Where is the nose of the A10C pointing?

Dudester22

Edit: Can someone tell me where on the HUD does it show me where my nose is pointing? I read in the Falcon sim it is marked by a cross in the HUD. I know the velocity vector shows my flight path, but I want to know what symbol in the HUD shows where the nose is pointing in the A10C. Thanks!

Edited by Dudester22

Now that you mention it... I always assumed that the depressable pipper (the dotted circle in the HUD with the dot in the middle) points straight down the aircraft's nose (if you don't change it manually by using the buttons on the UFC). But now I'm not completely sure....

@EricJ: He asked just for the direction the nose is pointing, not the true direction of flight I think.

EDIT: The thing on the top edge of the HUD in this picture: http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2011/12/full-3210-23127-hud.jpg

Edited by Aginor

EDIT2: post I was referring to was removed.

ahemm... yeah, but that's obviously NOT where the nose is pointing. When you are flying slowly you have a high AOA, so while you are flying straight ahead and your TVV points at the horizon your A-10 has its nose 15 degrees above the horizon.

EDIT: Actually I just tried it. When flying 450 knots with no loadout and minimum fuel the TVV approximately points to where the nose is pointing.

Edited by Aginor

@EricJ: He asked just for the direction the nose is pointing, not the true direction of flight I think.

EDIT: The thing on the top edge of the HUD in this picture: http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2011/12/full-3210-23127-hud.jpg

I did mean this, I know the velocity vector shows the flight path, but where on the HUD does it show me where the nose of the aircraft actually is pointed?

Ok, I just checked the flight manual (pages 363 and 364):

9. Depressible Pipper. The Depressible Pipper/Reticle is a dot at the center of a dashed circle. The circle consists of eight equally spaced dashes and gaps. Using the manual depression control on the UFC, the pipper can be positioned vertically from +10 to -300 mils with respect to the zero sight line, and it is fixed horizontally on the HUD center line and not wind-corrected.

The DEPR rocker switch on the UFC enables the depressible pipper/reticle to be manually depressed over a range of +10 to -300 mils referenced to Zero Sight Line (ZSL).

Individual, momentary depressions of the rocker switch move the applicable pipper up or down one milliradian.

The mil depression of the depressible pipper is displayed over the HUD displayed FOM values while adjusting the pipper and for 3 seconds afterward.

Zero Sight Line means straight ahead. So if that thing is set to zero (standard value) it points straight ahead. If I am not mistaken.

Ok, I just checked the flight manual (pages 363 and 364):

Zero Sight Line means straight ahead. So if that thing is set to zero (standard value) it points straight ahead. If I am not mistaken.

Now you got me confused. So is the Depressible Pipper when set to zero ((standard value) where the aircrafts nose is pointed?

That's my interpretation of what the manual says, yes. I am not a native English speaker though, so I might be wrong.

But it would seem logical, when standing on the runway it points at the horizon.

(actually slightly upward, that's because you are not sitting in the A-10's center but above it.)

Well it does look similar to where the cross in Falcon is, so I did wonder if that was it. However, if someone disagrees with this please let me know because I'm not entirely sure either.

the cross is gun bore line cross (longitudinal axis of gun). it is different from flight path marker (datum ┴)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Now you got me confused. So is the Depressible Pipper when set to zero ((standard value) where the aircrafts nose is pointed?

Zero sight line (ZSL) — A basic reference line extending through the fuselage of the A-10

parallel to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. All sight depressions are referenced from the ZSL.

Depressible Pipper. The Depressible Pipper/Reticle is a dot at the center of a dashed

circle. The circle consists of eight equally spaced dashes and gaps. Using the manual

depression control on the UFC, the pipper can be positioned vertically from +10 to -300

mils with respect to the zero sight line, and it is fixed horizontally on the HUD center line

and not wind-corrected.

and for the purposes of being thorough...

Gun Bore Line (GBL) Cross. This cross represents the longitudinal axis of the 30 mm

gun.

Rather than just interpret the truth, seems more accurate to simply quote it. :thumbup:

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.