New guy

LYeah101

Looking for some guys that might want to help a new guy learn some of the ins and outs of DCS:helpsmilie:

Join the club my friend, welcome to the forums. Huge amount of information available and the guys/galls are spot on. Most will be here to help you, but try and do a search on the forums first so that it's not the same old questions. That can earn a rubber ear. You want to fly or build cockpit, head down to the forum headers. We don't bite. :thumbup:

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

It would be safe to train offline before jumping on a public server, you won't be long welcome if you wreck their runways ;)

Start with the in-game training, they are pretty well done.

After that I'm sure you'll have plenty of questions you can ask on this forum.

Repeat until you are comfortable taxiing, taking off and bringing back your aircraft everytime.

Then you can jump on a public server and have some fun.

There is also a lot of missions floating around you can use to train and discover the beast.

Looking for some guys that might want to help a new guy learn some of the ins and outs of DCS:helpsmilie:

In what time zone do you reside?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

reddit.com/r/hoggit is good for learning from the very beginning. Teamspeak is Hoggit.us. PW for the server is hoggit1fw. They run a thing called TNN (Tuesday night noob) for people to learn from the beginning.

Once you get the basics down the 104th server is a lot of fun.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

From a previous post:

Stop, take a deep breath, and RTFM!

The A-10C manual may seem like dry reading at first, but once you have the self discipline to sit and read it you'll find it's chocked full of tasty technical and tactical goodness.

The fact is, you have two options:

RTFM - 80% within 30 days - Spend a couple of days to read the manual. You don't have to memorize it. You should just scan it so you'll have the info in your head to connect the dots.. and it will be a much more useful reference in the future.

Click Learn/Vids/Ask People - 60% within 180 days - Click learning is possible in a lot of games and sims these days.. this is not one of them. There are extremely useful aspects of the aircraft sensors and capabilities that people don't generally discuss. You may never find that critical component, that for you, makes you effective in every sortie you fly.

I've read the manual several times and will probably do it again.. it's really good. I'm confident that it's the reason why my sorties contain no hesitation.. only devastation.

This has been a public service announcement by the RTFM Society of Aviation Competence. No chickens were harmed in the making of this add.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

When you've graduated past whats in the Manual you can find lots of focused topics here.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Tactics-Techniques-and-Procedures

These tend to err more on the side of tactics and realistic two ship combat but there's plenty of technical discussions as well that go well beyond the scope of whats in the manual.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Hey there LYeah101 & welcome to the community!

If you haven't already got a YouTube account, grab one and subscribe to these guys!

Gerry Abbot: https://www.youtube.com/user/gerryabbott/videos

Matt Wagner:

https://www.youtube.com/user/wagmatt/videos

ralfidude:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfidude/videos

These guys have some great tutorials and its helped me understand a lot!

Have fun dude!

DCS World 2.0 Open Alpha | CPU Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz| Mobo ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO | RAM G.SKILL 32 GB | GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | PSU Corsair RM750i | OS Win 120 64-bit | TM Warthog HOTAS | TH Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 / TrackClip Pro & Oculus Rift | Monitor: Samsung U28D590D (3840 x 2160) |

Hey there LYeah101 & welcome to the community!

If you haven't already got a YouTube account, grab one and subscribe to these guys!

Gerry Abbot: https://www.youtube.com/user/gerryabbott/videos

Matt Wagner:

https://www.youtube.com/user/wagmatt/videos

ralfidude:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfidude/videos

These guys have some great tutorials and its helped me understand a lot!

Have fun dude!

How could U leave out ExcessiveHeadspace.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5LmTd3HW4qquL9mEOHzfnA

Bunyap Sims

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCChA7JzaWoakPbvpmUzMH5g

Sacrilege I tell yah!!!!!!!! :)

• Like 1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

How could U leave out ExcessiveHeadspace.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5LmTd3HW4qquL9mEOHzfnA

Bunyap Sims

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCChA7JzaWoakPbvpmUzMH5g

Sacrilege I tell yah!!!!!!!! :)

Ooooops, my bad!

Um, yeah, what he said!

In all seriousness, Cheers for the ExcessiveHeadspace link!

Hadn't found that one yet! :thumbup:

DCS World 2.0 Open Alpha | CPU Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz| Mobo ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO | RAM G.SKILL 32 GB | GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | PSU Corsair RM750i | OS Win 120 64-bit | TM Warthog HOTAS | TH Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 / TrackClip Pro & Oculus Rift | Monitor: Samsung U28D590D (3840 x 2160) |

Welcome to DCS! the one thing i will tell you is that if 1 image is worth 1000 words, then 1 video is worth 1000 images!!;)

I learned to master the A10C : 35% User manual 20% asking in this forum and 45% watching tutorial Videos.

Im a year old with it now and still learning.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Welcome! Everyone has a different learning path. Probably the most effective way to learn is to take some good suggestions about reading the manual, learning the navigation systems, MFCD pages, SPI and SOI, weapons employment, emergency procedures and that nasty CDU.

Me personally, I did a combo of the training missions and making my own simple missions on the editor initially. Being familiar with the A-10A from flaming cliffs, I went ahead and tried the campaign with lots of good lessons learned. I would pause the sim and look at the manual if I needed to reference it.

TrackIR and a good HOTAS stick with the right buttons mapped helps immensely. You can fly a mission almost exclusively without taking your hands of the throttle and stick and look around as needed.

Youtube tutorials are your friend.

If you're new to sims (or just new to DCS), I would start off with what's fun for you!

This is how I started, simply because everything at once can be really intimidating.

I'd go over the same lessons / topics that I found fun or interesting until I was satisfied I had it sorted.

