Gadroc's A-10 Build

Gadroc

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you engrave through the paint without creating dust?

was the paint still wet when you engraved?

The paint was not wet to the touch but it probably was not fully dry. I put 4 coats on about 45 mins apart and then had about 2 hours to dry after last coat. There was some dust but not much.

I did pull the trigger on the upgraded controller for the laser cutter. The export for engrave was crash moshidraw and I'm tired of remembering to fiddling with the manual power control before each cut. New controller can do engrave and cut in one job as well as digitally control the laser power. New parts have shipped today... whee.

LOL. I knew that would be coming up ;P.

Yea I have a bunch of fixes about ready to go out the door. I delayed them to get BS2 working. This last past weekend I had earmarked time to work on BS2... but unfortunately my downloads where corrupted and I had to redownload which made me miss my "productive time" window.

I got the new controller set up and mostly calibrated now on the laser engraver. MUCH nicer but I still have to put it through it's paces for the CMSP panel I'm working on. I also finally got my key and access code to the workshop and have access to the shopbot so I'm working on the structure again as well. I'm going to change up from my earlier thread and switch to y2kiahs design and have an external skin. I'm already committing to a one aircraft set of panels might as well go all the way. Long live DCS A-10C :joystick:! I will be using my center panel design though for the EHSI/ADI.

The caution panel shown in this thread is up for sale $125 + shipping PM me if you want it. Included is all of the laser cut pieces, stands offs. I can add LEDs for an additional $25, but you'll have to supply your own LED controller. This panel is width accurate but does not comply to DZUS spacing or panel length standards (it's 5.75 and it should be 6 or 5.625 inches for spec.).

I will probably be doing limited runs of each panel as I complete them (5 or so each). I'm also considering doing group buys for the panel switches. Please let me know if you're interested.

I'm talking about group purchasing the high cost locking lever switches used on several panels. Mainly the CMPS and AHCP panels. These locking level switches are usually $70-$120 each when bought in small qty, but usually if you buy 10-24 at a time the cost can drop $20-$50 per switch.

For example the Honeywell 12TW1-50M switch used on the CMSP panel is $83 when bought each, but if I can get enough people to have over 10 ordered at the same time they drop to $51 each.

CMSP is underway

I've got the CMSP panel all cut and fitting together. Here is a quick photo with the display fitted in a running a test message.

6365653397_66325a4094_b.jpg

I still have to cut out the button and flanges. Then I'll have to glue paint and engrave them. I should have them done tomorrow. I also need to rig up a backlight testing board while I design the circuit board to drive this one.

The new controller board is awesome. I can now set speed and power for the engrave digitally so I can repeat the same settings easily. It also has much better origin control so I can make much more effective use of scrap material from previous cuts. I've very happy how the engrave and cut of the laser mark turned out on this panel, although in some spots the lines and lettering is "gunned up" but that's because I screwed in clean up.

I just grabbed one of these over at Microcenter. It's 16x2 which means it won't look quite right as there will be no space between the 4 character groups, but anything bigger won't fit. The better option is some OSRAMs or Avago small LED array displays. I was looking at four of these avagos and then another four of the smaller variant for the bottom row of text. That's about $200 for the display alone then. I decided to spend that money on switches first. I may comeback and redo this panel after more is done.

I will be interfacing with some of those avago's when I build my Altimeter as I'll use them instead of the mechanical digital altitude counters. You break the Skyrim habit yet ;)

you should be able to find some green or blue green gel to cove the display to give it an NVIS look to it.

http://www.stagespot.com/gel.html

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

You can use EL sheets or tape in the blue green to back light the panel.

It has several pluses it light evenly and has only on electrical connection instead of wiring 6 to 15 leds.

AFAIK it has been used very successfully in the F-16 community

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

I'm talking about group purchasing the high cost locking lever switches used on several panels. Mainly the CMPS and AHCP panels. These locking level switches are usually $70-$120 each when bought in small qty, but usually if you buy 10-24 at a time the cost can drop $20-$50 per switch.

For example the Honeywell 12TW1-50M switch used on the CMSP panel is $83 when bought each, but if I can get enough people to have over 10 ordered at the same time they drop to $51 each.

Hi Gadroc,

i like to update regarding to some Switches i got today in very good price (i think so)

i have ask the seller to keep some for me, so i will ask if some one like to buy those.

i will arrange to shipment for you.

please let me know who is interest.

the Switches comes in bulk of 25 /10 psc:

25 for the On/Off Honeywell - 8501k9

10 for the Off/(On) momentary

price for 1 switch is 10$

+ shipping + pp fee.

I will try to get 1 $ discount for lot of 25.

I know there are about 10 lots of Off/(On)

and about 5X25 lots of On/Off 25.

1784125031_2011-11-2017_06_20.thumb.jpg.538be1bd4a9b8eb236b5af41eb5bcc95.jpg

1639685741_2011-11-2017_08_07.thumb.jpg.780cf3339c98b0d605438630f5a26764.jpg

1134268646_2011-11-2017_05_52.thumb.jpg.6e5e0d348330a2952649f0c8bb8e20e9.jpg