create your own.

Now a couple of tips and tricks to help you learn all of this stuff.

You have to watch the combat employment tutorials. The only caveat FC3 has is the lack of interactive missions which is a big pain for newbies like us, it seems like the Su 27 update will come with some missions, but until then you'll have to watch those low res videos.

Next you will want to practice, start just learning to get the radar working and detect a target. To do so, go to quick mission, generate a mission without threats or allies, and then add manually in front of you at some distance a transport/recon aircraft, like the C130, hop in and try to start the radar, locate the C130 track it and blow it.

The next step is to setup something a bit more difficult, try adding 2 CAS planes like the A10 vs you and a wingman. These will be harder to kill and remember that they also have A2A missiles. When you feel like you are prepared, put some F16, you'll notice that they will also engage in BVR combat and shoot back at you.

Some quick tips for BVR and Air to Air combat in general (remember, I'm no expert), your missiles have limited fuel, this is extremely important so keep it in mind always:

-climbing consumes more energy, so shooting at targets higher than you will be more difficult.

-if you shoot from max range your missile wont have enough fuel to maneuver if your targets tries to evade.

-your speed also helps your missile reach further away.

-everything above remains true for the enemy, climbing, doing aggressive maneuvers or simply flying away forces the missile to burn more fuel.

-use chaff for radar guided missiles like those used in BVR in combination with maneuvering.

-if you go full defensive you will probably lose your own lock, a good tactic is to fire your missile and once the enemy has fired his, start flying to one side instead of continuing straight on, using your radar controls to keep your target on the scan zone while also climbing. This way the enemy missile will have to burn more fuel as you are not going towards it, but it also enables you to keep your own lock.

-after merging with the enemy don't bother with the radar, change the HUD mode and use the other A2A modes to get quick locks.

-Caution! IR Missiles give no warning when fired!!! I know it sucks but you have to actually see them coming and use flares and maneuvers to evade them. Your wingmans will warn you saying missile launch, but only if they see it too. Manpads (portable launchers carried by infantry) are specially dangerous, be very careful when flying low over infantry units.

Well, that's about it, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Razgriz1
  • Like 1

Razgriz1 It might be a "Wall of text". But it is good info. for those new to the Sim. Nice Job!

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Map Basic Axis and throttle, all the other buttons are just for ease of access,you get to those later. Pick a plane, Get a notepad make a Startup,Landing,Shutdown,ShortCuts. Pages. waht ever plane you want to learn how to fly, first learn from Startup,Flying and Handleing, THen work your way from Machineguns,Bombs and A2A rockets.

Make sure you,Youtube it,instead of reading Text. watch people start it up, and make a startup list for yourself.

Edited by Soulres

One can only add to Razgriz1 that beginners should look at DCS as an infant looks at adults trying to get moving. First you will roll over, then crawl along the floor, soon...pretty soon you can walk, it is not a firm walk but it WORKS... still a LONG WAY until you master the 110m hurdles or the 10.000m run.

DCS is, even if you have flown other state of the art combat sims before for many years, a very complex world of it's own.

Give yourself time and set yourself goals. Stick to 1 AC until you master it and then move on.

We all started rolling on the floor, no shame about that ;)

Bit

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

One can only add to Razgriz1 that beginners should look at DCS as an infant looks at adults trying to get moving. First you will roll over, then crawl along the floor, soon...pretty soon you can walk, it is not a firm walk but it WORKS... still a LONG WAY until you master the 110m hurdles or the 10.000m run.

DCS is, even if you have flown other state of the art combat sims before for many years, a very complex world of it's own.

Give yourself time and set yourself goals. Stick to 1 AC until you master it and then move on.

We all started rolling on the floor, no shame about that ;)

Bit

Thanks ! :)

• 3 weeks later...
First I'll say that I'm not a pro, but I'll share what I've learned while struggling to blow up things off the sky.

WARNING! Wall of text ahead.

Pikey has given you a great advice, give yourself little goals. In FC3 there's many roles and many aircraft, so if you try to do everything from the get go you'll get confused and frustrated. Focus first in one combat type, like CAS or Air to Air, and then progress with the rest as you start to feel confident. Also focus on one aircraft at a time to minimize the time learning new systems. Since I started flying the free Su 25T, I found that the Su 27/33 were the easiest to learn as I was already familiar with the HUD and some other systems. I will use the Su 27/33(they're almost the same) to show you my keybinds and also explain a bit about combat.

Before I start note that you don't need the POV buttons to look around so you have one extra free modifier button, as I don't currently have TrackIR.

Flight Controls: I have set button 7+POV to trim the aircraft, and I have this on all my aircraft, even the P51 and the A10C. I like to trimm the aircraft without taking my hands off from the controls, having it the same on all aircraft helps when you are in a tense situation, you don't wanna waste time thinking on your controls.

The landing gear and the flaps I have left them on the keyboard, as I don't use them that often.

I have set Button 7+Button 10 for the wheel brakes, again the same on all aircraft. This is for landing when you don't want to move the hand to the keyboard to brake.

I have set the airbrake to Button 7+ Button 3, I don't use it that often though.

You might have noticed a pattern, all my flight related controls are set to the same modifier key, button 7. This way I know that when I want to do something related to flying it's going to be Button 7+ something else.

Now Combat, including BVR controls.

