Operation Bactria (MP COOP 14), Afghanistan CAS

Hello all,

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I am continuing work of Operation Bactria v3.0 and I aim to release before Christmas!:thumbup: A lot has changed regarding DCS since the release of v1.0 a while ago, but now Op. Bactria is being made to be compatible with DCS: World v1.2.2 and up unlike v1.0 and 2.0 that were mainly intended for standalone DCS: A-10C. Version 3.0 will address some issues that have lingered since release as well as utilize some of the new mission editor features. As always, v3.0 will exist in a format compatible for single player. It's my goal that the Boar flight JTAC's will be fixed and not broken by future DCS World patches. Most importantly, however, there will be brand new content added to v3.0 in much greater magnitude than was introduced in v2.0. I am still busy with real life but v3.0 will be released in a few weeks. In the mean time, please let me know if there are any bugs that exist with v2.0.

Habu

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ya bro, make some "unit appear zones" trigger on "part of coalition in zone" instead of the flight leads.

What happened before was - I was hawg11, got empty ammo, went back to base, my buddy was on his own. He got a new task and saw nothing at the "seal team in danger, kill armor around it" task. They only showed up when I was kinda close.

Also - could you use SLmod for stuff like "we are winchester"? Because if we play the mission on a dedicated server we never see the "other" radio options.

All you have to do is -> install slmod, it's easy. Just put files into the folders and overwrite.

Then you have to make a lua script, it's easy. I have attached one to this post. All you have to do is - trigger once, time more 1, run script file. Done.

slmod_magicBactria.lua

Edited by Megagoth1702

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

• 2 weeks later...

After a few months we flew last night this excellent mission again with the latest 1.2.2 DCW World. Pig flight x4 A10C + 4 A10C added with the editor at the same Base. We had one problem with the triggers. The mission was opened and saved with mission editor to help with compatibility.

When we get to IP WP we where given coordinates to atack an insurgent camp. We found some tents and two bunkers at the coordinates but no enemy units (trigger fail?). We detroyed all tents and bunkers but recived no message of task completed an no other tasks where given when we flew back to IP point.

Thanks Habu for this grate mission. Waiting with enthusiasm for Operation Bactria 3.0 here.

One pilot RTB because an engine failure before reaching de Camp. I was the leader but maybe he was in the leaders A-10C and thus the trigger failure? If this is the case we will give operation bactria 2.0 another try.

Edited by JorgeIII

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Hi Jorge,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I opened up v2.0 in the editor with the recently updated DCS: World build and I was able to see that all units were present and properly loaded. This tasking has worked before in standalone DCS: A-10C as well as older builds of DCS: World, so i'm sure the triggers should be working properly.

It is likely that the problem may have been the additional four ship that you added with the editor. It is important that the added four ship for Pig Flight exist as part of the "UK" Coalition, otherwise they will not hear audio updates. Also, the added four ship will be unable to trigger any tasking, as only the flight lead for the original Pig flight can do so. I have realized this is not ideal and have already fixed this in Version 3.0 so anybody in the flight can activate tasking. Nonetheless, I will look into this possible issue. Version 3.0 will be released next month and is designed specifically with DCS: World compatibility in mind to prevent future problems. In the mean time, try the original Op. Bactria v2.0 again without the added four ship.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

It was my intent to release Op. Bactria v3.0 before Christmas, but unfortunately real life priorities prevented this from happening. Rest assured, however, that v3.0 is in the finalized stages for release. I have gone through the 100+ sound files in the mission to add a more realistic "radio pop" sound and have made a load of gameplay improvements and bug fixes. Most importantly, however, version 3.0 will add another four ship with additional tasking. Because I failed to release before Christmas, I hope to wet your appetite with a trailer video of one of the new taskings. Special thanks to Fluffer at UOAF for helping me with the voice acting scripts and for making this video, also thanks to Merlo from UOAF for testing this tasking:

Habu

Edited by Habu23
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome missions! Just finished a two how sortie and returned home with just a few lbs of gas. Anyway everything went ok except for my 3rd tasking as single player.

On my third tasking, I received commands to provide cover for a downed aircraft. But I heard two audio voice recording playing at the same time. I wasn't able to finish this mission but I was able to destroy half of the convoy and I run out of weapons to throw. My AI wingmen weren't good following my orders and two of them were downed.

Also in the last part, I lost comms with my wingman. I checked if he's hit or something but he's clean. He didn't even used any weapons. Kept on ordering him to engage but no joy that part.

But everything else was great! Cant wait for version 3.

thanks!

Hey Habu,

Looking forward to V3. I like this type of mission. After playing it a couple of times with 2 players this is what I've found:

- In some occasions there are just too many insurgent forces. For example: In the mission where you protect a crash site there are 8 * 3 units inbound. Besides the fact that this is not a realistic number for a Taliban style insurgent force you can't really do a second mission after competing that one. We want to fly a mission, refuel, and do another one.

