DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Really depends on time spent over red and how high over you went. This isn't CloD where your radiator pops when your needle goes beyond 120°.

On the real plane, the cooling systems had overpressure valves. If your coolant became too hot, the valve would release pressure in the form

of steam to prevent damage to the system. There's a certain amount of coolant loss that's acceptable without problems. But the more you

lose (aka, the longer time you spent over pressure) the higher the chance that the cooling becomes too little and your pistons start working

their way into the engine block to their ultimate snapping death. Second factor is turning and speed. Turning reduces the airflow into the radiator, speed dropping reduces airflow and therefore cooling.

The P51 can run the 3000/60 all day fine so long as cooling is sufficient (The setting will reduce engine lifetime though, hence the reason

there were suggested time limits to reduce overhaul).

So in your case KansasCS: Your cooling was probably good enough to keep the engine from dying outright but from what you describe, you probably

skirted the boundaries of what the engine can take. Also remember that in the game, you always get a factory fresh engine, so its abuse

tolerance always is high. Do what you did for 3-4 sorties and you prob won't return on the 5th.

Thank you for the nice answer!

Do you mean 5th sortie in one session or IRL?

And yes, I was in a high speed looping chase with the Dora, lag pursuiting to pick up more speed on my way down, hence more cooling.

Unbeknownst to me that was probably what kept the engine from quiting.

Since then I always go pack a bit on the rpm lever in the steep climb. Does that actually make a difference?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

And what is a good rule of thumb for 'good' cooling?

200 IAS and above?

Just asking because the 2700/46 setting is rather underpowered against fast German airframes.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

You really have to get into the habit of switching that on the fly as you need it. These days, I mostly leave the rad controls on auto (let the speed be the primary factor in cooling). I manually open them up more if I know I'll do heavy loads on the engine like aggressive zoom climbs towards a target. Then after such bursts of performance, I reduce to lower setting to let it cool off.

My procedure right now: Balls to the walls setting for whatever purpose you need... then level flight, still with the full power setting until you reach about 200 mphs, then reduce setting. Get the speed first to get your cooling effective, then deliberately reduce to cool off (it's more effective then trying to build up speed on a reduced setting and gets the engine cooled quicker). Then back to a sustained setting or power setting depending on situation.

Only exception: When I overdo the powerclimb and I notice that my control surfaces stop responding. That's a very dangerous situation for your engine as you'll take a long time to get level flight again, all the while shedding your speed and therefore your cooling. In such a situation, chop throttle and RPM, push rudder hard to get the plane to drop over one wing to regain authority over your plane. Even manually open the rads to full.

Edited by arglmauf

Only exception: When I overdo the powerclimb and I notice that my control surfaces stop responding. That's a very dangerous situation for your engine as you'll take a long time to get level flight again, all the while shedding your speed and therefore your cooling. In such a situation, chop throttle and RPM, push rudder hard to get the plane to drop over one wing to regain authority over your plane. Even manually open the rads to full.

Yep, learned that the hard way.

I realized that I was in a bad situation when it was already too late.

The engine didn't lock outright, but after throttling back, the engine slowly died and the prop windmilled.

• 3 weeks later...

When I fire the Rockets (RAlt+Space), why does the 'RX TO BE FIRED' dial spin around like crazy???

I am flying the Training - Solo Ground Attack mission. It has the mission set to Unlimited Ammo.

I set Rockets to AUTO, and set the 'RX TO BE FIRED' dial to 2. And when I fire, I have to hold the joystick button(or keys) down to fire the rockets. But then the dial spins like it's possessed by a demon. It just keeps going from 1 - 12 and around and around..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

The dial indicates the pylon number from which the next rocket will be fired. If you fire a single rocket the dial will indicate the next pylon. If you fire a whole salvo in auto it will spin until all rockets are empty or you release the trigger.

Since you're using unlimited ammo... it spins around and around :D

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I want to fire a salvo of just 4 rockets, and set it to 4. Does it go to 1, and then 2, and 3 and 4, and stop?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I want to fire a salvo of just 4 rockets, and set it to 4. Does it go to 1, and then 2, and 3 and 4, and stop?

No, you will start to fire with rocket No.4 and next will be 5, 6, 7... 10

Fire sequence is UP not down.

Counter always shows number of rocket which will be fire.

So, if you have 10 rockets and you want to fire only 4 of them, you must set number 7. Then you fire 4 rockets, No. 7, 8, 9 and 10.

After that, you must set counter back to 1 and fire rest of them.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Cool. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

P-51 Flight Model

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the details on the P-51 flight model and the performance charts they used to create them. I know DCS models almost every detail from landing gear moment changes to prop wash, but it would just be neat to see and read through a list of everything modeled.

I don't think sources are stated anywhere although it would be nice to know (and dangerous, as we usually misread sources to our convenience :lol:), but every working detail modelled is stated in the manual.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Hey Ala 13, I am Bravo from SAS. How are you old friend?
Hey Bravo, good to see you over here :thumbup:. How is it going? Are you flying some DCS? I don't fly as much as I would like, but this sim is frigging awesome :D.

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

<S> Ala 13, yes I have A-10C, P-51D, Bf-109K, FW-190D, F-86, and FC-3. Since Iv been here I dont fly IL2 1946, I love DCS. I have Open Alpha, 1.5, and Open Beta. I love it. Cant wait for the merge. I joined right at the perfect time.

I am doing fine, thanks, its good to see SAS friends here at DCS. Good to talk to you once again, Take care buddy.

Sorry to OP but Me and Ala 13 go way back.:)

MSI R9 280X 6GB x2 Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit/ X52 & CH Pedals/ MSI DS502 GAMING Headset

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, is there any way to change the ammo belt to use only tracer rounds? this question isn't only about the P-51, but about the F-86's .50 cal machine guns and the Huey miniguns. I would like to see only tracer rounds. I'm sure it's not possible through the game, through the mission editor as well (AFAIK), so can I do that through the .lua?

Edited by Vitormouraa

• 4 weeks later...

Right hand turns

Full power turn to the right... nose climbs above horizon, pitches up to the left and quickly stalls, even with full right rudder.

Ideas?

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

can propeller torque play some part?

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Idea no.1: save and post a track we can investigate, 'cause the description above is quite confusing.

Idea no.2: check all controllers for unwanted double assignments.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

While dogfight enemy levels his flight and turns on navigation lights. At this point his plane is shot badly, he's probably unable to fight or escape.

1)Is this how he's begging for mercy?

2)Is it very rude to finnish him anyway?

3)Is this behaviour in any way universal or is it just what AI does in P-51 training missions.

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S