Close Combat Modes.

Zeus67

Great news Zeus.

One question,

With the PIP implementation and the last A/A radar modes, the "MAGIC search" button (nº2 on the picture of the stick in your post) will be enabled along with the "medium position of the throttle CCM selector (cannon/return to PCA/MAGIC)"?

Thanks!

Do not try to make the controls into a manual. Call it what is called and let the user learn what that means. E.g.

PIP Forward

PIP Aft

PIP Depress

Whatever the control is called in the manual make sure that the control label is exactly the same character to character, capitalization, punctuation and all. Your users will learn the airplane that you make. Trust them.

Keep it PIP , like in A10C , there is no function name only button name (chine forward , etc..)

This

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think these could work:

Special Modes FWD and Special Modes AFT.

After all the PIP also has AG functions.

I like these two.

They are more relevant as they fit for both air-to-air and air-to-ground and give a description of their sfunctionalit instead of naming them after their position and motions on the stick.

My two cents

The CCM is now updated. Thank you folks for your advice and opinions.

I believe that while naming the keybinds 'PIP xxxx' is correct, I feel that it is not convenient.

So the keybind names have changed as follow:

• Close Air Combat Mode SELECT : now is called Special Modes FWD.
  • Special Modes DESELECT : Entry deleted.
  • Ground Avoidance Mode SELECT : now is called Special Modes AFT.
  • Target Unlock : is now called Target Unlock/Special Modes Deselect.

I believe that Special Modes is more descriptive and easier to memorize than using the button name PIP, specially if you only skim the manual.

Any current keybind you have should not be affected by the name change, except for the deleted entry.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Okay Folks. I am coding the last modes for the radar and with it comes a reconfiguration of the Close Combat Mode, that includes the keyboard/joystick binding.

The CCM now officially works with Magic IIs (MAG), Super 530D (530) and guns (CAN).

PIP%20Button_zpsopnnuhiv.png

Button #5 in the Throttle is called PIP. When the system is in Air-to-Air mode, it controls the CCM radar modes.

It works as follow:

PIP - Forward (cycles):

1st. Click: Boresight Mode (Any weapon).

2nd. Click: Vertical Scan (MAG & CAN) / HUD Search (530).

PIP - Back (cycles):

1st. Click: Horizontal Scan Mode 1 (Any weapon).

2nd. Click: Horizontal Scan Mode 2 (Any weapon).

You already know how Horizontal Scan, Boresight and Vertical Scan work.

HUD Scan is a special mode that only works with the Super 530D. What it does is that the radar antenna covers the entire HUD area (a 20º cone) in front of the aircraft. In other words, it is a special boresight mode for the Super 530Ds.

Horizontal Scan Mode 1 and Mode 2 work the same. The only difference is that the radar in Mode 1 uses High PRF and in Mode 2 uses Medium PRF. As soon as a contact is locked, the radar automatically changes to High PRF. Medium PRF is not available anywhere else except on Horizontal Scan Mode 2.

PIP Down = Target Unlock.

The PIP button also has functionality when the system is in AG mode, but that is another issue that we will inform you in due time.

My problem, for which I need your help is this:

These keybinds are going to disappear from the HOTAS category:

• Close Air Combat Mode SELECT : will become PIP Forward.
  • Special Modes DESELECT : Not required anymore. Target unlock will deactivate CCM if there is no locked target.
  • Ground Avoidance Mode SELECT : will become PIP Back.

I need your help in finding what to call both PIP Forward and PIP Back.

Edited to add:

You mean stick, right?

Anyway, it sounds great!! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

The CCM is now updated. Thank you folks for your advice and opinions.

I believe that while naming the keybinds 'PIP xxxx' is correct, I feel that it is not convenient.

So the keybind names have changed as follow:

• Close Air Combat Mode SELECT : now is called Special Modes FWD.
  • Special Modes DESELECT : Entry deleted.
  • Ground Avoidance Mode SELECT : now is called Special Modes AFT.
  • Target Unlock : is now called Target Unlock/Special Modes Deselect.

I believe that Special Modes is more descriptive and easier to memorize than using the button name PIP, specially if you only skim the manual.

Any current keybind you have should not be affected by the name change, except for the deleted entry.

