Trim axis issue

Hi, hope you don't mind another question from a newbie like me.

I can't get my Saitek throttle quadrant lever to work properly as a trim wheel for the P51. I select "elevator trim" in the Axis menu, it sees the axis. But when moving the lever up, the trim wheel starts sliding continuously ALLLLLL the way up, and vice versa; so to stop the trim at any particular point I have to keep the lever perfectly in the center. It's incredibly awkward.

I just want to map it as a straight-forward axis where it stays at the position I place it in, like the throttle lever. How can I achieve this?

Did you check the 'Slider' check box, under Axis Tune?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, you are right and not so much to be done. The controller does not translate into 1:1 movement to the trimmers. No axis setting can really help for this matter. Only an high curvature level can help to a certain level but it has some drawbacks also.

My approach is by using some potentiometers having full turn available. They are linked to a Leo Bodnar joystick device (home made). Even so I have to apply very gentle touches.

If you ask me I would suggest you to use trimmers with keyboards inputs, and use your quadrant levers for flaps and propeller pitch

EDIT: I saw after that slider solve your issue. Maybe it was a bit different behavior than mine.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

@Abburo - use multi turn potentiometers, you get finer control than a single turn potentiometer. I have 3 of them (for use on all axis, elevator, rudder, and aileron), each 10 turns, attached to a Leo Bodnar BU0836A and they work great.

Only complaint I have is when playing IL2 1946 (I only use DCS so far for Helicopters) I have to turn a lot before I get any response, but that's the plane itself, not my controller because as soon as I move the potentiometer the dial/wheels in-game move.

Never flown the TF-51 in DCS enough to use them though, but I know they work the same because I checked them in the controls options menu.

@Abburo - use multi turn potentiometers, you get finer control than a single turn potentiometer. I have 3 of them (for use on all axis, elevator, rudder, and aileron), each 10 turns, attached to a Leo Bodnar BU0836A and they work great.

Only complaint I have is when playing IL2 1946 (I only use DCS so far for Helicopters) I have to turn a lot before I get any response, but that's the plane itself, not my controller because as soon as I move the potentiometer the dial/wheels in-game move.

Never flown the TF-51 in DCS enough to use them though, but I know they work the same because I checked them in the controls options menu.

Wouldn't an encoder work better, as then you could have the software (running on Arduino or bridge software on the PC) set to adjust the trim by x amount per click, with x set differently for DCS and IL2?

If the multi-turn pots are still better regardless though, please let me know which ones you're using, so that I can get some myself ;)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen