AV-8B Harrier Plus DCS version

Prowler111

Lets face it if you want realism, most pilots don't go anywhere until they have air superiority, so what are you A2A guys going to do ? :)

This has always been an issue on open unorganised servers ..... the fast jet ego jockys do what they want and go after other fighters , and 95% of the time couldnt care less about the strike packages .

In an organised game , its amazing how their tactics are forced to change into what they should be doing in the first place .

The AV-8B could make a very usefull strike package companion , cuz it doesnt have the range or speed to go up against 27 , 33 and the like . Can carry AMRAAM (i think) and would be usefull in any attack oriented squad , imo .

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Germany during Reforger I had come across a RAF Harrier FARP that was utilizing an American Drive in Theater and they were short taking off and landing inside the fence. I have to say it was pretty cool.

I know we can import static objects so maybe you can have someone build a Soccer field and make it an Airport / FARP with in DCS?

As for strike aircraft vs. ATA pukes. I am there with you guys. I am just venting I guess because Ron is bringing out the AV-8 before the A-7D.

Again I look forward to fly with you guys and I am glad you have your bird on the way!

DCS World has plenty of soccer fields, keep your eyes open while flying over towns and you'll spot them.:thumbup: The devs will need to add or someone will have to add Harrier type FARPs when this addon is released.:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
DCS World has plenty of soccer fields, keep your eyes open while flying over towns and you'll spot them.:thumbup: The devs will need to add or someone will have to add Harrier type FARPs when this addon is released.:pilotfly:

I hope this is something that DCS can add for the harrier, if not maybe we could ask razbam / community to create a static object FARP for supporting the AV-8B

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
How big do you want it......

big enough for the short rolling take off :)

will have to find out some info :music_whistling:

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This has always been an issue on open unorganised servers ..... the fast jet ego jockys do what they want and go after other fighters , and 95% of the time couldnt care less about the strike packages .

In an organised game , its amazing how their tactics are forced to change into what they should be doing in the first place .

The AV-8B could make a very usefull strike package companion , cuz it doesnt have the range or speed to go up against 27 , 33 and the like . Can carry AMRAAM (i think) and would be usefull in any attack oriented squad , imo .

In an ideal, properly oriented theater of operations, the forward line should be a sort of living thing. (And I'm not suggesting that it's really possible to see this with DCS as it stands, but that's up to talented mission/campaign creators.) Integrated Air Defenses and a truly dynamic battlefield makes the concept of dispersed operation and forward operating bases a very tantalizing possibility. That's what a catchphrase-obsessed Pentagon spokesperson would call a "force multiplier." :D

• ED Team
Will do some concepts tomorrow.

sweet ! :thumbup:

found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOVL

STOVL is an acronym for short take off and vertical landing.

This is the ability of some aircraft to take off from a short runway or take off vertically if it does not have a very heavy payload and land vertically (i.e. with no runway). The formal NATO definition (since 1991) is:

A Short Take-Off and Vertical Landing aircraft (aéronef à décollage court et atterrissage vertical) is a fixed-wing aircraft capable of clearing a 15 m (50 ft) obstacle within 450 m (1,500 ft) of commencing take-off run, and capable of landing vertically.[1]

• ED Team

looks great to me :)

Not sure if its possible,

Would be nice if the parking areas could be surrounded by trees like in the cold war era.

edit:

harrier4.jpg

Edited by BIGNEWY

A rough concept thingy..

runway

260 x 15 metres

x4 parking

will add some ambient stuff later/

Although in the article I posted, the fob runway length was 260m, it was due to a shortage of matting. It was intended to be 400m long which makes a lot more sense for a heavily laden Harrier of that era. Maybe an Av-8B with more powerful engines might cope with 260m but you'd better get your approach right or you'd end up off the end much like Wg Cdr Peter Squire did (didn't hurt his career though).

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Gotta say I like where this is going -- we do need some more/different configurations of FARP bases.

I am trying to think of another world conflict in which AV-8Bs were used, and other than maybe the gulf war, I cannot think of any. And I'm really not that sure if they were used actively in the gulf war -- maybe they don't cope well with sand, so they kept them out on the ships.

Just wondering how the USMC uses their harriers IRL....

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Just wondering how the USMC uses their harriers IRL....

Well they are being used in Afghanistan in a close support role quite well at the moment

Try Gulf 1, Bosnia, Gulf 2 and Afghanistan.

edit

I will post more of the FARP renders in my 3d thread* as not to corrupt this thread (more then it needs be) that has no relation to RAZBAM.

*see sig.

Edited by joey45
disclaimer

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

No, Hawker Hunters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aden_Emergency

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45