Ka 32 koaxial rotor noise

Griffon26

Hey Pilots,

yesterday I was working in my room and far Away I heard a really loud Chopper flying toward my house. As an interested human in Aviation I went outside and saw this pretty stucky chopper with koaxial rotors and the two rudders at the tail flying over me maybe 1600 feet over my head. I am sure it was a KA 32 like this one with the same skin (Red/White).

Kamov_Ka-32.jpg

The curious was the noise of the rotors. I cant describe the loudness but im sure you needed to scream that the guy 10 metres away from you was able to understand what you have said.

Now I was thinking: If this chopper was built for military operations in the soviet union (ka 27)

why is this rotor so dammn loud. I mean the enemy wasnt damaged hearing or? Or was he after he heard this chopper? :D

Btw never saw/heard a chopper with koaxial before in real life. Is this normal?

For help and some education I would be really thankful

Regards and excuse the bad english pls :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.

was it sounding like at 7:00?

Edited by genbrien
Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

was it sounding like at 7:00?

Im sorry theres a failure of the video I cant watch it atm :( i hope I can tell you till tomorrow...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Video link is missing.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Rotors make loud slapping noise when the blades hit blade tip vortices. In single rotor choppers this can happen when doing hard maneuvers or descending at certain speed. In coaxial rotor the lower rotor is constantly hitting vortices from the upper blade. Eurocopter has designed a special blade tip that reduces this noise considerably but so far I don't know if any of their choppers actually use it.

• Like 1

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Just today I have seen a Mi-8 fire figting chopper dousing water over a fire. It is a very loud chopper too.

I see lots of helicopters, and of different types here where I live. Air ambulances, coast guard, forest fire fighting, forest fire observation, police, sightseeing helis of some hotels, sometimes even military when there is occational exercise around these parts. And then, there are other assorted civilian choppers.

For fire fighting, usually some large Russian choppers are used, so I have seen many coaxial Kamov's, as well as Mi-8/Mi-17 types. Kamovs indeed have a quite charecteristic sound and appearance. And they are loud alright :). But most large and / or powerful helis are very loud too. Mi-8/Mi-17 are also very loud, I have seen AS-532 Cougars, very loud too, Blackhawk / Seahawk models : very loud again (not sure but Seahawks sounded louder, may be they had more powerful engines), there is an AB-412 of coast guard which patrol vicinity of harbour (which happens to be the vicinity I live) and it is quite loud too. I have seen both Cobra and Super Cobra a few times, both VERY loud, and they were designed to take on enemies right on :).

Also may be worth to note is the fact that Ka-32 isn't quite designed to take on enemies, since it actually is civilian modification of Ka-25/27/28/29 series of military choppers, which are more intented as naval helicopters than directly take-on-enemy types. But even those types of helicopters from west/east alike are pretty loud things themselves.

Once when I was a boy, I recall seeing what I believe was either a Mi-6 or Mi-26. It was HUGE and sounded like a few armies of cavalry were thundering towards me, with some additional bass enhancement :P, I could swear that whole apartment was shaking when it passed right over it. Yup, it was awesome :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Alright guys thx for your help and storys!

Here in Germany, I live in a sleepy village, near lake konstanz, some Civillian Choppers and maybe 5 military chopper (CH-53) fly - if they can fly at all :doh: :megalol: - above my location in a year.

So I was a bit confused about the sound of the rotor noise.

But after your explanation I got a bit smarter :thumbup:

Many thanks to you guys out there where helicopters are that loud that they make the earth shake once in a while!

:D

Regards Griffon 26

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the other end of the sound scale, I once saw a German Army EC-135 land on the other side of a large road intersection for some kind of Bundeswehr-promotion. I was surprised that from less than 100 meters away, I could have talked to someone next to me without having to raise my voice, the chopper was that quiet during its landing.

Then again, there was a sightseeing Bell 206 flying over my house the other day and it was way louder than the Medical and Police EC-135 and EC-145 that I see all the time.

(On a side note, later that day I could fly in that Jet Ranger, it was amazing!)

There's a mediheli EC-135 in my area and I once happened to be at the airport when it took off. It was barely audible 500m away and completely inaudible at less than 1km away. I'm always astonished how quiet it is as I have previously only seen Mi-8s, Jet Rangers and such that are very loud. Even a tiny R44 makes lot more noise than EC-135.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

]

Now I was thinking: If this chopper was built for military operations in the soviet union (ka 27)

why is this rotor so dammn loud. I mean the enemy wasnt damaged hearing or? Or was he after he heard this chopper? :D

]

Regards and excuse the bad english pls :cry:

Well this Heli was designed as an ASW... I don't think noise in the middle of the ocean was a concern :D

Helicopters with more rotor blades are generally going to be quieter than those with fewer.

As long as we stay in the regime of single main rotor, agreed. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well this Heli was designed as an ASW... I don't think noise in the middle of the ocean was a concern :D

Yea thats true :D

I did not think so far :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]