NWS detent?

NeoHelios

Disclaimer:

Searched briefly for this, but found nothing, so please feel free to "RTFM" me or point me to a specific post.

Context:

While searching Google for "dcs difference between pac-1 and pac-2" I stumbled upon a document attachment in DCS forum post 77547 called "DCS A-10 Gun Information - Expanded.pdf" containing some alleged real-world details about the GAU-8. Therein, on page 3, I found an implication that the NWS button is capable of detents and short/long presses.

...In GUNS mode, the pilot designates a ground target with the depressible pipper or Maverick symbol and depresses the NWS button (nose wheel steering) to the first detent for less than 1/2 second. The designated target is displayed on the HUD by a target designator control (TDC) that tracks the designated target location. A second depression of the NWS button for less than 1/2 second removes the TDC...

Question:

Is this functionality supported in DCS A-10C, and if so, what are the specific long/short NWS functions as if they would be listed in the official flight manual, section starting at page 86 (Control Stick)? For example if the CHINA HAT table on p91 says CHINA HAT FWD LONG = "Slave all to SPI" then what *SHOULD* the NWS table on p88 say for multiple detents and LONG / SHORT?

Alternatively, are they merely describing the PRACTICAL BEHAVIOR of the established function already mentioned in the manual? ie. manual says "push this button to lase" versus this expanded PDF explains "lasing actually DOES blah..."

Bonus Question:

If this is NOT featured, is it moddable?

Thanks in advance!

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Viper :: F-14 Tomcat :: F-18 Hornet :: A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

vCG-1 callsign: Cloudy

While searching Google for "dcs difference between pac-1 and pac-2" I stumbled upon a document attachment in DCS forum post 77547 called "DCS A-10 Gun Information - Expanded.pdf" containing some alleged real-world details about the GAU-8. Therein, on page 3, I found an implication that the NWS button is capable of detents and short/long presses.

Just so we're on the same page, is this the post you're referring to: Enhanced A-10 Gun Information?

Is this functionality supported in DCS A-10C [...]

First time I'm hearing of this. I peeked at the document you provided and, while I'm not 100% sure, it does sound as if it is referring to the A-10A. According to the DCS A-10C manual, it's got to be referring to either the first major upgrade of the A-10A or the second one known as "Suite 2" because it references LASTE and EGI which were not built into the original A-10A.

However, the DCS A-10C is a much more modern version of the so called Suite 3. Among other things, the control stick was replaced by the unit that is used on the F-16. The Suite 3 A-10C features an entirely new HOTAS concept.

I'm next to certain that the document refers to an older version of the A-10A and said feature is therefore not modeled in DCS A-10C. No clue about the A-10A in Flaming Cliffs, but since you posted in the A-10C section of the forum, that's probably not what you were asking about anyways.

Finally, to quote the post you (probably) referred to:

I'll also point out that some of this information is deprecated, and it mostly pertains to the A-10A, as evidenced by some references to obsolete HOTAS commands.

In short: Nope, not modeled. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to look at and explain this, Yurgon. With the attention to detail the ED has shown, I figured as much, but secretly hoped that I might have stumbled upon some kind of creative / unintended use of a design feature. All very exciting, none-the-less, and I appreciate your attention.

-very best regards

• Like 1

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Viper :: F-14 Tomcat :: F-18 Hornet :: A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

vCG-1 callsign: Cloudy

Its quite obvious that this is from before the upgrade to the C. There's no mention of SPI or SOI and it doesn't mention DMS when discussing changing the Gun reticles.

Also you don't need to involve the TGP to use the TDC. All you need to do is make HUD SOI and you can slew the TDC around and it will ground stabilize on a point on the ground if its within 13nm. The TDC can be used to produce a SPI as well as create a Mark point.

The functionality mentioned in the bit you quoted is more or less achieved simply by slewing the TDC to a place. You will then see the point on the ground through the HUD tracked using the INS/GPS. This is pretty much the limit of what the quoted text described. It does say "designate target" but that seems pretty vague since I'm not sure what that ties into the system with. With respect to SPIs and Mark points, under the A's systems I know the former didn't exist but I'm not sure about the latter beyond the option to create one over the aircraft's current position.

Thats my interpretation. Info regarding the A-10C TDC can be found on page 365 of the manual.

EDIT. I forget if setting SPI with the Mav seeker and then slaving all to it would cause the TDC to snap to it. Also there is if I recall a way to designate SPIs from the gun pipper so I think perhaps you could replicate the placement of the TDC that way as well. Again TGP not required for this.

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.