Does anybody have some bombing tips?

domini99

Hi all, I'm trying some CCIP bombing with snakeeyes and mk20's, but I can't get them to hit.

I fly around 400 knots, in a 20/25 degrees dive like the manual states, pipper over target and release, but the bomb goes way far of the target.

It doesn't even get close.

Does anybody have some tips for me?

Make sure to keep your wings level... To do this I always drop two bombs at a time to make sure to keep the aircraft balanced.

I normally like to drop CCRP (Mk-82). Starting at Angels 15 I roll in lock the target and then about 6-7 thousand begin a slight pull out, around 10 degrees off my initial dive, and wait for the release queue (you must keep the wings level from this point to release). As soon as Bombs are off I aggressively pull out of the dive. Depending on the speed at release you may have to practice ... I normally place the lock slightly in front of the target because I have a tendency to hit long with this method.

Hi all, I'm trying some CCIP bombing with snakeeyes and mk20's, but I can't get them to hit.

I fly around 400 knots, in a 20/25 degrees dive like the manual states, pipper over target and release, but the bomb goes way far of the target.

It doesn't even get close.

Does anybody have some tips for me?

This might be caused by inaccurate altitude data.

Make sure radalt is ON and RA is selected on PCA.

TAS is even more accurate (uses radar) but I don't know if it's working atm.

Also try level flight delivery (go fast)

I would also like some advice on bombing.

With the MK-20 rockeyes armed, they never seem to detonate (Fuse setting problem? Advice wanted here..)

But when I am in CCIP mode, the bombs do not seem to be very accurate even if I am in a stabilized dive during release.

With CCRP mode the bombs just miss completely.

CCRP won't be accurate because you won't have good height data from radio altimeter. It's available under 5000'. Normally the FCR would be used but it's inop. It's OK to select radar though since it uses radio altimeter automatically if the radar isn't providing height. You can manually select "RS" to force its use but it's not strictly required. The important thing is that the radio altimeter value is working (not ****) and terrain below aircraft is representative of the target elevation. And you have to manually time the release with the HUD cue because the automatic system is inop.

Retarded weapons have a sharp change in flight character after release as the retarder deploys. The release parameters for accurate bombing are relatively narrow as a result.

I would also like some advice on bombing.

With the MK-20 rockeyes armed, they never seem to detonate (Fuse setting problem? Advice wanted here..)

But when I am in CCIP mode, the bombs do not seem to be very accurate even if I am in a stabilized dive during release.

With CCRP mode the bombs just miss completely.

With the mk20 just hitting the ground you need to be sure you have enough altitude for it to set properly.

The CCIP relies on the radar altimeter which points straight down. The altitude that is below you may differ from the one of your target, so the pipper may be off slightly.

In CCRP as soon as you press the trigger it drops the bomb. Make sure you drop it as the line passes the circle in the diamond on top of the hud. I believe that they are making it so that it is delayed until the line gets to the circle in the future.

War is easy and is just like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and the ground is on fire and you are on fire and you realise you are in hell :joystick:

With the mk20 just hitting the ground you need to be sure you have enough altitude for it to set properly.

In the 1.5.4 update all MK20 cluster bombs release their bomblets at about 2.5 seconds after launch. Provided that you have armed them before release of course. :smartass:

They no longer hit the ground as duds but create an explosion pattern.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Make sure to keep your wings level... To do this I always drop two bombs at a time to make sure to keep the aircraft balanced.

I normally like to drop CCRP (Mk-82). Starting at Angels 15 I roll in lock the target and then about 6-7 thousand begin a slight pull out, around 10 degrees off my initial dive, and wait for the release queue (you must keep the wings level from this point to release). As soon as Bombs are off I aggressively pull out of the dive. Depending on the speed at release you may have to practice ... I normally place the lock slightly in front of the target because I have a tendency to hit long with this method.

Okay thanks, I haven't tried CCRP that much yet and will try.

This might be caused by inaccurate altitude data.

Make sure radalt is ON and RA is selected on PCA.

TAS is even more accurate (uses radar) but I don't know if it's working atm.

