Su-25's are made of Mythril.

Zilch

Having completed the Georgian Hammer campaign and enjoying it quite thoroughly, I decided to test out the Combined Arms version instead of letting the CA module waste away, unloved.

I ended up failing the first combat mission due to ordering my M2 platoon to move through guarded territory. Totally my fault. Next time I'll clear the path better.

In a fit of rage and self-hate, I decided to end the digital lives of every single enemy combatant, including three Su-25's that were parked or taxiing. What better way to humiliate them than strafing them on the ground?

So, I roll in with a full load of CM rounds and give all three planes a huge dose in one run. That didn't seem to do the trick, so I gave them a second strafing run...then a third and a fourth, until I ran out of CM. During the third run, I saw the pilots eject and figured I'd get credited with some kills.

Debriefing says otherwise...apparently, despite me ripping the units apart (at least visually) and seeing the pilots make full use of zero-zero ejection seats, I got no credit and the Su-25's were not listed as destroyed units.

Checking my hit count revealed that the Su-25's had taken hits from the following:

Su-25 #1

62 AP

31 HE

Su-25 #2

54 HE

1 AIM-9M (not my missile.)

Su-25 #3

42 HE

71 AP

1 AIM-120B (obviously not my shot, either.)

Screenshots of the results.

Now, I'm no munitions expert, and I know the Frogfoot is a pretty rugged plane, but damn.

I think these munitions would have easily killed any T-80 at the range I was at (between 0.5 and 0.3 nm,) but they failed to register a destroyed unit for the grounded Su-25's.

Still...fun as hell. Again, DCS is the best thing to happen to my brain since I started drinking coffee, so I'm not complaining. Instead, I post this as a suggestion: Until the DCS damage models have some adjustments, don't waste your precious GAU-8 ammo on grounded aircraft. It seems that although your gun may disable systems (including entire wings,) the actual kill may not register until the target aircraft impacts the ground. If the plane is already on the ground, you won't get the "gravity assist," and unless you use something explosive (Mavericks seem to work just fine,) don't bother attacking them.

Just an FYI!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

Heheh. Ya, for sure. My friend and I did a multiplayer once where we were just attacking some Chinooks with our Su-25Ts. One of the Chinooks managed to land at its airbase. My friend and I emptied all of our rocket and cannon rounds into it. It looked like hell but "lived".

This is why DCS MiG-21 comes with a nuke.

A temp fix for this could be triggers using the unit damage function.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Now, I'm no munitions expert, and I know the Frogfoot is a pretty rugged plane, but damn.

eq57ht.jpg

Yeah they do seem to be made of some strong stuff on the ground. The damage system is something that I've heard on the roadmap to be worked on, hopefully once they have the new graphics engine in place they will start tweaking the damage model. Until then you can try Exorcet's idea of the MiG-21 nuke, I can also confirm a solid kamakaze hit will do it as well.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Checked out your screenshots; 'tis but a scratch! :)

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Actually I messed one up. Of the four Su-25's in the mission, one actually did get shot down by F-18's. It's the one with the AIM-9 hit. The fourth one did get strafed to hell and back, as the in-game shot shows. Unfortunately I don't know the exact hit count, but I remember it being in the "way too many not to kill it seven times over" bracket.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Most aircraft kills are either full blown explosions from the larger A-A missiles hitting them or when it impacts the ground. This isn't really a problem, except when you're attacking aircraft on the ground. In that case 500 pounders are your best friend. 30mm guns, especially the A-10's do pretty good too.

I've been forced to eject in a SU-25T when hit by a single Igla S, though my wingman seems to think he's on American Gladiators; flying over the enemy edge of battle popping flares, dodging about 5 missiles and ejecting after being hit 3-4 times. I have no problem taking them out on the ground with a one second burst of CM starting at 1.0nm. Your results are unusual, but not totally surprising.

OPERATION FROGSTOMP

This is, hands down, the silliest "mission" I have ever flown in DCS.

I set up four Su-25's ready for takeoff at Kobuleti and tried to wreck them in my Hog.

In this amazing track due for blockbuster release this summer, you will see some crazy things. Su-25's taking 206 rounds from my GAU-9 before dying, another one stopping its taxi due to ejecting after hit by fragments from the first one I strafed, shooting AIM-9's at ground targets just to see what happens, hitting a Su-25 with 86 rounds of 30mm, six Mk-82's, an AIM-9, and an AGM-65 before finally giving up the ghost, and me landing on the target runway and running over an ejected Frogfoot driver with my nosewheel before parking next to the final, undying Sukhoi.

It was fun as hell. Maybe you folks will get some chuckles out of it.

2015-02-20_00006.thumb.jpg.a9a56bd531f3f6f65f7246659470fb62.jpg

2015-02-20_00008.thumb.jpg.4268f6c26e9799782141aa5668a8015e.jpg

2015-02-20_00009.thumb.jpg.363b1f5725f8b61b337dc038e5728c8c.jpg

2015-02-20_00010.thumb.jpg.cda67957f0739ae84061ab56eeef8dc1.jpg

2015-02-20_00011.thumb.jpg.b6f8c0435cec0aebfb5b765e3342b747.jpg

2015-02-20_00004.thumb.jpg.798a319e2b91d3ac63adb37eae292bb1.jpg

Operation Frogstomp.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I usually drop AIRs on them. Works most of the time.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.