- Make the tankers fly a little faster. I remember the airspeed was just above 160kts for Arco. The 220kts that you've set is groundspeed.

Hope it helps...

'Frett'

Habu23...

This mission is AMAZING ! It will provide many hours of god fun...THANK YOU !

I play the single player version.

I have only tried it a few times playing the default HAWG missions.

One little 'bug'...

Just like MAIN SAIL observed...The radio frequenzy for HAWG flight is set to

251.00 in the editor and the default when starting the mission is 225.00

It would be good if you could put the A10 flights radio frequenzies in the BRIEFING.

and some MINOR suggestions...

Last attempt i did i got the task to assist at the crashed helikopter-site...

- When i attacked the SECOND column off enemies (armoured) they dispersed and

remained stationary for a very long time (not posing any big threat to the crash-site)...

Maybe those could be set to DO NOT DISPERSE to force them to advance to the crash-site at full speed. I understand that the downside to this might be that they will be somewhat easier to destroy when traveling along the road in a column...An other suggestiom might be to split that column up in 2 GROUPS (traveling together in column formation along the road)...One GROUP set to DO NOT DISPERSE and the other to DISPERSE...This way some Veichles will spread out when hit and some will push on requering MORE HASTY destruction before they threaten the crash site...

- When i ordered my flight memebers to attack groundtargets some of them found targets from what i think was an other TASK...Suggestion...Maybe the enemy units (in singleplayer)

could be set to INVISIBLE from the start and only becoming VISIBLE once that TASK becomes the ACTIVE one...

Once again...these are only minor suggestions to a TOP RATE mission !

Thanks for making it !

Regards, Repsol

- When i ordered my flight memebers to attack groundtargets some of them found targets from what i think was an other TASK...Suggestion...Maybe the enemy units (in singleplayer)

could be set to INVISIBLE from the start and only becoming VISIBLE once that TASK becomes the ACTIVE one...

Another Alternative is to set your Target as SPI and send it via Datalink to your Flight-Members, then calling "Enage..." via UHF Radio. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My System-Specs @ SysProfile

Real Pilots need "No Mark". :D

Another Alternative is to set your Target as SPI and send it via Datalink to your Flight-Members, then calling "Enage..." via UHF Radio. ;)

That is true offcourse :)

but will this work with the radio option ENGAGE also and not only ENGAGE WITH (if i broadcast my SPI)...

I only play singleplayer and mostly with only 1 or two A10s so far so i have not really had any need to broadcast my SPI before...Things has worked fine anyway.

Hello Habu23...

One other thing you might consider adding to the single player version that atleast i find very useful...

On the TRIGGERS giving the player his tasking...please add a RADIO ITEM ADD with the

target coordinates...This way the player will not be in a rush to copy down the coordinates and risk of misstyping them or missing other parts of the message...Instead he/she just needs to open the F10 comms menu when they are ready to enter the coordinates into the CDU...Like this...

RADIO ITEM ADD......"Trg Coord: FJ 277159"

And once the tasking is complete...Add a RADIO ITEM REMOVE with the same text on the TRIGGER with the task completed message...(to keep the radio menu uncluttered).

Edited by repsol

Hello Habu23...

One other thing you might consider adding to the single player version that atleast i find very useful...

On the TRIGGERS giving the player his tasking...please add a RADIO ITEM ADD with the

target coordinates...This way the player will not be in a rush to copy down the coordinates and risk of misstyping them or missing other parts of the message...

That's a lot of work for a mission maker for a tiny tiny part of the players... You should either train copying coordinates fast OR just easy mode - pen and paper next to you when gaming. I do it since arma2 and never regret it. It's so useful to be able to write down stuff... :p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

That's a lot of work for a mission maker for a tiny tiny part of the players... You should either train copying coordinates fast OR just easy mode - pen and paper next to you when gaming. I do it since arma2 and never regret it. It's so useful to be able to write down stuff... :p

Yes...I to use pen and paper...but sometimes i feel that i might miss part of the message when i'm in a rush to copy the coordinates down (before they go away or i forgett them)...I might even get them wrong (not very often, i agree...but still)...

Adding the RADIO ITEM ADD and RADIO ITEM REMOVE is not really that much work...The triggers with the TASKING mess and TASKING COMPLETED mess already exist.

I understand that missions like THIS ONE is very complex though with many triggers and will require a fair bit of work to add this function.

My suggestion is in no way NECESSARY...just a suggestion for a minor 'improvement' :)

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. This information is very useful as I plan for release of a new version and I promise to act on most of this advice. When Op. Bactria was first created, it was designed for online virtual squadrons and planned events in mind. In this way, flights would be fully staffed (4 people in 4 ships, Hawg and Pig), (2 people in the 2 ship, Boar), etc., with everyone flying their own tasking depending on the flight. As such, it is nearly impossible to complete a full "Bactria sortie" in a 4 ship flight with two or less players. In this situation, the players will either have to reload or refuel given how much weaponry is used per tasking. Some taskings are very gun intensive, while others employ PGM's. In addition, some taskings can be completed with a single GBU while others require multiple gun runs. I also wanted to add two varieties of the same enemy: more organized forces that were seen in Afghanistan from 2001-2 and the contemporary insurgency. This is why at some times you may be asked to destroy lightly armored vehicles, and others to engage enemy foot-mobiles ambushing convoys.

For those that play single player, thanks for being so patient. Please think of Op. Bactria as a multiplayer mission that has been "ported' to single player. It was never designed as such and there will innately be bugs that I cannot foresee! In any event, I will try and fix as much as I can.

I am very much aware of the limitations of this design, though I would prefer to keep it because it does not prevent players from RTB'ing when they are winchester. They may not be able to complete all the tasking assigned to them, but this is true in real life. Hopefully in the next DCS patch, the "I am winchester, RTB" radio commands will work in multiplayer.

In this way, the mission is able to cater to organized virtual squadrons that support up to 14 players (Bactria v3.0) or small groups of individuals. The random nature of the mission was designed for maximum re-playability. In the latest version I have altered some aspects of the various taskings to improve gameplay. In my opinion, the new four ship tasking in v3.0 is hands down the best, most realistic tasking that exists in the mission. I can say with some confidence that this four ship will adequately suit the gameplay needs of a single player or a 2 person group (despite being a 4-ship) and will be exclusively focused on the contemporary Afghan insurgency. Version 3.0 will also add a "surprise' that I'm sure you all will enjoy for practical reasons. To be honest, I will not know the full extent of this "surprise" until I am completely finished with the mission! With the new patch coming out, I intend to release shortly after v1.2.3 comes out.

Habu

Edited by Habu23
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks like a really nice mission, I'm gonna try it out, I've been making some Afghanistan missions too but I was keeping it simple, with only infantry, JDAM on ammo caches and some JTACs. Since DCS World I've to make it again. :/

Edited by Madone

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Great news Habu! Looking foward to fly v3.0 with our squadron.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Habu 23

I just tried the PIG-flight in single player tonight...I think i found a small bug...Some of the vehicles at the startup location at the airfield gets in the way of the other (AI) A10s and prevent them from taxiing to the runway...No big problem though...just needed to move them out of the way a little in the editor...Thought i would let you know if you plan on releasing an further updated singleplayer version...

Also a question...

My first task was to destroy the two cave entrances...I could not find them ? I found the SA13 and the tent-camp amongst the trees but no cave entrances...What should i look for ?

Are they actual cave entrances or have you used some other unit/building to represent them...

Thanks/ Repsol

Hello, Habu 23

My first task was to destroy the two cave entrances...I could not find them ? I found the SA13 and the tent-camp amongst the trees but no cave entrances...What should i look for ?

Are they actual cave entrances or have you used some other unit/building to represent them...

Thanks/ Repsol

I'll be sure to fix the Pig flight taxiing problem for singleplayer. As for the cave entrances, I have heard from other people that they are having trouble with the tasking. To confirm I loaded the tasking and the bunker entrances are in fact there, but the thermal signature of the entrances has apparently been reduced over the course of the last patches. It used to be pretty easy to detect them, but now they are hidden very well on the upper treeline just above the camp. To fix this, I have moved the bunker entrances higher above the trees for Op. Bactria v3.0 so that they are easier to spot.

Development Update:

Op. Bactria v3.0 has been extensively tested and is almost ready to go. The limiting factor for release at the moment is the upcoming v1.2.3 patch. I want to insure that the mission is compatible with it and I hope to utilize some of the new mission editor functions in a few taskings. I also realized that two of Boar flights taskings are not completable due to the last patches breaking some of the JTAC functionality. I'm hoping that v1.2.3 will fix these issues as well.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello, Habu 23

Thanks, looking forward to V3 :pilotfly:

the thermal signature of the entrances has apparently been reduced over the course of the last patches. It used to be pretty easy to detect them, but now they are hidden very well

Yes...the thermal signature for all units seems to have been a bit reduced in one of the latest updates i think...but if i'm not mistaking the FLIR camera displays will be changed in the upcomming 1.2.3 patch.

Regarding those caves, I once joined a multiplayer server running Operation Bactria. Took off, joined up with someone who was already working on that tasking. He was trying to explain over the text chat where the cave entrances were and I just couldn't find them for the life of me. Well, he ended up crashing into the side of the mountain right next to them. That made them a lot easier to find!