Malfunction procedures ?

Extranajero

While waiting for the parts to build a new PC which can run DCS A10C properly I am doing 'ground school' like a good cadet pilot :)

There are plenty of tutorials about startup, landing and weapon\sensor employment but I haven't found anything on malfunctions or abnormal flight procedures yet.

I have the A-10A real world manual, but I don't want to overheat my limited brain capacity studying for things which don't happen in the sim or learn procedures for systems that aren't modelled.

So, what should I be learning about ?

Edit :- I'm an experienced sim pilot, from back when cutting edge graphics were 16 colour VGA :) - it's just A10C specific stuff I need to know

Edited by Extranajero

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Did you try DCS manual?

If you have ipad, search also for iWarthog HD app. It has all failures and corrective actions from the warning lights panels.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I just checked and of course it is available as a download from DCS without purchasing A10C ( which I haven't yet )

I am an idiot :D

Thanks Bill ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Well, there are quite a number of things that can wrong in the aircraft obviously.

Some of the things I would learn how to deal with would be:

Loss of a single engine: Loss of the right engine specifically is the worse of the two. You need to know how to milk her home without a lot of normal assets. I lost my right engine and IIRC the right engine is associated with a lot of systems because it runs the power for them. I believe I had lost EAC, CADC, and Autopilot as a result of some 23mm punching my engine. Very difficult flight home, for about 50 miles.

Fuel leaks: What do you do when you're leaking fuel? Turn on cross feed and disable the fill to whatever tank is leaking.

Fire: Look at the fire pull handles, which ever one are blinking pull them out. Then hit the "discharge" switch to the right, that will put your fires out. The engine will probably be gone, so you'll want to turn off fuel flow to that engine, set it to idle, and just run the motor. Another fire can spark up pretty easy if you take additional hits.

In flight start procedures for an engine: Rarely works, as most cases engine loss is a result of explosion or ground fire, but it won't hurt you to try. Set the engine to idle(0% throttle but not past the detent), Fuel flow to "override" for that engine, and then "ENG OPER" press it up to "IGN", which it will try to start the engine. If that fails, ensure to flip ENG OPER to "Motor" so that it isn't trying to produce thrust(in case of a fire), and just runs the motor to power systems.

Those are the major things I can think of off the top of my head. Everything else you might encounter will be easy for you to deal with as they come with experience and basic ability to fly the aircraft. If I'm missing anything on my procedures, feel free to chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

• Like 1

If you are seeking a wirteup that you can look into while flying then suggest you check out the 476th vFG;

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=29

There is a long chapter describing emergency procedures

Cheers

Hans

Get the iWarthog app it's great!

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming !

Look for iWarthog for iPads or search for warthog checklists etc on the store of you're choice... They usually have pretty decent. Failure sections / Checklists.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.