What am doing wrong?

npole

I know I'm doing MANY things wrong.. but I struggle to figure what I am doing with this missiles.. I'm unable to hit anything.

In this video I'm noob-testing the aircraft.. so please ignore all the crap i do in the whole video... but let's concentrate on two shoots, why those missiles goes for their own route?

23:20 .. it's a 530, did it missed because the bandit was too near and going straight to me?

18:00 how did it missed? A Magic at 4.5 miles with a solid target... (it goes straight past the target)..

[ame]

[/ame]

I know i'm doing something horrendously wrong... so please help. :D

You missed that last S 530D because you were in PID mode (TWS). I can tell you're in PID because I can see more than one contact on the VTB (most likely VTB was still in "PID").

You must be in PIC mode (STT) in order to guide the missile (from PID lock mode, lock a second time, make sure VTB displays "PIC").

I think the 530 at 18:00 missed for the same reason.

After 18:00, the Magic II missed because you didn't have a solid lock (the missile must have acquired the target first).

In future updates we should have Magic II seeker slaved to radar but for now you must put the target on boresight cross for the missile to lock (it makes a loud noise and a small circle appears on the target).

Nothing serious don't worry :thumbup:

P.S.: If you can't go in PIC, make sure pulse frequency is "PRF" as "BRF" or "ENT" won't allow you to go in PIC mode.

Edited by PiedDroit
oh that ugly typo

With the 530 you need to essentially press the lock button twice on the same target: once to get a TWS lock then a second time to get an STT lock once you are ready (i.e happy that there are no higher threat targets on your VTB that you might want to address first). If you fire a 530 in TWS it will not track your target. Also, if you activate RDO mode after you have selected a 530, it will automatically TWS lock the highest priority target. It is then up to you to STT lock that target before firing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

Thank you. Can you actually switch from PID to PIC by locking again the target within the circle in the HUD? So without using the TDC in the radar? I watched it on a tutorial.. unless I misunderstood it. So that was my mistake, I were pressing the LOCK button again once ready to fire, believing that I was switching to single target mode... while in fact I remained in PID mode. That was about the 530... but what about the 550 at 18:00? Shouldn't it have hit the target even if I was in PID mode .. since it's IR?

EDIT: about the PID to PIC.. maybe I figured it, I don't have to pay attention to anything, I can just push the lock button again when I'm ready and if there's a target in PID mode it will switch to PIC.. correct?

Edited by npole

but what about the 550 at 18:00? Shouldn't it have hit the target even if I was in PID mode .. since it's IR?

Magic currently only lock at the boresight cross at the top of the HUD, slaving the IR seeker to the radar lock is not currently implemented. So your missile was launched without a lock. You'll hear the seeker tone change when the Magic is locked, and there's also a HUD indication.

EDIT: about the PID to PIC.. maybe I figured it, I don't have to pay attention to anything, I can just push the lock button again when I'm ready and if there's a target in PID mode it will switch to PIC.. correct?

Not sure, I never use the RDO; I think it used to automatically lock in PIC but that changed recently. I was watching a stream and the guy mentioned it, and I think also said that just pressing lock again doesn't work. So, seems like you might need the cursor over the contact to go into PIC.

But, I'm pretty sure a lot of this is WIP still, and very subject to change.

Thank you. Can you actually switch from PID to PIC by locking again the target within the circle in the HUD? So without using the TDC in the radar? I watched it on a tutorial.. unless I misunderstood it. So that was my mistake, I were pressing the LOCK button again once ready to fire, believing that I was switching to single target mode... while in fact I remained in PID mode. That was about the 530... but what about the 550 at 18:00? Shouldn't it have hit the target even if I was in PID mode .. since it's IR?

For PID to PIC, make sure you're in PRF (upper right in VTB).

I think you can't hard lock (PIC) when in ENT or BRF (pulse repetition, it's a 3 position switch on radar panel).

In the video I saw "ENT".

As far as I remember RDO was always doing soft lock. Maybe at some point it was hard lock but now it's soft lock (PID), which makes more sense IMO.

P.S.: For the Magic after 18:00,I already told you: your missile didn't have an IR lock on the target ;)

You know it's locked (IR) when you have the loud tone and a small circle on target.

The IR missile should lock when you put the target on the boresight (gun cross). In the future we'll have a "slave to radar" feature, it will make IR lock easier.

P. P. S. : Don't press that lock button too much, if you're in PIC, that will result in unlock. Very annoying, I asked RAZBAM to remove that. For the time being you must monitor your VTB. Don't ever press lock again once you obtained PIC!

Edited by PiedDroit

Ok now I understood, thank you. It was the ENT mode that was confusing me: even if the switch (left of pilot) is in HFR mode, when I press the button to return to "Return to normal Scan mode", the VTB shows ENT instead.

I don't know if that a normal behavior... probably I misinterpreted the command "Return to normal Scan mode" ... i believed it was used to exit the CAC mode (close combat mode), but apparently it's not.

Not sure, I never use the RDO; I think it used to automatically lock in PIC but that changed recently. I was watching a stream and the guy mentioned it, and I think also said that just pressing lock again doesn't work. So, seems like you might need the cursor over the contact to go into PIC.

I hope that's not the case.. I mean the system knows already about the target soft locked, there's no reason to move the cursor again above it, also it's not easy to manage with the TDC when you're basically already in combat... I will test later today, but looking at this video, the lock switches to PIC while the cursor is elsewhere, I'm not sure if the switching happened automatically or if the guy pressed the lock button again @ 0:35:

EDIT: oh!.. and he was in "ENT" as well.. now I'm even more confused.. lol. But maybe that video isn't true anymore since it come from last year.

Edited by npole

I confirm there a bug with "Special Modes Deselect" function (default key "D"), when you switch to close combat back to normal mode, the VTB shows "ENT", even if you have HBR selected.. unless this is the normal behavior for some reason.