I have set my countermeasures to Button 8 for Chaff and Button 10 for flares, no modifiers. The reason behind this is because your life depends on these, so I chose two buttons that I can press quickly at any time, with no modifiers to prevent mistakes. Flares are extremely important because they are used to defeat IR missiles that give no warning and are usually launched from short distances giving a short period of time to react. More on this later.

You will use your radar to track targets and engage in BVR combat, I have set Button 11 (it's on the base of the throttle, says SE) to turn it on/off, but the keyboard command should work just fine. you don't want the radar On all the time because it gives away your position, but you won't be turning it on off constantly either. Next to it, I have set Button 12 (ST) to Return to Search, this will deselect a target and return to search mode, allowing you to select another target.

Next is Select Scan or Track While Scan mode (TWS), Button 8 + 9. In scan mode the Radar will only show you the targets while on search and you have select one and press the lock on button to track it. On TWS mode selecting a target in search mode will begin tracking it, without the need to press the lock on button.

Radar Pulse Frequency mode, I have set this to Button 8 + 10. This is used to change the radar detection mode between High (HI) and Medium (MED). High frequency mode is used to detect targets flying head on to you, and Medium frequency mode to search for targets between side and tail on, not using the correct mode reduces your detection range.

I have set Button 8+POV to change the radar scan zone to both sides and up and Down, this is useful to keep your target on the radar while you maneuver.

Button 8+2 increases the scan zone, and Button 8+4 decreases it. This might not seem obvious, but I also have set my zoom view controls to another modifier + 2 and 4, so it works in a similar fashion where you "zoom" your radar.

As you see I used button 8 as my modifier for my radar controls, next is the target designator and target controls in general, I used Button 6 as a modifier for this.

Button 6+POV slews the target designator, this is used to select targets in the radar while on search mode. Button 6+ 2/4 decreases or increases the target designator size.

I have set target lock to Button 3(side of the joystick), without modifiers, also to avoid mistakes during combat.

That should cover everything you need to get your target, now weapon systems.

Weapon fire is set to Button 1, note that some aircraft have a different key for the gun and for weapon release (like the A10A) so you need another key for that, I would suggest button 2 without modifier also.

Button 2 for the Cannon, this only selects it, and Button 4 to change weapon.

I haven't done it yet, but I will set Button 5 as my HUD modifier, so Button 5+POV left/right will cycle through the different modes and up/down to select waypoints, or something like that.

That's all the controls I have for the Su33 , there's still room to add some more but that's what I use more often and should be a good guideline to create your own.

Now a couple of tips and tricks to help you learn all of this stuff.

You have to watch the combat employment tutorials. The only caveat FC3 has is the lack of interactive missions which is a big pain for newbies like us, it seems like the Su 27 update will come with some missions, but until then you'll have to watch those low res videos.

Next you will want to practice, start just learning to get the radar working and detect a target. To do so, go to quick mission, generate a mission without threats or allies, and then add manually in front of you at some distance a transport/recon aircraft, like the C130, hop in and try to start the radar, locate the C130 track it and blow it.

The next step is to setup something a bit more difficult, try adding 2 CAS planes like the A10 vs you and a wingman. These will be harder to kill and remember that they also have A2A missiles. When you feel like you are prepared, put some F16, you'll notice that they will also engage in BVR combat and shoot back at you.

Some quick tips for BVR and Air to Air combat in general (remember, I'm no expert), your missiles have limited fuel, this is extremely important so keep it in mind always:

-climbing consumes more energy, so shooting at targets higher than you will be more difficult.

-if you shoot from max range your missile wont have enough fuel to maneuver if your targets tries to evade.

-your speed also helps your missile reach further away.

-everything above remains true for the enemy, climbing, doing aggressive maneuvers or simply flying away forces the missile to burn more fuel.

-use chaff for radar guided missiles like those used in BVR in combination with maneuvering.

-if you go full defensive you will probably lose your own lock, a good tactic is to fire your missile and once the enemy has fired his, start flying to one side instead of continuing straight on, using your radar controls to keep your target on the scan zone while also climbing. This way the enemy missile will have to burn more fuel as you are not going towards it, but it also enables you to keep your own lock.

-after merging with the enemy don't bother with the radar, change the HUD mode and use the other A2A modes to get quick locks.

-Caution! IR Missiles give no warning when fired!!! I know it sucks but you have to actually see them coming and use flares and maneuvers to evade them. Your wingmans will warn you saying missile launch, but only if they see it too. Manpads (portable launchers carried by infantry) are specially dangerous, be very careful when flying low over infantry units.

Well, that's about it, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

You said that you use button 8 for chaffs and its also a modifier ?! it creates a conflict. and what about bvr radar switching ? I feel there are a lot of commands that arent used *including some joystick buttons* do you use the keyboard for all of those ?

Thanks

Yeah it's an error, button 9 for chaff.

What do you mean by BVR radar switching? If you mean changing the HUD mode, then yes, I simply press 2 on the keyboard, after that I can manage everything with the HOTAS, (turning the radar on, changing between TWS,RWS, the frequency.. ).

I use the keyboard for the landing gear, flaps, HUD mode mainly, and also any other thing that isn't very important. like turning the engines on and things like that. I don't feel like I need them on the HOTAS.

I'm now using trackIR but I still left the trimming as it was, don't want to trimm by accidentally pressing the POV hat, I'll probably map that to the most important combat sensor slew of the aircraft ( the maverick on the A10A for example)