Show me your breathtaking AG skills!

Wags

• ED Team

Fun video. I particularly liked the carrier curved approach to the landing.

For anyone displaying at Flying Legends, it is a requirement to be able to do it.

I am sure everyone is comfortable with the pilot's correct perspective view of a standard approach.

If you have kept the track file, it would be interesting for people to see the pilot's perspective of a curved approach.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Thankyou all very much

HI All.

Firstly I must say that your comments about my video are greatly appreciated and I am very humbled by your response's. When I make one of these video's, I really hope that people will like them ( but they are usually not fussed with them ), and in the end, as long as I am happy with the video, and I feel proud that I made a cool video...well then thats all good with me.

And if people actually like it....then to me, that is Gold.

But to recieve such nice compliments, especially when you refer to my landing technique. I feel a bit of a cheat, :(

My Real-World flying experience, is not even a blip on the radar in comparison to many of the members here, and I feel that I am almost one of the Least Experienced pilots here. If I have performed a good example of how to perform a maneuver....then I am sad to say it is not through years of flying experience that taught me that. It's just fantastic work by the developer's to allow me to have landed like that.

My Real-World flying experience is 10.5 hours instruction for a Private Pilots licence about 20 years ago. And my Girlfriend bought me a Scenic Flight for my Birthday about 3 years ago. I flew a Training Cessna 172 Skylane from Camden N.S.W Australia out Over and Through the Blue Mountains to the West of Sydney. It was a 90 minute flight that took us from Camden, Past The Three Sisters at Katoomba and on to my Home town that I grew up in.

I had never been able to take my girlfriend there before and we had a lot of fun for 10 minutes making "Pretend Straifing Runs" over my Home town and Pretending to spit out the window over the top of the Town. I didn't like that town :)

After talking to the instructor on the ground, he agree'd he would let me fly some of it. We took off, climbed to 2,000 feet and he handed me the controls through the whole flight, we flew low through canyons and all. You would think he was the passenger :)

And at the end of the flight he even let me line her up for the runway when we came back. We were only supposed to go for 1 hour, but because I flew most of it, he gave us 30 minutes for free. It was awesome, but definately no P-51. ;)

Thats where I have to confess. I have more flying hours making this video, than I have ever had in Real life. I flew around 200 hours of rehearsals to make this video. I killed ( I think ) around 2000 targets. There are only 16 in the mission :D I can't tell you the number of times I Crashed. :(

But I can tell you, I still can't get enough.

This is the RAW Track file with my Camera Moves. As-is, it was created in the Last BETA version of P-51D, but the video was made using Version 1.2.1.

Here and there, there are sections of this track file, where the camera's go below ground or some scene's may seem like they go too long. Also it starts in a different spot from where my video appears to Start. All that is due to editting.

About 95% of this Track file, is true to my video Online, the Other 5% was clipped out.

I felt I should mention that so anyone who is interested in watching the track file, can ascertain if the Track File is Playing Correctly for them, or if in fact they are not going to be able to use that Track file.

If you see Mistakes in camera Placement during this track file and it only lasts a second or 2, good chance they are ok because I too have those errors in camera placement on that track file and I have editted them out to make the video.

But of course, hitting any camera view will cancel mine and you are welcome to use it however you please.I am just flattered to have such interest in my Video and my flying and just so disappointed I was not ( yet ) able to display it with the Amazing Detail and beauty that I see

when I watch the Original video.

I have not touched this Track file at this stage because I am going to make that video again in the next couple of days and repost a better copy that closer represents how it looked on my system. So I am sorry it is the full 20 minutes.

You can see why I give all credit to everyone involved in developing these amazing Simulators. Where else could someone with the little amount of experience I have, pull off such an attractive video ?

Thanks everyone. I hope the Track File works out for you all. I've watched it about 2000 times while making this video and the graphics I see still astound me.

I hope to bring you more Much Higher Quality videos in the near future. 1 project down, infinate number to go....Gotta love DCS ;)

Attatched should be the Track file you mentioned JimMack. I hope this is useful and i am happy to help in any way I can.

Toad. :)

Maybe NewTubeF.trk

Oh nooo JimMack. I am sorry to hear that. I am not sure what I can do to fix that. That Track file was created when DCS P-51 was in the last stage of Beta and it was stored on my Hard Drive.

Since then I have switched to a Solid State Drive and when I went to open any replay created in the Beta, I saw that 95% of the Trees were not touching the ground and instantly remembered files don't always transfer well from a previous edition.

So I went to re-create the scene in Version 1.2.1 and found the trees still didn't look like they touched the ground.

So I switched back to trying a track file from the Beta ( in version 1.2.1 )and it just so happened that was the one I grabbed and it worked. It was the most intact replay I had, so I used it to make the video.

Right before uploading the file to this thread, I even went to verify in Version 1.2.1 that that was the right file and got carried away and watched it to the end. It was the file I used. Maybe if I let it play, then save it under another name, that may help ?

I was just heading to bed, but when I get up in about 3 hours now :( , I'll try saving it under a different name and try uploading that.

It play's 100% repetitively on my system. There were some misplaced camera's, but right now, it looks and plays exactly like it did on my system before I did a fresh install of windows, upgraded my RAM, Video Card and Upgared to an SSD. Maybe it was just a one off that that file did not upload properly . I would suspect that after my video didn't upload properly. :(

I'll try to get the new track file up as soon as I can. Sorry for any delay.

Hopefully this track file will work

Hi JimMack

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you with the track file.

I thought what I would do, would be to reset the camera right at the start and then leave it alone for the rest of the Replay. But unfortunately, each time I touched anything, it corrupted the track file.

So I just played it and when it finished, I saved it under a different name, and then closed DCS World. Then opened it again and selected to watch that Track file.

It plays identical to the track file I supplied before. Hopefully that doesn't mean this Track file will quit on you too :(

Anyway, if it does, I'm happy to do whatever I can to make it work out. But with any luck, this Track file "should" work for you.

Even though it does not Dull the shine on this Simulator 1 little bit, I would be over the Moon if there was a quick easy fix for the track files.

To be able to share your 1 of a kind moments with others is a really awesome feature.

Anyway. Thanks for your Patience and I hope this track file works out for you. If there is anything else, I am more than happy to help out at any time I can.

Toad.

P.S. I suspect my ISP could also have a hand in why that track file didn't work the first time. If this one doesn't work either, I will call my ISP and just double check everything is ok.

Each time I run a speed test on my net, I find I have up to 10% packet loss at some times. I will just get them to check it out and make sure all settings are correct and try again. With any luck, the file below will be ok :D

Kickin Convoy's.trk

• ED Team

Hi Toad

Thank you for your efforts, but still have a problem. But please do no work on this, your video is enough!

However, I would be interested for you to fly a short mission that shows a curved approach to landing and create a video that shows the pilot's view.

There are many videos showing the pilot's correct perspective view of a standard long approach.

But not of the pilot's perspective of a curved (carrier) approach.

I think this would be of help to the community.

Regards

Jim

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Hi Jim,

I am sooo sorry these track files have not worked for you correctly :(

In fact, this evening I took my PC to my Girlfriends house to show her some stuff, and built up how good my replay looks in comparison to a video . And even though you cant tell by my Youtube upload, the video does look great.

So I played my copy that "Works" and it was corrupted after having changed the camera once, and not even saving over that file.

I do have a Backup of it, but it worries me a little to use it at the moment.

As for creating another video Depicting the same type of landing I did in the video, I would be honoured to give it a try.

If you like, I can make several versions of the same landing, and you can view them first privately, to check which one has the best depiction of what you are after. If you need me to change any of it, I am totally open to suggestion. I have been an aeroplane fanatic since before I could walk, but still I am nowhere near experienced enough to judge for myself, which is the most appropriate depiction of the approach you are after.

I just do what feels right at the time. But thanks to making that video, I have practiced that landing a lot. :) It shouldn't take me too long as long as the track files co-operate. I can film it live, but if I am at a zoom level that obliterates something you would like to highlight, let me know and I will sort it out for you. ;)

Thankyou for the opportunity.

EDIT: I meant to add too, once it is done, I will let you know, and you can tell me where you would like me to send the video file. :)

EDIT 01: I'm Sorry. It is late at night but everything DCS gets me excited and I get too focused to see what's right in front of me.

I meant to ask you too, by "Pilots Perspective" do you mean, the view I use, whilst landing in that manner ? Or are you after a video, that depicts a pilot, lining up the runway? eg. Multiple Camera view's of both heading and approach from the Pilots perspective? Or just the singular view I see when I land ?

If it's Multiple views from the pilots perspective, I might be able to convince my better half to let me get head tracking ( something I can blame on DCS for making me want it so much ;) For a smoother motion to track in the video.

But if its just what I see when i land, I should be able to have that for you in the next 24 hours :)

Content is your descretion. :D Glad to help.

Edited by Spasticatedtoad
Late at night and forgetting things Take 2 :(

• ED Team

Many thanks - just what you see when you land, assuming as you start your curve, you are looking at the area of the runway threshold.

Best regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

I am sooo sorry these track files have not worked for you correctly :(

In fact, this evening I took my PC to my Girlfriends house to show her some stuff, and built up how good my replay looks in comparison to a video . And even though you cant tell by my Youtube upload, the video does look great.

So I played my copy that "Works" and it was corrupted after having changed the camera once, and not even saving over that file.

I do have a Backup of it, but it worries me a little to use it at the moment.

As for creating another video Depicting the same type of landing I did in the video, I would be honoured to give it a try.

If you like, I can make several versions of the same landing, and you can view them first privately, to check which one has the best depiction of what you are after. If you need me to change any of it, I am totally open to suggestion. I have been an aeroplane fanatic since before I could walk, but still I am nowhere near experienced enough to judge for myself, which is the most appropriate depiction of the approach you are after.

I just do what feels right at the time. But thanks to making that video, I have practiced that landing a lot. :) It shouldn't take me too long as long as the track files co-operate. I can film it live, but if I am at a zoom level that obliterates something you would like to highlight, let me know and I will sort it out for you. ;)

Thankyou for the opportunity.

EDIT: I meant to add too, once it is done, I will let you know, and you can tell me where you would like me to send the video file. :)

EDIT 01: I'm Sorry. It is late at night but everything DCS gets me excited and I get too focused to see what's right in front of me.

I meant to ask you too, by "Pilots Perspective" do you mean, the view I use, whilst landing in that manner ? Or are you after a video, that depicts a pilot, lining up the runway? eg. Multiple Camera view's of both heading and approach from the Pilots perspective? Or just the singular view I see when I land ?

If it's Multiple views from the pilots perspective, I might be able to convince my better half to let me get head tracking ( something I can blame on DCS for making me want it so much ;) For a smoother motion to track in the video.

But if its just what I see when i land, I should be able to have that for you in the next 24 hours :)

Content is your descretion. :D Glad to help.

Not a problem Jim, I will do my best.

I am actually running some practice sessions right now at 4am. Gee you guy's can make some addictive Simulators :D

Seeing as I do not have head Tracking at this stage, it is hard for me to Track the Threshold of the runway from the cockpit while lining it up.

But from your reply I can represent that view a couple of different ways.

I'll render them up and you can take your pick. If neither of them are a match and you want something in the middle, sweet. No problems with me.

Feedback is always welcome.

Hi Jim. I just thought I would let you know there may be a slight delay in posting the videos. I think my Power Supply may be about to pack it in, because even though my componants in my PC are not being pushed to the limit, I am getting HUGE amounts of hitching and glitching and all types of things, no matter what level I have my graphics on. :(

I do have another Power Supply that I can put in it tomorrow and just make sure that is correct.

BUT....I think i do have a video that I think shows the types of view you were after for a Curved Carrier Approach. I'm a little worried about Uploading it at this stage because it means leaving my PC on while I go to bed. :(

So I am hoping to get up early in the morning, change out the power supply and check to see if it was the cause. If not, then the videos may a be a little hitchy for reasons unknown to me.

But if it's back to smooth as silk like it was 2 weeks ago, then I will reshoot the whole scene and have it ready to go in no time. Today I practiced and performed that landing around 50 times. I shouldn't have too much trouble making it again if I have to. :D

Thanks to making this video, I can now land the Mustang Smoothly ( almost ) on demand as opposed to being able to land smoothly by accident. :D

Sorry for the delay. I did not forsee this little hold-up. :(