Once I could do something fluidly and on the fly I was then drawn to other aspects.

This approach is what still keeps me flying! :thumbup:

LYeah101

As a relatively new student of the A10-C, I found that if you master the startup, takeoff and basic navigation, then you would be able to fly in multiplayer where you will learn the rest of the skills that you will need. First order of business is to get a good startup checklist. You can find a number of them on this forum or I can send you several.

I used to live in South FL and now live on the West Coast. I fly with a group, TAW, where flying spans a number of time zones from England all the way to California. Newbies are welcome and if you would like to learn more about TAW, let me know.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

As a relatively new student of the A10-C, I found that if you master the startup, takeoff and basic navigation, then you would be able to fly in multiplayer where you will learn the rest of the skills that you will need.

Why would you want to learn something so complex as the A-10 by asking various folks in MP?

Why not take personal responsibility for your own training and read the awesome manual that ED provides? You can then make the pieces fit through forums, vids, and collaboration with a squadron...

Why is everyone so afraid of the manual? I like it so much that I have Microsoft Mike read it in my office all day.. it's killer ambient tech noise.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Why would you want to learn something so complex as the A-10 by asking various folks in MP?

Why not take personal responsibility for your own training and read the awesome manual that ED provides? You can then make the pieces fit through forums, vids, and collaboration with a squadron...

Why is everyone so afraid of the manual? I like it so much that I have Microsoft Mike read it in my office all day.. it's killer ambient tech noise.

I love reading the manual during my breaks at work, keeps me sane during a stressful day and gives me something to look forward to when I get home. And I don't know how many times I've read it by now, but I still learn something new every time.

"Would you say we'd be venturing into a "Zone of Danger?"

@Gypsy: As someone who consumed the NATOPS manual in the Navy (yes, mentally not physically :) ) I agree that ED did a great job on the A-10C manual.

- Read01 was a skim through to get a reference for more questions and to know where to look as I'm doing the practical learning of each subsystem.

- Read02 was after basic subsystem familiarization.. 'oh I see! that's how those pieces fit'.

- Read03+ were all 'yum yum.. yum yum yum.. someone pass the potatoes'.

People of course need to understand that the manual isn't a tactics manual. It doesn't really tell you how to fly the airplane tactically, it just tells you how to use the systems without that context.

A lot of what the systems can be told to do aren't relevant until you understand the tactical contexts they were designed for. This is of course the greatest limitation of the DCS manual.

It's not a limitation, it's by design. The A-10 manual reads like a tech manual. It's not an help file... and I'm really glad of that. As someone who read similar manuals in the military, I can tell you that they did a great job with this one. It shows you the functions of each subsystem, then you go translate the functions into practical use by using them (or watching vids or running through the training scenarios). It's primarily for subsystem familiarization, not procedural instruction.

The problem with just using second hand information and not the manual is that you may skip over many features of a subsystem simply because it's not used in common tasks.

The manual gives me a deeper understanding of the bird, which in turn allows me to take full advantage of the complexity and awesomeness of this sim. For this reason my sorties contain no hesitation, only devastation.

There's no reason there couldn't be a supplementary tactics guide that exists alone.

The problem with normal simmers is that those who have no exposure to military thinking or persons with military experience or persons with tactics based on influence from military people are often totally oblivious to how those systems are meant to be used and so they end up developing peculiar ways of flying.

Its fine, they can fly how they want, but in the end the vast majority of people who fly in DCS have a pretty opaque understanding of how the aircraft would actually be used, and honestly given the density of the sensor capabilities in the modern jet you end up with people being overly focused on sensors and less on actually flying the airplane or understanding that achieving a given effect is not limited to using a given combinations of sensors and systems.

Its really remarkable the rather fundamental military concepts that elude people, even when you take into account the full spectrum of videos and resources available.

A perfect example is CCIP bombing. Barring two threads done by the same core people on these forums I can't think of any in community resource that adequately describes how to actually properly use the system as designed and in its correct context. What else there is is very simplistic and often incorrect because when people teach themselves how to do things, and then pass it on, they often internalize lots of incorrect lessons and bad habits, which isn't their fault because again the requisite materials are missing to adequately put that in perspective.

Military manuals that are clearly delineated into categories of information are created not with the intent of being read in isolation but are instead meant to be incorporated into a wider body of available literature. The tactics can't be taught without the systems being understood first, but without the tactics the systems might as well not be there in many cases. A good chunk of the A-10C's systems are under utilized by your typical simmer because there simply is little to no available information on how to use them to their full potential.

I absolutely agree with everything you said P*Funk. Well said. CCIP bombing is an excellent example. Let's look at the two groups:

Never read the manual - Tactics Focus

People who have never read the manual will most likely not know how to use the indicators that provide proper situational awareness and make CCIP effective. The only knowledge of the subsystem they'll obtain will be passed on by the person or video teaching them CCIP. That will most likely be the procedure used under the most common circumstances, and only with minimal effectiveness.

Read the manual, didn't learn practical application - Features Focus

Understands the indicators and theory behind the subsystem, but doesn't understand employment or procedures. Information is consumed but becomes stale without practical application.

So what if these two people both meet up with someone that has knowledge of proper CCIP procedure; Manual Reader will already know the subsystems and after review of procedure will realize how the pieces fit and may fully apply all functions and utilize the subsystem to it's full potential. The non-reader on the other hand, will have to receive subsystem familiarization at the same time they're learning application. The pieces still don't fit and this person disregards half of what they learn since it has no context.

For this reason I think that my chances of fully utilizing a subsystem as a manual reader are much better than those of a non-manual reader.