P-51D Instrument Panel for Android tables

I want to share my side project: simple instrument panel for Android devices that can present basic flying instruments - mainly focused for landing procedures.

If any interest for beta testing, app is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portman.panel

The sources available on github:

https://github.com/leonpo/instrument-panel

Regards

Leon

P.S

UH-1H version : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portman.panel.uh1h

panel.thumb.png.78c0cfdaf267b74952c3a144da639188.png

Edited by leonpo

Nice :)

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

It will be easy to do only for gauges but MFDs export will be challenging. I did not want to get into all these additional monitors and layouts stuff. Will check and update

Leon

My thoughts extacly ... it would beat using helios on an extra display with touch then using a simple android tablet .. keep up the good work keeping a close eye on this thread

P.S I cant get it to work on my tablet (crash) and on my galaxy SII the app works but no data is being send

Edited by WarthogSmurf

config.lua, export.lua and telemetry.lua

Leon

Config.lua ? It didnt mentoin this in the install description.

I changed the ip in the telemetry.lua where is states Android IP but it says host2 or "192.168.1.8" that is correct ?

I also run Tacview and TARS btw i hope that doenst interfere

it seems that your tablet does not support hardware acceleration. So i am getting exception for drawing clip. Regarding export from lua. Just make sure that dofile for latest telemetry.lua is the last line in export.lua. I do call original exports so it should work together with other apps.

Regarding IP, yes, 192.168.1.8 should be IP of the android device

Hope it helps,

Leon

Yeah works on the Asus Transformer now And the telemery.lua file works now too. I only had one bug which was strange. I started the app then the sim and it worked perfectly. i then tried to start the sim and had a "woops forogt app moment"-test .. the app didnt worked and i was like well okay proably the telemetry file cant find the app so shutsdown. So i restarted the app and then sim again and nothing worked anymore. So i restarted PC , app and then sim .. again nothing. i then rebooted the entire tablet , then app then sim and it worked again ... so somewhere the app at one point refuses to use the data stream being send over. other then that works fine and i will do some more testing when i moved to my new home somewhere next week. Also your gauge are a bit different then the sim gauges perhaps you could mimic them more because it is bit difficult if you expect the needle to be at your 9 oclock and your gauge shows it at 6 oclock. i hope you can do more feature like fuel gauges,and perhaps some button to press =)

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the app Leon, seems great.

Have not been able to make it work yet though, starts fine on my Nexus 7 but does not seem to receive data (gauges do not update at all). Tried with P-51 and UH-1, same result.

I double checked I did what is explained in the instructions and searched on the forum but could not make things work. I am running DCS 1.2.4 though, and maybe this could be the issue, should I use the paths and .lua files from your instructions, or has anything changed ?

export.lua and telemetry.lua are in C:\Users\$$$$$\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts and edited properly

Not sure if I have to set EnableExportScript = true in Config.lua or in Network.cfg or if it is not needed, tried the different possibilities but it did not help...

Any ideas guys?

Couple of directions:

1. please check if you can ping from PC to your android tablet to the same IP as you put in telemetry.lua

2. I did not change anything in default config.lua and network lua

3. can you please post your log file?

Leon

thanks for your reply Leon, not sure what happened last time but everything works fine today

just tried to ping, checked the .lua files for typos, launched the app and voila!

tried both P-51 and UH-1 telemetry files, no particular issue except gauges stop working when switching to an outside view and start working again when getting back in the cockpit... But I'm pretty sure you knew already...

thanks again for your great app, can't wait for the next versions! keep up the good work!

P.S. : I didn't change anything either in default config.lua/network.cfg

Couple of directions:

1. please check if you can ping from PC to your android tablet to the same IP as you put in telemetry.lua

2. I did not change anything in default config.lua and network lua

3. can you please post your log file?

Leon

Thanks for the feedback. In the outside view the simulator does not send any data.

Regarding ping, some time when android device on battery power, it puts wifi on sleep. Please make sure to have it connected to power

regards

leon

Could someone "slowly" walk through this for a NEWB to kindle stuff..

I plug in the kindle to USB..

I made folders as described..

I placed telemetry.lua and telemetryUH-1H.lua as well as Export.lua from DCS inside those folders.

I edited the "kindle" file telemetry.lua to add IP..

I put dofile( "C:\\Users\\[Fuby]\\Saved Games\\DCS\\Scripts\\telemetry.lua ") as last line in export.lua on kindle..

now at this point.. what should I do or what should happen? anything needed added within DCS itself?

How do I "Start the application" on the device even? lol

Directions I tried to follow..but lost something on the way..

Instructions:

1. Create directory $HOME\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\

2. Copy export.lua from C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts to $HOME\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\

3. Copy the above telemetry.lua file into $HOME\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\ directory.

4. Add the folowing line at the end in export.lua to:

dofile( "C:\\Users\\[username]\\Saved Games\\DCS\\Scripts\\telemetry.lua "). Please note using double slashes.

5. Change [username] to your user name

6. Edit telemetry.lua and change IP to Android table IP. You can check it in the android setting view for WiFi connection. Please try to ping your device from the command line

7. Start the application on the device

EDIT: OH WAIT... this does not work on a regular Kindle does it? What has to be done to the Kindle to make this work? I assume anything with android 4 ice cream sandwich (ICS) will work then.. I.E.. Samsung Galaxy 2 etc? I was thinking of getting one of those anyways..

Edited by Fuby