can not start engine

No, it cannot be true, that priming does not work while not turning the engine/propeller, otherwise you could not start by that method, which you can. I did it just the other day.

Unless something has changed again in the latest 1.5.3 OB, You could prime any effin' number of seconds You wanted, from one to infinity, and then the engine would not start on the first try...

...unless You hit primer switch again while it was already turning, or unless You cranked it a few blades before doing anything else (case b) ).

Haven't flown the bird in either latest OB or latest 2.0.2, so I'll happily do some testing today.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I thought I read on a post here that the reason for rotating prop first before primer was to simulate the ground crew turning the blades before you crank. Not exactly perfect simulation but a try towards it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unless something has changed again in the latest 1.5.3 OB, You could prime any effin' number of seconds You wanted, from one to infinity, and then the engine would not start on the first try...

...unless You hit primer switch again while it was already turning, or unless You cranked it a few blades before doing anything else (case b) ).

Haven't flown the bird in either latest OB or latest 2.0.2, so I'll happily do some testing today.

I honestly don't remember how well priming before starting worked in 1.2, because I've been priming while starting since before 1.5 :smilewink:

While playing around with it yesterday I discovered something new. Try priming before hitting the starter, and after a few seconds of turning the engine, hit RUN on the fuel mixture. Very interesting :D.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I thought I read on a post here that the reason for rotating prop first before primer was to simulate the ground crew turning the blades before you crank. Not exactly perfect simulation but a try towards it.

I honestly don't know if the ground crews were actually turning the prop manually on the Merlin, but yes, the idea is to move the engine through at least one full cycle to lubricate all the baring surfaces without any operational stress, before starting. This greatly reduces the Wear-n-Tear™ on the bearings.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I found out you do not need to prime the engine anymore, just magnetos on before your turning over the engine and after 3-5 second set fuel to run and it fires up, i guess it should no be that "easy" to fire that thing up... they should look in to this

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]