Also try level flight delivery (go fast)

I use TAS all the time, but whenever I release a snakeeye the bomb just flies over the target, even though I am in a stable 20/25 degrees nosedive, ~400 knots and wings level.

For snakeeyes I prefer Mach 1 at 300ft. :D

Not the best example, but it got the job done. :)

Hahaha lol.

It worked though.

Another thing I found, is that I can't get the rocket pipper to appear when following Chuck's Guide, it just doesn't show up.

No, the bombs will fly over the targets no matter what.

They always miss

Pipper over target, release, and they miss.

It doesn't matter what I do.

I tried mach 1 level at 300 feet, I tried all kinds of different speeds in all kinds of different dive angles, when I release the bomb when the pipper is over the target the bomb misses and flies past the target by like 10 metres or so.

I am getting quite frustrated by this.

Are snakeeyes just this worthless bombs, or am I doing something incredibly wrong?

Hi domini99,

Please keep in mind that unguided bombs are not to be used for precise bombing like CAS.

These bombs are usually dropped on buildings and ground instalations.

It is normal though to have difficulties to hit a very precise point on the ground with these dumb bombs. I drop 2 or 4 Mk-82 at a time just to be sure I hit something.

Razbam still have to implement CCRP auto-release, which will increase the precision of your drops.

In the French Air Force, M-2000C usually drops GBU-12, GBU-16 or GBU-24 with a M-2000D buddylasing.

Cheers

In the 1.5.4 update all MK20 cluster bombs release their bomblets at about 2.5 seconds after launch. Provided that you have armed them before release of course. :smartass:

They no longer hit the ground as duds but create an explosion pattern.

is the slant range radar implemented or not yet? if I am not wrong this is one of the last things missing in A2G, if it is not the last, right?

Hi domini99,

Please keep in mind that unguided bombs are not to be used for precise bombing like CAS.

These bombs are usually dropped on buildings and ground instalations.

It is normal though to have difficulties to hit a very precise point on the ground with these dumb bombs. I drop 2 or 4 Mk-82 at a time just to be sure I hit something.

Razbam still have to implement CCRP auto-release, which will increase the precision of your drops.

In the French Air Force, M-2000C usually drops GBU-12, GBU-16 or GBU-24 with a M-2000D buddylasing.

Cheers

Buddylasing is a fun thing, but are the bombs so inaccurate that they literally always miss their target by tens of metres? Can't even hit warehouse with those things.

The rockets piper is pretty low in the HUD, but it comes into the view in a dive. Raising the seat also helps. :D

Okay will try in a steeper dive, right now I can't get it to show up at all.

I just updated to openbeta 1.5.4, on openbeta the rocket piper does show up!

They're indeed very accurate, but does anybody know how to just shoot 1 or 2 rockets at a time, and not half a rocket pod?

I'm gonna keep trying to bomb stuff, but for now I can't hit anything with then :s

Bombs just fly waaaay past the target.

They're indeed very accurate, but does anybody know how to just shoot 1 or 2 rockets at a time, and not half a rocket pod?

Two options; set the CAN/ROQ/S530 button to 'TOT' and press the trigger for only a short time (ref); or adjust the rocket burst length in the aircraft properties in the mission editor (ref).

While we are on air to ground stuff, what is up with my gunpipper? I can´t seem to get it to move, it stays boresighted.

I must have missed something, rockets work plenty fine, bombing works, but as soon as I try to gunrun I can´t get the gunpipper to predict an impact point. Not even an inaccurate one, it just stays boresighted.

Is it not implemented yet or am I missing a switch somewhere?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Rockets are working perfect like this, but I have to release bombs quite far before the target to make them hit.

Rockets I have to aim them a bit before the target as well.

Not sure if the balistics computer is just garbage or something is broken.

While we are on air to ground stuff, what is up with my gunpipper? I can´t seem to get it to move, it stays boresighted.

I must have missed something, rockets work plenty fine, bombing works, but as soon as I try to gunrun I can´t get the gunpipper to predict an impact point. Not even an inaccurate one, it just stays boresighted.

Is it not implemented yet or am I missing a switch somewhere?

Air-to-Ground gun pipper is still WIP.