"CCM is not updated" are you talking here about the naming in your internal build, or will have it in the next patch? today if we there is one.

"CCM is not updated" are you talking here about the naming in your internal build, or will have it in the next patch? today if we there is one.

Internal build.. he also already said that we won't have any change for the Mirage today (Friday DCS update), we must wait the next Friday (June 3rd).

Question regarding CCM in general ... the vertical scan and the horizontal scan modes - are they relative to the aircraft or relative to the horizon?

For example, if I turn in on an enemy, banking almost 90 deg. - if I use vertical scan, the HUD cue is now about parallel to the horizon. Is that what the radar beam is now covering? Or is the radar beam, due to some sort of roll stabilization, still vertical/perpendicular in regards to the horizon?

Vertical is relative to the aircraft. It's the mode of choice during dog fight, this is why it's only available with AA gun & Magic II.

Horizontal scan is stabilized/ horizon. It seems to be a better option when going down to chase low flying attack aircrafts.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Question regarding CCM in general ... the vertical scan and the horizontal scan modes - are they relative to the aircraft or relative to the horizon?

For example, if I turn in on an enemy, banking almost 90 deg. - if I use vertical scan, the HUD cue is now about parallel to the horizon. Is that what the radar beam is now covering? Or is the radar beam, due to some sort of roll stabilization, still vertical/perpendicular in regards to the horizon?

The only mode that has stabilization is the horizontal scan mode. It is stabilized on roll not on pitch.

The other modes: Boresight, Vertical Scan and the new one HUD Scan are not stabilized.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Well, it is not clear that it is called onlyCCM for all modes it could be CCM for guns and magics and a special mode for 530d

Since HUD scan is only available for ranges up to 10 nmiles, then it is close combat.

• 4 weeks later...

One mounth later is probably a bit late, but if i can give my opinion, it would be better to add some precises informations like this:

Radar Special Modes FWD (CCM Modes Cycle)

Radar Special Modes AFT (BA2/BAH Modes Cycle)

Or

Special Modes FWD (CCM Modes Cycle)

Special Modes AFT (BA2/BAH Modes Cycle)

It's a bit longer, but when you don't exactly know what is "Special Modes", this is a bit confusing "Hu, special modes, ok, modes of what, for what ?"... but if you see "CCM, BA2, BAH" you think "Hu, interesting, i will look into the manual for these esoteric terms"... and after, you exactly know what to bind for what purpose.

Academically, a bind key should describe what it does, not what "button" or "switch" it represents in a virtual cockpit except where there is no other option (ex: INS num pad "1" button)... If the switch or button's name make sens, it's ok, but here, "special modes forward" and "special modes backward", that do not make sens about what that does...

Edited by sedenion

I still think the best option would be calling it "PIP forward" and "PIP aft", exactly how the A-10C module does with HOTAS switches lke the China Hat.

Well, in that case, i recommand to directly coppy the A-10's module logic, staying pure "button descriptive":

HOTAS PIP Switch Forward

HOTAS PIP Switch Aft

Then, report the precise button name in the manual with clear linking... but in this case, this should be a standard, and all buttons should be named... No more "Magic II select", but a "HOTAS Weapon Rocker Left" instead, for example...

Well, in that case, i recommand to directly coppy the A-10's module logic, staying pure "button descriptive":

HOTAS PIP Switch Forward

HOTAS PIP Switch Aft

Then, report the precise button name in the manual with clear linking... but in this case, this should be a standard, and all buttons should be named... No more "Magic II select", but a "HOTAS Weapon Rocker Left" instead, for example...

Yes, that's how I'd do it. The dev's paradigm is fine too though, the most important thing is consistency.

That PIP button on the stick has multiple function.

In AA: Forward and Aft cycle through CCM mode. And the modes are not exactly the same depending on selected weapon.

"PIP press" break the radar lock or exit CCM.

In AG Forward goes into attack mode, Aft return to Nav mode (but keep weapons selected and delivery options in memory).

This is way too long to put everything in key description, so you one will have to read the manual, like with A-10C.

On contrary Magic and AA gun selection on throttle are "override" mode, and they have no other function whatever the current mode.

So it makes perfect sense to call them "Magic select", "AA Gun select" or something like that.

In the end, fortunately the M-2000C is way more simple than A-10C HOTAS. :book:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi