E6b navigation

dooom

Anyone attempt this with our map and the p51?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I am currently trying to learn my TSD computer. I can't takeoff and start using it at the same time. I have to circulate around the takeoff field, adjust my speed and altitude first, then start going about my destination. If anyone cares to explain how, please do! I welcome it! Is the E6-B the same as TSD? I have one TSD with landing vectors back (the one with down/upwind/final) with runway.

Nonetheless, this is how we, the 51 lovers, navigate, and not use that kneeboard map inside the sim for max realism... Problem is, I've memorized about 5% of the entire Georgian area..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

CR-3 is easier, have more features and wind side is way better and smaller, just in case you still have to learn it. Anyway, E6B or CR-3 itself doesn't navigate for you, just make easier the same calculations you can make with a pen and paper.

You can't start calculate in flight, you get your rule in flight just in case you have to make some adjustment, but you can't fly and use the rule the same time. Calculations are made always before flying, like previous mate showed with your plotter and map, calculate headings, distances, ETA to chosen WP, wind and true heading to WP, always choose clearly WP with some kind of reference point, it's stupid in RL choose a WP in the middle of nothing because you can't possibly know if you're there yet or not. Using kneeboard map is not any problem, I put the map in my kneeboard many times (in RL), others I keep it in my hand.

TSD, well I haven't use any, what it shows is basically same you can see in a CR-3 or E6B, just Navigation Computers can make thousands of calculations not only TSD.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

You can't start calculate in flight, you get your rule in flight just in case you have to make some adjustment, but you can't fly and use the rule the same time. Calculations are made always before flying, like previous mate showed with your plotter and map, calculate headings, distances, ETA to chosen WP, wind and true heading to WP, always choose clearly WP with some kind of reference point, it's stupid in RL choose a WP in the middle of nothing because you can't possibly now if you're there yet or not. Using kneeboard map is not any problem, I put the map in my kneeboard many times (in RL), others I keep it in my hand.

Kockeywash. It is extremely simple to use the E6B in conjunction with in flight weather services. Especially in technically advanced aircraft with FMS that literally give you things like TAS, GS, WCA, etc. Actually, it has saved my butt a couple of times. You should still have your flight planning info with you, so it's not like you have to go back and plan everything over again.

The different rules for bearing change have their place for efficiency, but they are also useful for different things, while the E6B remains a mainstay for course and bearing calculations as well as the many other functions that it can serve in a non-technically advanced aircraft that does not calculate TAS or density altitude in an onboard mission computer (The P-51D is a good example of this). It should go without saying though, that even though the E6B is a quick and effective tool, one should not be reverse engineering crosswind components in the pattern. By that time, you either got it right, or will figure it out the hard way. Attempting to use the E6B at that time would at best be a distraction, and at worst a funeral.

Also yes a thousand times to kneeboards. Along with electronic flight bags, kneeboards are an unbelievably convenient place to store things like approach plates and folded sectional charts. Some even have a handy E6B pocket. Yeah, that would be a fun mod. Someone make ForeFlight for the P-51D. :)

Let me tell you about how once upon a time I was a student pilot. If I had some of the times I was trying to futz around with an open map in a cramped cockpit on video, I would probably fall over laughing. I also occasionally cry every time I realize that I had become dependent on electronic flight planning during flight school. A manual E6B is actually somewhat faster to work with than an electronic one. Plus it doesn't need batteries like my electronic one (although I must admit, new technology has made my life pretty easy compared to back then. Some of the apps I have on my phone are actually somewhat handy. Obviously I don't have my phone out in flight, well, unless my flashlight runs out of batteries. The screen on those phones is actually not a bad light source in a pinch.).

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

actually - a pop up E6B mod would be kinda cool now that you mention it.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 1 year later...

or even functioning detrola... now that RSBN is included with the 21.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Preflight planning maybe with the whiz wheel, but don't nuke it.

Edited by f86enthusiast

Aggressiveness was a fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before you started shooting.

— Captain David McCampbell, USN, leading U.S. Navy ace in WWII

If you guys want a really authentic way the carrier based WW2 fighters did navigation/plotting check out this:

They had a drawer the fighter pilot could pull out and work on his plot on this board while flying.

The crews of carrier-based aircraft had to keep track of their own position as well as that of their aircraft carrier. This type of plotting board allowed them to track the movements of each and plot a return course.

Aircraft plotting board MARK 3A is the model I have.

Mark%203a.jpg

To learn to use Old School navigation and the Mark 3 I purchased these books:

(sure there are more modern ways)

(Navy) Air Navigation a Five book set -

Air Navigation - Part One: Introduction to Earth

Air Navigation - Part Two: Introduction to Navigation

Air Navigation - Part Three: Dead Reckoning & Lines of Position

Air Navigation: Part Four - Navigation Instruments

Air Navigation: Part Five - Relative Movement

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

kneeboards are an unbelievably convenient place to store things like approach plates and folded sectional charts.

We need in cockpit reference to the checklist, too.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

• 3 weeks later...
If you guys want a really authentic way the carrier based WW2 fighters did navigation/plotting check out this:

They had a drawer the fighter pilot could pull out and work on his plot on this board while flying.

The crews of carrier-based aircraft had to keep track of their own position as well as that of their aircraft carrier. This type of plotting board allowed them to track the movements of each and plot a return course.

Aircraft plotting board MARK 3A is the model I have.

Mark%203a.jpg

To learn to use Old School navigation and the Mark 3 I purchased these books:

(sure there are more modern ways)

(Navy) Air Navigation a Five book set -

Air Navigation - Part One: Introduction to Earth

Air Navigation - Part Two: Introduction to Navigation

Air Navigation - Part Three: Dead Reckoning & Lines of Position

Air Navigation: Part Four - Navigation Instruments

Air Navigation: Part Five - Relative Movement

That doesn't look too old, is there someone replicating those now? Maybe templates found on the web? It's very cool! I'm Jealous.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

• 1 year later...

You want to talk about navigation. We used that in Il2 taking off of a carrier in the middle of an ocean. Taking out objective then had to fly back and find a moving carrier with no land in sight. It can be done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, lord... The E6B! It was a great piece of tool for its time, but I use ForeFlight in the RL now.

Skylake 6600K(4.5GHz) | EVGA GTX970 FTW | 16GB 2666 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z170A Krait | Windows 10 (64bit) | X52 Pro | TrackIR 5

Hawk T.1A | F-15C | F-86F | UH-1H | A-10C | P-51D | F-5E | M-2000C

USAF Pilot w/ T-6/T-38 Time

You want to talk about navigation. We used that in Il2 taking off of a carrier in the middle of an ocean. Taking out objective then had to fly back and find a moving carrier with no land in sight. It can be done.

Good lord the nostalgia. It was quite the sim experience.

But now, I'll never trade my INS in for it.

Oh, lord... The E6B! It was a great piece of tool for its time, but I use ForeFlight in the RL now.

Love ForeFlight, greatest app ever.

My Setup:

HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudders, Trackir 5, i Control w/ipad, powered by Alienware Aurora ALX i7 3930k oc 4.2, dual 980s, 16gb Ram.

Electronic E6B's were approved years back. My company gave us Surface 3's and Jeppesen Flight Deck Pro. I guess Foreflight is ok, but I wouldn't trade flight deck for anything. On top of the automatic chart and plate updates we're able to see our aircraft on the map and taxiway diagram, which is nice.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals